You were right to avoid artificial sweeteners.
As reported by UPI, a new study links sucralose, sold as Splenda, to significantly increased risk for leukemia, as well as overall risk for cancer.
The study published in the International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health showed that mice who were given large amounts of sucralose throughout their lives, developed leukemia and cancerous tumors.
As a result of these findings, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CPI) is now recommending that you avoid the sweetener.
What makes the study so important is that it was funded without special interests in mind. “For most food additives, the safety studies are conducted by the manufacturers who have financial incentives,” says Lisa Lefferts, MSPH, senior scientist at the CSPI. (1)
How Much Splenda Is Too Much?
The doses of sucralose used in the study were roughly equal to 10 cans of diet soda per day. While nobody really drinks that much, splenda is found in over 4,500 foods and beverages. It’s not hard to see how eating a lot of processed foods could increase your risks.
And don’t go thinking that eating just a little bit of it every day is fine.
“[E]ven if you consume less, that doesn’t mean there’s no problem,” Lefferts says. “When something causes cancer at high doses, it generally causes cancer at lower doses, the risk is just smaller.”
It’s Better To Quit Artificial Sweeteners
Even if you disregard this new study, there are still plenty of other reasons to quit using sucralose or aspartame.
- Artificial sweeteners may actually cause weight gain, not weight loss. (2)
- Diet soda linked to increased belly fat. (3)
- Every can of diet soda you consume increases your obesity risk. (4)
- Sucralose disrupts your blood sugar and insulin levels. (5)
Foods To Use As Sweetener Instead
- raw honey
- fruits (dates, bananas, apples, etc.)
- sweet vegetables (carrots, beets, caramelized onions, etc.)
- maple syrup
- Onions Can Help You With These 5 Health Conditions
The best part of about onions is peeling them layer by layer. Onions are nearly never eaten on their own, …
- Top 10 Toxins Lurking In Your Home
Most of us like to think of our homes as safe places, but there are countless toxins lurking unsuspected in …
- Massage THIS Point On Your Leg To Stop Stress And Sleep Better At Night
Chinese traditional medicine has long documented the health benefits of various natural remedies. Some of them have been so effective …
- Just a Single Powerful Kitchen Spice To Fix Obesity, Diabetes, Insomnia And Detox Liver
Cumin is a big part of Indian and Chinese cuisine. As with most spices used by these cultures, cumin is …
- Unhealthy Gut Flora Increases Your Risk of Deadly Diseases such as Stroke and Diabetes
Researchers from Georgia State University have used improved technological approaches to further demonstrate the role that healthy gut flora plays …
- 4 Best Facial Exercises To Get Rid of Wrinkles, Eye Bags And Double-Chins
Face yoga is a real thing. Just like how working out your muscles helps keep your body slim, exercising the muscles …
- 4 Natural Ways to Deal with Acid Reflux, Heartburn and GERD
Acid reflux is the backward flow of stomach acid into the esophagus. This common ailment is also frequently associated with …
- 3-Ingredient Shots For Accelerated Weight Loss, Faster Metabolism & Better Digestion
Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but healthy eating goes way beyond a balanced meal. If …
- Dangerous Chemicals Lurking In Milk Cartons And Pizza Box Finally Get Banned By The FDA
Have you ever wondered how they made milk cartons and pizza boxes resistant to oil and water? While some natural …
- This New Device is a Dream Come True for Those Who Dread Needles
The end might well be in sight for difficult venipunctures. Health Today, tells us about a new invention being trialled by …
- The UN Treaty to Ban Mercury: For Big Business or Consumer Safety?
Mercury, also known as thimerisol, has long been known as a dangerous toxin. It has been shown to cause changes …
- 9 States Awaiting Marijuana Legislation in 2014
There are currently 21 states where marijuana is now legal, as of late March when Utah passed a bill to …
- Cut 1 Lemon in 4 Parts And Put Some Salt On It…This Trick Will Change Your Life!
Ah, the lovely little lemon. Full of nutrition, this bright yellow citrus kills viruses and bacteria. Its fragrance promotes calm …
- Eat Better, And Your Friends Will, Too!
If you’ve ever tried to lose weight, you probably know how hard it can be to stick to your eating …
- The EXACT Amount Of Calcium Your Body Needs Depending On Your Age
By now, you’ve probably seen enough yogurt and almond advertisements to know that calcium has become a strong selling point. …