The push-up is one of those bodyweight exercises that everyone has tried at least once.
While it may not look like much, the push-up is definitely worth mastering.
There’s a good reason why it’s still being used by the military and sport coaches. It works.
It helps build both cardiovascular and muscle endurance.
It also serves as a foundation for more complex forms and teaches you how to use multiple muscles together.
Often times, push-ups can be difficult to perform because of improper technique.
Here are a few simple tips to help you perfect this bodyweight exercise and to avoid future injuries.
Remember, focusing on quality over quantity will lead to a healthier body and better results.
Tip #1 – Body Tension
Instantly improve your form by rolling your hips under and tightening your butt. This will engage engage more muscles.
Tip #2 – Arm Position
Place your hands under the shoulders at the top of your range.
Tip #3 – Range of Motion
Good body form will help you from using your hips or head to shorten your range of motion. Complete a total extension from top to bottom with each push up. Don’t short change yourself!
Tip #4 – Shoulder Blade Movement
Engage your shoulder blades actively with each push up. This is one of the most overlooked form issues.
How To Do a Perfect Push-Up
- CrossFit’s Dirty Little Secret
Have you heard of rhabdomyolysis? If you are a CrossFit devotee, it’s a safe bet that your coach has heard …
- Natural Homemade Sports Drink – Gatorade Alternatives
If you, or your kids, enjoy any kind of sports or athletic events, there is certainly a time when water …
- 20 Nutritional Foods for a More Efficient Workout
Exercise is an important part of your daily routine, but you might not be eating the right foods to let …
- 6 Stretches You Can Do in 6 Minutes to Stop Your Knees From Cracking and Popping
Are you hearing popping and cracking noises every time you bend your knees? Chances are, your muscles and connective tissues …
- 8 Exercises You Can Do At Work
Do you suffer from “Sitting Disease?” Though the term may not be an officially recognized diagnosis in the medical community, …
- Top 5 Pilates Exercises To Help Reverse The Detrimental Effects Of Sitting All Day
We know that stretching after a workout can relieve soreness and stiffness(1), but it’s also important to keep your body …
- This Short-Burst Workout Routine Will Help You Shred Belly Fat In Just Two Weeks
Got a little extra junk in your trunk that you just can’t seem to get rid of? Forget the gym …
- 8 Hand Exercises You Probably NEVER Do But Should!
Joint mobility is something that we easily take for granted until it’s gone. And while the medical community puts a …
- 5 Exercises You Don’t Do But Should
Getting yourself to the gym is a great accomplishment in itself. Many people never take that step to improve their …
- The Perks of Walking. You’ll Be Amazed at How Something So Simple Can be So Powerful.
Walking is one the best form of physical activity you can do each day. It doesn’t require a gym membership …
- 5 Must Do Exercises For Your Butt
Whether it’s to get ready for swimsuit season or to make your favorite pair of jeans look that much better, …
- Best Cardio Machines for Weight Loss
You’re an adventurous gym-goer, right? You’ll happily try a new move with the free weights, or take a boot camp …
- Top 15 body weight exercises for building muscle and strength
If you’re tired of gym class workouts with gym class results, then you need an exercise regiment that can take …
- This 30-Day Squat Challenge Will Get Your Butt In Shape!
Not only are squats the go-to butt exercise, but they are the key to strong, sculpted legs. So you must …
- Eliminate Back Fat and Underarm Flab With 4 Quick Exercises
Fat doesn’t go where you want it to. While most fitness regimes focus on fighting extra pounds around your tummy …