Pain causes include:
- Muscle Strain or sprain
- Muscle spasms
- Sleeping with the neck in an awkward position
- Sports injuries
- Repeatedly turning the head from side to side
- Poor posture
- Excessive stress
- Pinched nerve
- Holding the neck in an abnormal position for a long period
- Cervical Spine Disorders, including cervical herniated disc, cervical degenerative disc disease, and cervical osteoarthritis.
Neck pain or neck stiffness normally subsides after a couple days to a week. It can be anything from mild, annoying pain to extreme pain. If your pain is manageable, and it’s not accompanied by other symptoms, it’s nothing to worry about. Pain medications may provide some relief, but they won’t address the cause. With the right stretches, care, and strengthening exercises, your neck pain will be a thing of the past!
21 Stiff Neck Remedies
Find out how to how to get rid of neck pain by reading the home remedies below. If you have chronic pain, incorporate these into your pain management routine. Remember to consult your doctor right away if you experience worsening pain or a sharp increase in pain.
1. Japanese Neck Trick
You’ll need a friend for this trick, so grab a stiff-necked coworker during your lunch break and take turns to renew your muscles.
- Lie on your back with your arms folded over your abdomen.
- Have your friend roll up a hand towel and place it under your right shoulder.
- Bend your right arm at a 90-degree angle, resting your upper arm on the floor beside and above your head.
- Touch your right shoulder with your left hand.
- Hold the position for a few seconds as you breathe deeply.
- Ask your friend to remove the towel, place it under your left shoulder and repeat.
2. Simple Neck Trick
This simple trick from the Cleveland Clinic will help get rid of a sore neck in most cases (3). Plus, you can do it in the car before going to work and during your commute home.
Here’s how to do it:
- Roll your shoulders backward and down 10 times.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together 10 times.
- Push your head backward into your car headrest or into hands and hold for 30 seconds.
- Bring your ear to your shoulder 10 times on each side.