Depression and anxiety are extremely common mental illnesses, but they’re very poorly understood by society in general.
Because of social stigmas and misconceptions, suffering from these conditions can be lonely, confusing, and emotionally exhausting.
In some ways, anxiety and depression can feel like your mind is stuck in a prison that no one can see.
The In’s And Out’s of Mental Health
Depression isn’t a feeling that comes and goes, it’s a constant state of despair that affects your emotional and physical health. People suffering from depression may have a hard time finding the positive side of everything or feeling hopeful that better times will come (1).
Depression is perhaps more challenging for children and adolescents because parents can have a hard time understanding their children’s problems, which can seem small and insignificant to them and cause their child even more loneliness and despair.
Anxiety can be just as debilitating as depression, but rather than feeling exhaustion and apathy, sufferers feel nervous or worried for hours or even days on end. This anxiety can be a serious handicap in regards to your health, career, and relationships (2).
Neither disorders is a result of personal weakness, a character flaw, or poor upbringing. Instead, mental illness can be triggered by traumatic events, genetics, medication, and underlying medical conditions like anemia and thyroid dysfunction (3).
In hopes of fighting the stigma against mental illness, British illustrator Gemma Correll dedicated a whole cartoon series on anxiety and depression. She pairs her personal experience with the illnesses with humour to help her readers feel understood (4).
She also hopes to spark an open conversation on the subject: “I honestly think that humor can be a savior at times of distress or if you just live with a constant level of anxiety and depression like I do. I do think that people should speak more freely about anxiety. I know that I would have felt a little better as an anxiety-ridden teenager if I knew that I wasn’t completely alone in my fears” (5).
If you like the pictures below, feel free to visit Gemma’s website for more adorable illustrations. You can also visit her facebook page, where hundreds of sufferers have gathered to share their struggles and offer support.
1. The Perils of Chronic Overthinking
2. Real Life Horror Movies
3. Decision-Making Dice for Social Life
4. The Worrier’s Guide to Life
5. A Map of the Introvert’s Heart
6. Depression Land
7. Inferiority Complex
8. Keep Calm and Carry On? Nah.
- 17 Simple Home Remedies For Fighting Indigestion
There are many common causes for indigestion – eating too much is probably one of the most common, but it’s …
- These 5 Habits Are Harming Your Immune System And Ruining Your Health
From everyday airborne allergens to countertop bacteria, your immune system is a complex network that is constantly battling to keep …
- We Will All Be Sleeping 30 Minutes Less a Week by 2050 as Global Warming Takes Hold
Current predictions say that temperatures across the Northern Hemisphere will increase by 2C (two degrees Celsius) in the next 30 …
- When Your Doctor Suggests Regular Mammograms, This Is What You Need To Say Back!
Take caution when your doctor suggests mammograms. You can read the video transcript from the interview conducted with Dr. Ben Johnson below: …
- Aluminum in Deodorants Can Cause Breast Cancer. Use Lime to Eliminate Body Odor
Sweating is never fun, unless you’re in a sauna. Sweating allows your body to get rid of toxins and prevent overheating. …
- You Won’t BELIEVE What This Tea Can Do To Your Blood Pressure And How Effective It Is!
If you’re concerned about your heart, then you should consider drinking hibiscus tea. Turns out, hibiscus tea is just as …
- This Green Tea Coconut Oil Scrub Will Make Your Skin Silky Smooth And Visibly Younger
There’s nothing like dry air to make your skin look lifeless and dull, especially when it comes to your face. …
- The 5 Best and 5 Worst Foods For Sleep
For many, the secret to getting a good night’s sleep comes down to two things–stress and diet. It’s important to …
- How to Detox with a Coconut Oil Cleanse to Get Rid of Parasites, Viruses, and Fungal Infections
Coconut Oil Detox “Detox” is a word that flies around alternate medicine circles all the time. But what does that …
- This Miraculous Drink Will Work Wonders For Your Thyroid
A healthy thyroid means a healthy you! The thyroid gland is responsible for regulating our metabolism. It helps maintain our weight, improves digestion, skin …
- New Study Confirms Not so Surprising Fact About Weight Loss
I imagine this one will be all over the news today, and superficially I can certainly see why – a …
- 6 Weird Reasons for Erectile Dysfunction. #5 Will Definitely Surprise You.
In the United States, approximately 30 million men regularly experience erectile dysfunction (ED): the consistent inability to achieve or maintain …
- 5 Toxins That Destroy Your Thyroid And a Simple Drink To Save It
Your thyroid secretes hormones that regulate the metabolism of every cell in the body (1). It plays an important role in: …
- 10 Detox Baths For Relaxation and Rejuvenation
A detox bath is a great way to help cleanse the body, relax the mind, and provide extra support to …
- How To Make Your Own Magnesium Oil
Magnesium plays a fascinating, yet sometimes overlooked, role in nutrition. It is the 11th most abundant element by mass in …