Baking soda truly is a versatile, all-purpose, non-toxic and alkaline substance.
Although it isn’t identical to the store-bought stuff, your kidneys and pancreas actually create sodium bicarbonate. This is done to control the acidity of your blood. Acidic blood is said to contribute to chronic inflammation and disease.
That’s why bicarbonate is manufactured by your body to neutralize excess acids produced by the digestive system and respiratory system (1,2). As you age, your body begins to produce less bicarbonate, which can lead to various health aliments, including cancer.
A study led by Dr. Kalani Raphael of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, found that bicarbonate levels in your blood can actually predict longevity (3).
The scientists analyzed 2,287 participants aged 70-79 years old over the course of 17 years (4).
By the end of the study, half of the group had died of natural causes (2).
People with normal or high bicarbonate levels had a similar risk of dying during follow-up, but participants with low bicarbonate had a 24% higher risk of premature death when compared with these groups (4).
“What we found was that generally healthy older people with low levels of bicarbonate had a higher risk of death,” said Dr. Raphael.
“Adding the pH measurement into the equation didn’t change the results, which is important because pH is not routinely measured” (5).
Low bicarbonate levels were also associated with age-related conditions such as osteoporosis, kidney disease, reduced muscle mass and strength, and kidney stones, he said (3).
The researchers theorized that low bicarbonate levels might be an indicator of an underlying medical problem causing mortality (3).
In fact, testing blood levels of the chemical may help identify individuals at risk of early death in the future. Currently, these tests are used to diagnose kidney diseases, some lung diseases, and metabolic conditions (6).
How To Drink Baking Soda?
You can also raise your bicarbonate levels by increasing your intake of foods that produce bicarbonate in the body, such as fruits and vegetables (5).
It is strongly recommended that you only drink baking soda under the supervision of a family doctor or naturopath.
- Easy Diet and Lifestyle Changes for Preventing Diabetes
Diabetes is one of the leading health concerns in the Western world. Type II diabetes, the “lifestyle” disease that we …
- Pay Close Attention To These Numbers When Buying Fruit!
Have you ever wondered what the numbers on some of the foods you buy really mean? It’s actually a lot more …
- You Will Be Shocked by What Caused This Child’s Massive Tooth Decay!
For many families around the world, a trip to the dentist is a luxury they can’t afford. This has led …
- Do You Know Why Exercise Helps Your Heart?
We all hear about how exercise improves heart health, but how exactly does that happen? Let’s take a look at …
- How The Pharmaceutical Industry Is Partly Responsible For Creating “Superbugs”
While antibiotic drugs like penicillin have saved countless lives and eliminated most public health threats like syphilis, there is a …
- This Natural Food Could End The Use of Harmful Pesticides And There’s Already a Patent For It
This article first appeared on JeffereyJaxen. Humanity is facing a toxicity problem as our immediate environment becomes increasingly riddled with pesticides. They are …
- Painless Trick To Remove Stubborn Splinters In Your Skin Using Only a Bottle
There’s nothing quite like a stubborn splinter to ruin your day. The smaller they are, the harder they are to get …
- How to Spot Fake Olive Oil From a Mile Away!
We’ve known for years the benefits of the Mediterranean diet: cardiovascular health and regulation of blood sugar and cholesterol. A …
- STOP Adding Splenda To Your Morning Coffee! Here’s What It Does To Your Body…
You were right to avoid artificial sweeteners. As reported by UPI, a new study links sucralose, sold as Splenda, to …
- This Ancient Technology Helps Keep Food Fresh Without Electricity
In North America, we have become completely reliant upon electricity in virtually every aspect of our lives. The supply of …
- Doctors Are Urging You To Stop Feeding Your Children Hot Dogs – Here’s Why
Among American favorites is the Hot Dog – a fourth of July staple that’s eaten at least once a week …
- Add These Three Ingredients To Your Shampoo And Say Goodbye To Hair Loss Forever
We usual associate hair loss with men, but it can actually be a really big problem for women. In fact, …
- 5 Surprising Reasons to Take Cold Showers
Showering under hot water is a complete luxury and not at all necessary for good health. Whereas cold showers on …
- Wearing Sunscreen May NOT Prevent Skin Cancer, Study Claims
Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States; in the last 30 years, people have manifested skin …
- Unhealthy Gut Flora Increases Your Risk of Deadly Diseases such as Stroke and Diabetes
Researchers from Georgia State University have used improved technological approaches to further demonstrate the role that healthy gut flora plays …