Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States(1). The three most common types of skin cancer are caused by exposure to ultraviolet light. However, cancer research groups have been educating the masses about the importance of generously applying and reapplying sunscreen to protect their skin without mentioning the devastating effects that sunscreen can have our health(2).
The skin is the largest organ in the human body. It’s meant to protect the rest of the body from external threat. But the skin isn’t some kind of bullet-proof vest: it’s constantly absorbing and releasing things from and to the outside. This includes things like sunscreen. In fact, sunscreen is detected within the bloodstream five minutes after it’s been applied. Hours later, it can be detected in the liver, kidneys, spleen, testicles and brain.
The problem is that sunscreen is very toxic. It directly interferes with hormones levels because chemicals found in sunscreen act as synthetic oestrogen(2). Too much oestrogen negatively impacts men by decreasing their sperm production and the quality of their sperm.
A surplus of oestrogen also negatively impacts women. When the balance between oestrogen and progesterone is lost, women can experience a decreased sex drive and the loss of their body’s ability to build strong bones and regulate blood sugar levels. Progesterone also helps protect women against fibrocystic breasts and breast and uterine cancer.
Sunscreen’s most active ingredient is called Titanium Dioxide. It can also be found in cosmetics, lotions and is even used in food to preserve color. Titanium Dioxide is said to protect against all UVB rays and some UVA. Unfortunately, this protection is loss when the sun actually comes into contact with it. Worse yet, Titanium Dioxide has been proven to cause cell death.
That’s why it’s very important to read the labels on anything you put onto your skin or into your mouth. While there are natural alternatives to sunscreen in the market, we recommend that you try to make your own organic non-toxic sunscreen by following the recipe bellow(3). You can also protect your skin by wearing protective clothing and limiting your exposure to the sun between 10am-4pm.
Herbal Sunscreen (40spf)
- 2 tbs organic coconut oil
- 1 tbs organic shea butter
- 1 tbs organic avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp organic sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp organic aloe vera gel
- 30 drops organic carrot seed oil
- Melt the coconut oil and shea butter au bain marie by putting the oils in a bowl that is placed in a pan of hot water.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the oil into a clean jar and let the mixture cool down.
- How to Treat Muscle Knots in Your Back, Neck, & Shoulders
By Peter Zhou, Originally Published on BuiltLean.com Know that sharp ache you get after an intense workout that is usually …
- Fungus Found Inside Humans Identified For The First Time As Key Contributor In Crohn’s Disease
Crohn’s disease is one of the most common forms of inflammatory bowel disorders. While there are known triggers that cause …
- These Families Are Using Medical Marijuana To Treat Their Kids And It’s Working!
Some parents are turning to cannabidiol (CBD) oil, a cannabis extract with little or none of the psychoactive compound THC, …
- The Single Best Thing You Can Do For Your Health
In this short video presentation, Dr. Mike answers the old question “What is the single best thing we can do …
- 14 Houseplants That Thrive In Low Light
While most plants crave plenty of natural light, for indoor plant lovers, it’s not always feasible to have these sun-loving …
- How To Grow Your Own Medicine Cabinet Indoors For Natural Antibiotics And Anti-Inflammatories
If your pantry is your medicine cabinet than your garden should be your pharmacy. Many people have never tended a …
- The Science Is “Overwhelming At This Point” Wifi Industry Appeals Brain Tumor Association Ordinance
When you grab your cell phone, do you ever stop to think about what consequences it can have on your …
- 10 Nutrients To Prevent Liver Damage Caused By Over-The-Counter Drugs
The liver is a very important organ. One of its main tasks is to filter or break down anything you …
- 6 Serious Signs of Atrial Fibrillation and Stroke
The connection between stroke and atrial fibrillation can be a life or death matter. According to the National Stroke Association, …
- Yarrow Herb is Stronger Than DEET at Repelling Mosquitos (Here’s How You Can Make Your Own!)
Summer is a welcome change of season for most people, but it comes with some drawbacks – specifically, it’s bug …
- Store-Bought “100% Parmesan Cheese” Has Everything BUT Parmesan…Here’s What You Need To Know
You’d think that products made in the United States have to have accurate labels, right? Well, the FDA has issued …
- 6 Ways To Use Banana Peels To Fight Acne Naturally
People will go to great lengths to get good skin, often spending hundreds of dollars on skin products and dermatology …
- 6 Plants Other Than Cannabis That Are High in Cancer-Fighting Cannabinoids
The Western medical system is finally beginning to face the fact that marijuana is not a drug: it’s a medicine. …
- How To Make a Clay Pot Heater To Keep Your House Warm When There’s a Power Outage
Living in colder climates often means having to choose between being eco-friendly or being warm. Most people are not aware …
- 5 Effective Ways To STOP The Constant Ringing in Your Ears
Have you ever noticed that your ears start to ring after leaving a concert hall or listening to an explosion? …