We’ve all experienced unhealthy food cravings at some point in our lives.
Whether it’d be for some chocolate, salty chips or burgers, it’s really hard to resist.
To make matters worse, eating these highly processed foods doesn’t actually help get rid of the initial craving. It only makes you fat and weakens your immune system.
And the reason for that is because food craving is a warning sign that your body is in dire need of certain minerals.
Easily one of the most commonly reported craving, chocolate is often linked with a lack of magnesium.
More than 80% of Americans have low levels of magnesium. This mineral is needed for over 300 biochemical reactions in the body and is also known for its relaxation properties.
You can find some healthier sources of magnesium here.
2. Sugary Foods
This is the most complex craving to pin down, since deficiencies could be caused by a lack of these nutrients:
- chromium (helps to regulate blood sugar levels)
- phosphorus (helps the body produce energy)
- sulfur (helps remove toxins)
- tryptophan (a serotonin regulator).
The best way to end sugar cravings is to eat healthier, which will help remineralize your whole body.
3. Refined Carbs
If you’re craving carbs, chances are that you have a deficiency in nitrogen.
To overcome this, simply add more nitrogen-rich foods to your diet such as eggs, potato and legumes.
Other Food Cravings
The following cravings are less common than those detailed above, but can still happen.
Oily and fatty foods: You are deficient in calcium. Good sources of calcium include greens and broccoli.
Ice: You are deficient in iron. Eat more iron-rich foods like leafy greens, blackstrap molasses and sea vegetables.
Salty foods: You are deficient in chloride and/or silicon. Try adding more fish, nuts and seeds to your diet.
- Top 22 Science-Based Health Benefits Of Butyrate And Its Derivatives
You may have never heard of butyrate but it’s actually an important nutrient that’s working for your body, whether or …
- Clove Extract Stops The Growth of Breast, Colon And Liver Cancer (Make a Tincture!)
Cloves are no longer just for your apple cider or Holiday Ham—as it turns out they have an amazing super …
- Why Sugar Free Soda May Compromise Your Healthy Eating Plans
When you are concerned about maintaining or losing weight, sugar free soda may seem like a great treat to incorporate …
- 10 Little-Known Reasons Why Teff Is Better Than Quinoa (No. 3 is Best)
Quinoa has been the most talked-about grain in health-centered communities for far too long. In fact, the United Nations Food …
- 6 Ways to Eat Healthy While Traveling
Whether you’re travelling for business or you’re on a family vacation, sticking to your normal healthy routine can be really …
- 10 Foods to Heal Your Body & Boost Metabolism
These days, everyone seems to be talking about ways to boost metabolism. With certain healing foods, you can both add …
- 6 Little-Known Benefits of Eating Dark Chocolate
It’s a great feeling to learn that something that tastes so good, can actually be good for us too! When …
- Add These 9 Spices To Your Next Meal To Lower Blood Fats by 30 Percent, Study Says
Antioxidant-rich spices and herbs could help to improve triglyceride concentrations and other blood lipids, according to new research. Published in …
- Is Your Olive Oil Lying About Its Virginity?
You’d have to live in a cave to not have heard about the health benefits of olive oil. It’s a …
- A Raw Carrot a Day Keeps Excess Estrogen at Bay
The endocrine system produces and regulates hormones in the body, telling other systems of the body what to do. From …
- Natural Compound Found in Blueberries Help Lower Diabetes Risk and Body Fat
You may have heard about the miracle antioxidant resveratrol, found in blueberries, grapes and red wine. But did you know …
- Superfood Hot Chocolate With Coconut Oil, Maca + Turmeric!
There’s nothing more comforting than a warm cup of hot cocoa on a cold day. While it’s a true winter …
- 9 Superfoods You Can Find at Your Local Grocery Store
Want to eat well with superfoods? You don’t have to trek to a health food store to find these ingredients!
- This Smoothie Is So Good You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World
Smoothies are the perfect meal supplement for people looking to lose weight while still getting essential nutrients in their diet. …
- This Ayurvedic Herb Has Been Used Since Ancient Times To Treat Diabetes
Gymnema sylvestre is an herb used in Ayurvedic medicine. With a long history of medicinal use, it has potent anti-diabetic …