It seems there is no limit to the benefits of exercise.
A new study by researchers at Georgia Tech have found it does even more than that.
Focusing on the consequences of aerobic exercise in the form of lifting weights, researchers found that doing so on a regular basis–20 minutes a day–improves memory:
“When administered during consolidation, acute stress, both physical and psychological, consistently enhances episodic memory, particularly memory for emotional materials.”
Of two control groups, one participated in a leg weight exercise and one did not. Shown a sequence of images during the exercise in one group and while at rest for the other, both groups were tested forty-eight hours later to see what they remembered. The exercise group performed significantly better than the group that did not exercise.
Many Benefits of Lifting Weights
Weight-bearing exercise helps to maintain bone density in addition to muscle strength, helping to prevent osteoporosis.
Think of it this way: in ages past, people carried stuff and walked from place to place–they didn’t have all the tools and vehicles we have today to do the heavy lifting for us. It’s a more natural way to live.
With all the conveniences we have at our disposal and longer lifespans, the elderly (and not-so-elderly) lose density and muscle mass, which in turn contributes to common fractures and falling injuries.
Lifting weights also helps to lose weight and improve muscle tone. You don’t have to lift a lot to reap the rewards of strength and agility. Regular weight training benefits the joints by strengthening the muscles around them so they maintain mobility.
A proper regimen of aerobic exercise in the form of resistance training can:
- Burn more fat than cardio
- Improve the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder better than cardio
- Promote balance
- Improve cardiovascular health
- Help manage pain
- Improve posture
- Promote good-quality sleep
- Improve self-image and self-esteem
And now we know it can also help you to remember that guy’s name in Accounting.
Throw another ten on the bar!
- She Tattooed Half Her Face And The Reason Behind it Will Shock You
For serious burn victims, the only thing worse than the injury itself are the scars left behind. But this incredible …
- What These Men Just Did For Their Wives Will Leave You In Tears (Of Laughter).
Women, how often do you hear men say that childbirth can’t be THAT bad? If people haven’t experienced labor pains, …
- This Was An Ordinary Flight Delay… Until These Older Gentlemen Made It Awesome
If you ever traveled by plane, you know that flight delays are something to always expect. It doesn’t mean anything …
- 91-Year-Old Lands Her Dream Job At One of Silicon Valley’s Largest Firms (Age Is Not a Barrier!)
The average age of a Silicon Valley worker is 30. But one woman is bucking that trend in a huge …
- Amazing 86-Year-Old Gymnast
Back in 2012, gymnast Johanna Quaas performed a flawless routine at the 2012 Cottbus Wold Cup in Germany, where she …
- He Thought He’d Never Hear His Wife’s Voice Again. Then, His Phone Provider Stepped In… *Tears*
Stan Beaton had been married to wife Ruby for 20 years when he lost her in 2003 to stomach cancer. …
- Astonishing Video Captures The Unbreakable Bond Between Twins
A great deal of research has been dedicated to the study of twins, to learn the effects of nature versus …
- This 95-Year-Old Man Is Surprisingly Fast On His Feet! (Breaks 200m Sprint Record In His Category)
Ten years ago a dentist from England named Dr. Charles Eugster decided at age 85, that his body was deteriorating. …
- No One Expected This to Happen When This Elderly Couple Appeared on The Dance Floor
No one thought much when Charlie Womble and Jackie McGee wandered onto the dance floor. After all, they were just …
- Researchers Make Stunning Discovery About Elderly People Who Live Longer
It looks as though age really might just be a number. That’s according to research by University College London, which …
- 4 Reasons Why Cardio Might be Hurting Your Fat Loss and Muscle Gains
1. For fat loss, cardio is poor time investment and generally not the best idea. Fat loss breaks down to …
- Having A Sense of Purpose Helps You Live Longer
A new study has discovered that people who have a sense of purpose in life live longer, no matter what your …
- Courageous Teenager Gives CPR After an 11-Month-Old Baby Stopped Breathing And Saves The Day
A quick thinking and whip-smart high school student named Abby Snodgrass never thought she’d be using her newly-acquired CPR skills …
- This 14-Year-Old Girl Was Born Deaf, But In A Single Tearjerking Moment, Her Life Changed Forever
Fourteen-year-old Maggie Gleason is a survivor. Born with a host of chronic conditions which included weakened lungs, kidneys, a heart …
- Mind-Boggling Study Shows Yoga Can Reduce Risk Factors of Heart Disease
It’s well known that biking, walking, and running are good for cardiovascular health, and now research is suggesting yoga provides …