There are many tips and tricks you need to know to prepare clean, healthy food.
Whether you purchase conventional or organic foods, it’s essential that all the fresh foods that make their way into your home be rinsed and washed before taking a bite.
Conventional produce is grown using harmful pesticides and herbicides that are known to cause cancer, reproductive toxicity, as well as damage to the immune and nervous systems (1).
Although produce is washed and sorted before making its way into the grocery store, traces of these chemicals can still be found on the skins of the fruits and vegetables you have at home.
While most people rinse their fruits and vegetables before eating them raw, not everybody cleans fresh food before cooking it, 25% of pesticides are not water-soluble, so you’ll need to pull out the big guns to clear them away (2).
Organic produce isn’t grown using these chemicals, but natural fertilizers such like manure, bone meal, and compost alongside beneficial insects to help them grow.
Sometimes, traces of bugs, insect eggs, fungi, bacteria, and dirt still linger on your food after processing. Luckily, it’s quite easy to get rid of this residue.
Easy Veggie Wash
Baking soda, also known as bicarbonate of soda, is a natural cleaning solution that gets rid of pesticides, bacteria, fungi and viruses. The substance is naturally produced in your body to buffer acidity, so it’s not harmful to ingest and it won’t alter the taste of your food.
To clear away chemical residue, prepare a mixture using 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of raw organic apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
Combine the mixture in a spray bottle and spray generously onto the produce. Let it sit for 5 minutes, scrub with a produce brush, and rinse under clean cold water.
It’s important to also wash fruits with a thick skin, like cantaloupe, since bacteria on the skin can be transferred into the flesh of the fruit as you slice through it. This combination also gets rid of wax from fruits like apples and tomatoes.
- Combine a few tablespoons of baking soda into a cup or two of water.
- Pour it into a spray bottle, spray and let it sit for 3-5 minutes
- Use the scrub brush to clean the vegetables and rinse under cold water.
Leafy vegetables can be hard to clean because of all the nooks and crannies they contain, that’s why it’s best to soak rather than spray them.
To make the mixture, combined 1/4 cup of ACV with 2 tablespoons of salt and soak for 25-30 minutes. Scrub the leaves using your hands and rinse thoroughly.
- Big Pharma Seeks Legal Immunity from Damage due to Emergency Ebola Vaccines
The same drug manufacturers that stand to profit immensely from the sale of Ebola vaccines say they require full legal …
- Yarrow Herb is Stronger Than DEET at Repelling Mosquitos (Here’s How You Can Make Your Own!)
Summer is a welcome change of season for most people, but it comes with some drawbacks – specifically, it’s bug …
- How to Measure and Protect Your Hearing
Did you know that 1 in 5 people in the U.S. suffer from hearing loss, and that 80% of those …
- Simple Herbal Hair Growth Oil For Healthy, Thick And Long Hair
The average speed of hair growth in women is between 4-6 inches a year (1). Factors like stress, nutritional deficiency, …
- Important Facts You Should Know Before You Start Cracking Your Knuckles (Or Neck)
In an interview, chiropractor Dr. JaDean Anderson recommended that if you routinely crack your knuckles (neck, foot, elbow, etc.) that …
- Take a Castor Oil Detox Bath for Pain Relief and Organ Health
Many people over the age of 60 can remember their mothers compelling them to drink a spoonful of castor oil …
- This Woman Cured Her Stage 4 Cancer Without Chemo…(She Ate a Lot of THIS!)
Cancer truly is the disease of the century : while many other conditions came and went, cancer stayed strong and …
- 5 Best Slimming Thigh Exercises You Should Do But Don’t
Most people focus on toning up their core, but women often have trouble getting rid of excess weight in …
- 4 Easy Ways to Detox After Thanksgiving Day
There are many excellent methods to detox, and after indulging in a holiday feast, there is hardly a better time …
- Top 9 Signs and Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
Right now, there are more than 2.3 million people in the world who are affected by Multiple Sclerosis (MS).  …
- If You Ever See Your Kids Sitting Like THIS, Stop Them Immediately! Here’s Why…
Parents often mistake w-sitting for flexibility. In fact, to parents, the position seems harmless. However, experts suggest that this way …
- Perform THIS Simple Massage Every Night and Your Belly Fat Will Disappear!
As unpleasant as it may sound, we need fat in our bodies and a belly fat massage is not as …
- Get Rid of Bad Breath, Plaque, Tartar, and Harmful Bacteria In Your Mouth With This ONE Ingredient!
We all know how important dental health is—not just for the brightness of our smiles but for our general well-being. …
- Canadian Clay Kills Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria On Contact
Is healing clay a reasonable treatment option for modern-day ills? It may become one. As we move closer and closer …
- 5 of the Best DIY Toothpaste Recipes
Did you know your current toothpaste could be harming your health? Yes, from toxic ingredients such as Triclosan (an antibacterial agent) …