Depression and anxiety are extremely common mental illnesses, but they’re very poorly understood by society in general.
Because of social stigmas and misconceptions, suffering from these conditions can be lonely, confusing, and emotionally exhausting.
In some ways, anxiety and depression can feel like your mind is stuck in a prison that no one can see.
The In’s And Out’s of Mental Health
Depression isn’t a feeling that comes and goes, it’s a constant state of despair that affects your emotional and physical health. People suffering from depression may have a hard time finding the positive side of everything or feeling hopeful that better times will come (1).
Depression is perhaps more challenging for children and adolescents because parents can have a hard time understanding their children’s problems, which can seem small and insignificant to them and cause their child even more loneliness and despair.
Anxiety can be just as debilitating as depression, but rather than feeling exhaustion and apathy, sufferers feel nervous or worried for hours or even days on end. This anxiety can be a serious handicap in regards to your health, career, and relationships (2).
Neither disorders is a result of personal weakness, a character flaw, or poor upbringing. Instead, mental illness can be triggered by traumatic events, genetics, medication, and underlying medical conditions like anemia and thyroid dysfunction (3).
In hopes of fighting the stigma against mental illness, British illustrator Gemma Correll dedicated a whole cartoon series on anxiety and depression. She pairs her personal experience with the illnesses with humour to help her readers feel understood (4).
She also hopes to spark an open conversation on the subject: “I honestly think that humor can be a savior at times of distress or if you just live with a constant level of anxiety and depression like I do. I do think that people should speak more freely about anxiety. I know that I would have felt a little better as an anxiety-ridden teenager if I knew that I wasn’t completely alone in my fears” (5).
If you like the pictures below, feel free to visit Gemma’s website for more adorable illustrations. You can also visit her facebook page, where hundreds of sufferers have gathered to share their struggles and offer support.
1. The Perils of Chronic Overthinking
2. Real Life Horror Movies
3. Decision-Making Dice for Social Life
4. The Worrier’s Guide to Life
5. A Map of the Introvert’s Heart
6. Depression Land
7. Inferiority Complex
8. Keep Calm and Carry On? Nah.
- Can Talking to Yourself be the Best Motivation?
Although many of us are loathed to admit it, a great number of people are known to mutter to themselves …
- Cut 1 Lemon in 4 Parts And Put Some Salt On It…This Trick Will Change Your Life!
Ah, the lovely little lemon. Full of nutrition, this bright yellow citrus kills viruses and bacteria. Its fragrance promotes calm …
- 5 Natural Ways To Get Rid of Headaches Fast
There are many different types of headaches caused by a number of varying factors. Everything from dietary changes to stress …
- What Happens to FAT, Inflammation and Immunity When You Eat 1 Tbsp of Elderberry Syrup Daily
Have your parents ever warned you not to eat the poisonous red berries of the elderberry bush? Surprisingly, when these …
- 10 Unusual Ways to Live Longer
Want to live longer? Check out these ten unusual ways to extend your longevity. 1. Wait Longer to Retire While …
- Researchers Discover That 85% of Tampons Are Contaminated With Cancer-Causing Herbicide
Your feminine hygiene products may be poisoning you (1). According to a study done by the University of La Plata, …
- Monsanto’s Secret Is Out: Glyphosate Is In Your Food
When growing food crops, any farmer wants to harvest as much as possible and minimize what falls prey to insects …
- 70-Year-Old Man Reveals Secret To Staying Physically and Mentally Fitter Than People Half His Age
Stephen Jepson may be one of the most creative and active people you will ever meet, especially at his age. …
- 5 Juices To STOP Drinking Immediately. They’re Loaded With Cancer-Causing Arsenic!
If you have children at home, then you know how juice can be a godsend in helping your children meet …
- Couple Donates $33.7 Million To Medical Cannabis Research After Cannabis Cured Granddaughter’s Epilepsy
Katelyn Lambert of Sydney, Australia has a rare form of epilepsy called Dravet syndrome. It is characterized by frequent and …
- Why Eating Low-Fat Is The Worst Thing You Can Do For Weight Loss
Contrary to popular belief, low-fat foods aren’t any healthier or safer to eat than their full-fat versions. Low-fat diets endorsed …
- Losing Just 1 Gram of Fat In The Pancreas Will Have THIS Effect On Your Body
Losing a single gram of fat could be enough to reverse type 2 diabetes – as long as that fat …
- Simple 3-Step Technique To Relieve Stiff Neck Pain In Just 90 Seconds
Most stiff necks occur from sleeping in an awkward position. It can also be caused by improper posture. Neck stiffness …
- Scientific Proof That Meridian Lines Exist
Western medicine has long set the standard for hospitals and clinics worldwide, but it’s far from the only healing tradition …
- 12 Minutes A Day Is All You Need To Save Yourself From Loneliness
Every one feels a little lonely once in a while (loneliness). Some people even seek out time alone (solitude). But …