You use them weekly to get your clothes soft and smelling fresh, but did you know that the dryer sheets you’re using are loaded with toxic chemicals like Benzyl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Linalool, and even Chloroform, all of which can be hazardous to your health (1). There are many dangers of dryer sheets.
Not only are these chemicals toxic when coming into contact with your skin, but the chemicals also become fumes and can easily be inhaled.
The effects of these toxins can result in neurological damage, and create permanent effects on its functioning (2).
8 Reasons to Ditch Dryer Sheets
Harsh chemicals is one of the dangers of dryer sheets. The majority of dryer sheets use harsh chemical perfumes that rub off onto clothing and come in direct contact with the skin, the most absorbent organ in your body. The chemicals found in these perfumes are dangerous carcinogens, and are known to cause liver damage and even cancer in mammals (3).
Dr. Anne Steinemann, a professor of civil and environmental engineering and public affairs at the University of Washington, conducted a study on the dryer sheets to measure just how toxic they are. “This is an interesting source of pollution because emissions from dryer vents are essentially unregulated”, said Dr.Steinemann. “If they’re coming out of a smokestack or tail pipe, they’re regulated, but if they’re coming out of a dryer vent, they’re not (4)”.
The results of Dr.Steinemanns study found over 25 VOCs emitted from dryer vents, with high concentrations of acetaldehyde, acetone, and ethanol. Just one of the carcinogenic VOC’s found in dryer vents equals 3% of total acetaldehyde emissions from automobiles in the same area (5). Making toxins from dryer sheets a highly dangerous source, despite how little it’s discussed.
In the 1990’s. the U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and industry-generated Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) created the following list of chemicals found in common fabric softener (6):
- Alpha-Terpineol: Has been directly associated with brain disorders as well as loss of muscle control, headaches and depression.
- Benzyl Acetate- Directly linked to the development of pancreatic cancer.
- Benzyl alcohol- Causes irritation within the upper respiratory tract, as was as central nervous system disorders, including a headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and dramatic drops in blood pressure.
- Chloroform- Can be extremely damaging to the brain and even fatal. Inhaling chloroform can result in nausea, vomiting, dizziness and even loss of consciousness.
- Ethanol- Linked to CNS disorders and frequently found in fabric softeners
- Ethyl Acetate- a hazardous waste known to cause headaches.
- Linalool- Found in studies to cause loss of muscle coordination, depression, and neurological disorders.
- Pentane- Known to directly cause nausea, fatigue, and depression.
An all natural alternative to toxic dryer sheets are wool balls, which can easily be purchased online or made at home. The wool balls remove as much lint as dryer sheets, can get rid of static cling and soften clothes. You can also add scent to clothing by adding natural essential oils to the balls before adding them to the dryer.
- How Your Smartphone Light Affects Your Brain And Body (Infographic)
Your smartphone screen produces a blue light to make it easy to use in bright and dark environments. However, at …
- Animals’ Antibiotic Consumption Surpasses That Of Humans, Creating More Resistant Bacteria
Due to over-prescribing, many important antibiotics don’t work anymore. Antibiotic resistant bacteria are on the rise and have been for …
- The Natural Remedy That Will PURGE Parasites From Your Body!
The longest tapeworm ever found in a human’s intestines was approximately 82 feet, which is the length of a standard …
- 13 Easy Yoga Poses To FLUSH Stress Hormones From Your Body
Stress can quickly creep into your life and can often be hard to shake. Practicing various yoga poses have shown …
- 7 Easy Ways To Quickly Unclog Your Lymph Nodes To Reduce Swelling And Flush Out Toxins
You are probably familiar with the term “lymph glands (nodes).” There are hundreds (600-700) of lymph nodes scattered throughout your body. …
- How to Remove Fluoride, Allergens, Mercury, And Chemicals With Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous Earth is quickly gaining popularity for its numerous health benefits. Unlike its name will lead you to believe, diatomaceous …
- Acidic Diet Increases Risk of Diabetes, Study Says
A diet high in acidic foods — meat, fish, and sodas, for instance — may put some women at greater …
- 8 Sleeping Positions and Their Effects on Health
Getting enough sleep is most important – but did you know that how you sleep can also impact your health? …
- Former American Cancer Society Regional CEO Refuses To Drink Milk, Explains Why
“Got Milk?” While this was the U.S. dairy industry’s slogan for over two decades, former CEO of the Oregon division …
- 5 Vital Health Screenings Every Men Over 50 Should Do
As each year passes you by, your body is constantly changing and trying to keep up with all the demands …
- 30 Reasons To NEVER Put Another M&M In Your Mouth Ever Again
M&M’s can be hard to resist. Especially, if you grew up with them. Yet, very few people know about the …
- 14 Reasons Why You’re Always Tired
The quick answer to why you’re tired is that you don’t get enough sleep. That’s sometimes not the case, however; some habits and …
- 110-Year-Old Man Reveals The 5 Foods Responsible For His Flawless Health
A man named Bernardo LaPallo is over 110 years old, although most would think he is younger. Like many living to be …
- The Toxic Food Additive In Bread You Didn’t Know You Were Eating…And How To Avoid It
The use of Potassium Bromate in the bread making process is wide spread within the United States; however, it has …
- Have You Ever Heard Of Lymph Leakage? It Might Be The Reason You Can’t Lose Weight
Weight loss isn’t a simple matter for everyone. In fact, obesity has multiple causes that don’t always include overeating or …