A well-known and successful hematologist and oncologist in the Michigan area, Dr. Farid Fata had a respectable reputation among locals as the man to go to if you suspected you might have cancer.
But for his patients, his treatment turned into a nightmare recently when it came to light that many of them were never sick in the first place, and were essentially forced to undergo debilitating cancer treatments for nothing.
Treated For Nothing
Fata plead guilty in court to misdiagnosing patients in order to cash in on their treatments – and for many years he was successful at it, building himself a million-dollar home and renting out several luxury offices for his practice. Many of his patients, however, were left with massive medical debt for procedures it turns out they didn’t need in the first place.
“I have a mountain of debt – medical debt – from this doctor, and a whole lot of co-pay that I don’t know how I’m going to pay for,” said one patient, Teddy Howard, whose treatments for a rare form of blood cancer that he never had eventually led to him developing liver disease(1).
“The Most Egregious Fraudster In US History”
With over 500 victims, Fata’s malpractice was widespread throughout Michigan. The U.S. Attorney’s office has called Fata “The most egregious fraudster in the history of this country, measured not only by the millions of dollars he stole but by the harm he inflicted on his victims.”(2)
Fata was sentenced to 45 years in prison(3), after pleading guilty last September to fraud. At 50, the 45 year sentence basically amounts to life in prison, which was the goal of the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
“We weren’t interested in bargaining anything away,” said U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade. “His conduct was so egregious. It wasn’t a matter of stealing money but torturing patients by lying to them about having cancer… Chemotherapy is poison intended to kill cancer cells.”(4)
A Million Dollar Scheme
While many victims are left wondering why, for Fata, the motivation behind the malpractice scheme seems to have been money. According to the U.S. government, Fata submitted about 225 million in claims to Medicare over the course of six years – and half of those claims were for cancer treatments. Medicare paid out over 91 million dollars to Fata’s practice, while private insurers paid even more.
Reports have emerged of Fata browbeating patients who were financially struggling – sometimes telling them, “It’s your life or your money.”(5).
In addition to the financial toll, many of Fata’s victims reported an emotional toll as well. “It didn’t just keep me hostage, but my whole family,” one of Fata’s former patients said. “It’s over three years of my life that I will never get back.”
Fata remains jailed without bond.[mks_toggle title=”sources” state=”close “]
- Eating Vegetables and Proteins Before Carbs Helps Keep Your Blood Sugar Levels In Check
A new study published in the Journal of Diabetes Care says that how, in addition to what, you eat may …
- Drinking More Than Two Diet Sodas Per Day Make You Twice As Likely To Get Heart Disease
A massive study led by researchers at Tufts University may give many people cause to consider cutting soft drinks out …
- Nestle Plans To Hijack Michigan’s Water And Doesn’t Give A Damn About Flint Crisis
There are essentially two things we absolutely need to survive in the very short term. One is obviously air, the second …
- Eating 30g of Dietary Fiber a Day Can Help Prevent Diabetes, Study Finds
As of 2012, approximately 29.1 million Americans had diabetes, according to the American Diabetes Association. That’s 9.3% of the population …
- Researchers Successfully Identify Biomarkers In Spit That May Help Detect Alzheimer’s
Alzheimer’s is a disease with devastating effects, and the number of people suffering from it is only expected to rise over …
- Natural Compound Found in Green Tea Helps Kill Oral Cancer Cells Without Harming Healthy Cells
According to the American Oral Cancer Foundation, nearly 50,000 Americans will be diagnosed with some form of oral cancer this …
- Google Is Working On a Wrist-Worn Device That Can Kill Cancer (They Already Own The Patent For It!)
Google seems to be branching out lately – one of their recent projects is a wrist-worn device that could potentially …
- Natural Compound Found In Marijuana Helps Heal Broken Bones, And Even Makes Them Stronger
A compound known as cannabinoid cannabidiol, or CBD, which is found in marijuana, may help heal bone fractures, even making …
- Sleep Apnea Responsible For Early Memory Loss And Cognitive Decline, Study Finds
It’s a well-documented fact that sleep is good for your brain. When you sleep: Your brain is able to consolidate …
- With Less Than a Year Left of Water Supply, California Wants To Turn Sea Water Into Drinking Water
According to experts like Jay Famiglietti, a senior water scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California is currently experiencing …
- Diabetics Are 4X More Likely To Develop Frozen Shoulder Syndrome (You Need To Know About This!)
What is frozen shoulder syndrome and what is its connection with diabetes? New research from the American Diabetes Association has …
- Drinking Sugar-Sweetened Sodas Can Cause Diabetes Even In People Who Aren’t Obese, Study Finds
Sugar-sweetened drinks are bad for you. We’ve known this for some time: many studies show that sugary drinks like sodas …
- These Plantable Coffee Cups Are Embedded With Seeds That Turn Into New Plants When Discarded
Every year, Americans throw away approximately 25,000,000,000 styrofoam cups(1). Even worse, these cups are non-biodegradable, meaning that up to 500 …
- A Father and Son’s Genius Beehive Invention Let’s You Harvest Honey Without Disturbing Bees!
While the health effects of honey are well-researched and thoroughly documented, harvesting honey has long been the domain of professional …
- Eating Peanut Butter Can Help Manage Your Appetite And Blood Sugar Levels, Study Finds
If you’re looking to manage your appetite and your blood sugar levels you may need to look no further than …