Your shoes go with you every time you step out of the house. Whether it’s a short walk around the neighborhood, a trip to the mall or a hike through the woods, they’re always there.
What you probably don’t notice though, is that they keep a piece of every location they travel to. In fact, bacteria are always hitching a ride on your sneakers and boots.
And when you step into your home, those bacteria begin to spread everywhere inside your house, especially if you don’t remove them at the door.
If you don’t think this is a big deal, try to remember every public restroom you’ve ever visited. Floor tests have revealed that public restrooms house about 2 million bacteria per square inch. This is about 200 times higher than a sanitary surface (1).
San Diego State University’s study of these public spaces found that fecal bacteria dominated over any other bacteria. On toilet seats and soap dispensers as well as every other surface, about 45 percent of the bacteria there were of fecal origin.
Among these bacteria was Staphylococcus (the pathogen responsible for Staph infections) which is commonly found in feces.
Although in most cases the bacteria only causes a minor skin irritation, infections can be serious, or even deadly, if the bacteria gets into the bloodstream, joints, bones, lungs or the heart.
And one version of S. aureus bacteria that is resistant to common antibiotics — MRSA — can be very dangerous. (source)
In addition, according to a recent study at the University of Houston on the cleanliness of American homes, almost 40% of the examined shoe soles were contaminated with the bacteria C.diff (Clostridium difficile) which represents a public health threat and which is resistant to various antibiotics (2).
The study found that 41% of the 127 household surfaces examined also carried the bacteria.
According to Web MD, C. difficile can cause bacteria overgrow, in which the bacteria release toxins that attack the lining of the intestines, causing a condition called Clostridium difficile colitis.
A C. difficile infection can range from mild to life-threatening. Symptoms of mild cases include watery diarrhea, three or more times a day for several days, with abdominal pain or tenderness.
Nearly half a million people are infected with C. diff per year, and while it’s most notorious for infecting hospital patients, about 35 percent of cases start elsewhere, including at home (3).
So next time you enter your home, remove your shoes and slip on a comfy pair of slippers instead. And remember, this can be particularly dangerous for kids who love playing on the floor!
- Aspartame Is Linked To Leukemia And Lymphoma In Landmark Study On Humans
It’s time to play Kick the Can—of soda, that is. In a 22-year landmark study published in The American Journal …
- Taking a Whiff of These 10 Scents Can Relieve Stress Almost Instantly
Ever wonder why some scents make you feel relaxed or energized? It’s no coincidence and we have our olfactory system …
- Mix This with Shampoo To Stop Dandruff And Increase Hair Growth
You never know when you might need the following home remedies for dandruff. Half of us experience dandruff—dead skin cells …
- Must Read: The Most Over-Prescribed Medications
Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) are some of the most over-prescribed medications out there. You might have seen popular advertisements for …
- I Feel 5 Years Younger – An Eye Cream Made Of 3 Ingredients: It Erases Wrinkles Like An Eraser!
One of the most telling signs of aging is wrinkles. And once they’re there, there’s almost nothing you can do …
- DIY Lip Scrub: 26 Easy Ways To Say Goodbye To Chapped Lips
What if it was ridiculously easy to make a DIY lip scrub at home and not worry about artificial chemicals? Cracked …
- 110-Year-Old Man Reveals The 5 Foods Responsible For His Flawless Health
A man named Bernardo LaPallo is over 110 years old, although most would think he is younger. Like many living to be …
- This Is What Your Body Odor Says About Your Health And What You Can Do To Control It
Sweating is good for you. Perspiration cools the skin when it’s hot so you don’t overheat and is one way …
- WATCH: Shocking Video Shows How Unhealthy Eating Habits From Childhood Can Be Dangerous
A short film released recently by Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta is looking to make a point about the impact that …
- Shocking: Obesity Found to Spark 500,000 Cancer Cases Annually
It is an unfortunate truth that both the United States’ and the world’s populations are becoming fatter. It seems that …
- 12 Types of Pain That Are Directly Linked To Emotional States
You may have noticed that people who are often ill tend to be pretty negative. Of course, it’s hard to …
- 10 Little-Known Reasons Why Stress Is More Harmful To Your Body Than You Think
Chronic stress affects us in very real ways, although it can be a hard thing to measure. Often, because stress …
- If Your Hair is Falling Out or You’re Cold and Tired All the Time – Check Your Iron Like THIS Immediately
Chronic fatigue can have multiple causes, including lack of exercise, dehydration and poor sleep quality. One of the lesser-known causes …
- Hamburger Chef Jamie Oliver Proves McDonald’s Burgers “Unfit for Human Consumption”
In 2011, British chef Jamie Oliver took a stance against fast food giant McDonald’s, airing an episode on his cooking …
- 13 Detox Foods To Flush Out Toxins, Fight Cancer Cells And Relentlessly Hunt Free Radicals
You body is constantly filtering your food and your blood to remove toxins and waste. This automated self-cleaning process helps keep your body healthy and …