You use them weekly to get your clothes soft and smelling fresh, but did you know that the dryer sheets you’re using are loaded with toxic chemicals like Benzyl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Linalool, and even Chloroform, all of which can be hazardous to your health (1). There are many dangers of dryer sheets.
Not only are these chemicals toxic when coming into contact with your skin, but the chemicals also become fumes and can easily be inhaled.
The effects of these toxins can result in neurological damage, and create permanent effects on its functioning (2).
8 Reasons to Ditch Dryer Sheets
Harsh chemicals is one of the dangers of dryer sheets. The majority of dryer sheets use harsh chemical perfumes that rub off onto clothing and come in direct contact with the skin, the most absorbent organ in your body. The chemicals found in these perfumes are dangerous carcinogens, and are known to cause liver damage and even cancer in mammals (3).
Dr. Anne Steinemann, a professor of civil and environmental engineering and public affairs at the University of Washington, conducted a study on the dryer sheets to measure just how toxic they are. “This is an interesting source of pollution because emissions from dryer vents are essentially unregulated”, said Dr.Steinemann. “If they’re coming out of a smokestack or tail pipe, they’re regulated, but if they’re coming out of a dryer vent, they’re not (4)”.
The results of Dr.Steinemanns study found over 25 VOCs emitted from dryer vents, with high concentrations of acetaldehyde, acetone, and ethanol. Just one of the carcinogenic VOC’s found in dryer vents equals 3% of total acetaldehyde emissions from automobiles in the same area (5). Making toxins from dryer sheets a highly dangerous source, despite how little it’s discussed.
In the 1990’s. the U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and industry-generated Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) created the following list of chemicals found in common fabric softener (6):
- Alpha-Terpineol: Has been directly associated with brain disorders as well as loss of muscle control, headaches and depression.
- Benzyl Acetate- Directly linked to the development of pancreatic cancer.
- Benzyl alcohol- Causes irritation within the upper respiratory tract, as was as central nervous system disorders, including a headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and dramatic drops in blood pressure.
- Chloroform- Can be extremely damaging to the brain and even fatal. Inhaling chloroform can result in nausea, vomiting, dizziness and even loss of consciousness.
- Ethanol- Linked to CNS disorders and frequently found in fabric softeners
- Ethyl Acetate- a hazardous waste known to cause headaches.
- Linalool- Found in studies to cause loss of muscle coordination, depression, and neurological disorders.
- Pentane- Known to directly cause nausea, fatigue, and depression.
An all natural alternative to toxic dryer sheets are wool balls, which can easily be purchased online or made at home. The wool balls remove as much lint as dryer sheets, can get rid of static cling and soften clothes. You can also add scent to clothing by adding natural essential oils to the balls before adding them to the dryer.
- This Is What Happens To Your Lungs When You Dry Laundry Indoors
There’s nothing better than the smell of clean linens dried on a clothesline. But in most areas, this delightful sensation …
- 8 Easy Tips To Help You Stop Snoring Naturally
Snoring can be a major problem when it comes to sleeping, both for the snorer and their spouse. How do …
- 9 Easy Ways to STOP Mosquito Bites From ITCHING
Mosquitoes are annoying on their own, but when they bite, these pesky insects can keep you frustrated for days on …
- Researchers Document Over 40 Plant-Based Compounds That Can Halt The Spread of Cancer
How deadly cancer can be often depends on how fast it spreads, or metastasizes, in the body. A cancerous tumor …
- How To Use Honey And Cinnamon To Lower Cholesterol And Boost Immune System
Honey and cinnamon both have incredible healing properties that can help you avoid pharmaceutical drugs. Best of all, they taste …
- This French Beekeeper Trained His Bees To Make Honey From Cannabis
Honey and cannabis are some of the most healing natural substances known to man. While one is available nearly all …
- 2 Ingredient Solution For Knee Pain Relief May Save You From Surgery
Your knees are the most important joints in your body. They’re also the largest. Not only do they support your …
- How To Cure a Minor Stiff Neck In Just 10 Seconds Using Nothing But a Towel!
How To Get Rid Of A Stiff Neck Sitting all day in front of the computer is one of the …
- Cleanse Your Kidneys of Toxins With These Effective 1-Ingredient Drinks
Your kidneys are constantly clearing your blood of harmful substances and toxins. When overloaded, kidneys can slowly accumulate toxins in its tissues, …
- When You Experience a Food Coma, Your Body Is Trying To Tell You Something Important
Most of us have experienced the feeling of a “food coma” – that feeling of heaviness and fatigue that comes …
- Important Facts You Should Know Before You Start Cracking Your Knuckles (Or Neck)
In an interview, chiropractor Dr. JaDean Anderson recommended that if you routinely crack your knuckles (neck, foot, elbow, etc.) that …
- How To Lose Weight Using Simple Math
Keep this number in mind: 3500. That’s the number of calories in one pound. It is also the number …
- Stick a Piece of Garlic On Your Skin And Watch What Happens…The Results Will Amaze You!
You may have heard of the benefits of placing onion on your feet or honey on your chest to help …
- This 105-Year-Old Man Just Set a New World Record…This Is His Secret To Longevity.
The video you’re about to watch will show you that fitness knows no age. Meet Midekichi Miyazaki, a 105-year-old father …
- 6 Unexpected Things That Happen To Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat
Going vegetarian or not is ultimately a personal choice – there are advantages and disadvantages to a vegetarian diet, but …