Baking soda truly is a versatile, all-purpose, non-toxic and alkaline substance.
Although it isn’t identical to the store-bought stuff, your kidneys and pancreas actually create sodium bicarbonate.
This is done to control the acidity of your blood. Acidic blood is said to contribute to chronic inflammation and disease.
That’s why bicarbonate is manufactured by your body to neutralize excess acids produced by the digestive system and respiratory system (1,2).
As you age, your body begins to produce less bicarbonate, which can lead to various health aliments, including cancer.
A study led by Dr. Kalani Raphael of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, found that bicarbonate levels in your blood can actually predict longevity (3).
The scientists analyzed 2,287 participants aged 70-79 years old over the course of 17 years (4).
By the end of the study, half of the group had died of natural causes (2).
People with normal or high bicarbonate levels had a similar risk of dying during follow-up, but participants with low bicarbonate had a 24% higher risk of premature death when compared with these groups (4).
“What we found was that generally healthy older people with low levels of bicarbonate had a higher risk of death,” said Dr. Raphael.
“Adding the pH measurement into the equation didn’t change the results, which is important because pH is not routinely measured” (5).
Low bicarbonate levels were also associated with age-related conditions such as osteoporosis, kidney disease, reduced muscle mass and strength, and kidney stones, he said (3).
The researchers theorized that low bicarbonate levels might be an indicator of an underlying medical problem causing mortality (3).
In fact, testing blood levels of the chemical may help identify individuals at risk of early death in the future. Currently, these tests are used to diagnose kidney diseases, some lung diseases, and metabolic conditions (6).
How To Drink Baking Soda?
You can also raise your bicarbonate levels by increasing your intake of foods that produce bicarbonate in the body, such as fruits and vegetables (5).
It is strongly recommended that you only drink baking soda under the supervision of a family doctor or naturopath.
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …