If you have ever experienced swelling in your legs (or your hands or feet for that matter) you know how painful it can become.
There are many reasons this swelling, known as edema, or the retention of fluids in the body, can occur:
- A sedentary lifestyle—sitting or staying in one position for too long
- Eating too much processed foods and foods high in salt
- Poor circulation
- Side effects of some medications
Often, a bit of swelling in your legs can be normal after standing or sitting for the day or during pregnancy for example, but chronic leg and ankle swelling—peripheral edema—can also signal a more serious underlying issue such as kidney disease, heart failure or liver disease, so it is always best to consult a physician if this swelling persists.
For cases of occasional swelling however, there are herbal remedies that can be helpful for reducing the swelling and helping your body eliminate any excess fluids. One such herb is parsley.
It Used To Be Recommended by Hippocrates
The word parsley is actually derived from two Greek words: “petrose,” meaning rock, as it often pops through rocky terrain and stone walls; and “selenium,” the ancient name for celery. When put together, it literally means “rock celery.”
There are essentially two types of parsley—curly parsley and Italian parsley (flat leaves) which tends to be the hardier of the two.
While parsley is used as a garnish in almost every restaurant and home in North America, more often than not, we tend to pick it off the dish and leave it to the side.
But studies show that eating that parsley garnish can help protect you from a variety of diseases and ailments including, digestive disorders, urinary tract problems, menstrual pain, asthma, allergies, as well as help to lower blood pressure, improve your bone health, your breath and even help in cases of bronchitis.
In ancient times, Hippocrates recommended parsley as a general tonic for kidney stones and rheumatism as well as an antidote for poison. And according to “The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook,” parsley is a wonderful diuretic that helps the kidneys remove excess fluids from the body (edema).
Parsley Is a Natural Diuretic
A study published in 2002 in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology, showed that “parsley acts as a diuretic by inhibiting the sodium and potassium ion pumps, influencing the process of osmosis and increasing the flow of urine.”
Parsley is also rich in potassium and because most chemically produced diuretics actually lower potassium levels in the body, parsley also assures you do not experience this common side effect of these pharmaceutical drugs.
Another 2009 Brazilian study titled, “Diuretic and hypotensive activity of aqueous extract of parsley seeds” showed similar results for parsley and suggests that parsley can not only increase urinary flow, but also decrease blood pressure as well.
Parsley Tea Recipe for Edema
According to Dr. John R. Christopher, renowned author and America’s foremost herbalist, you should drink at least two quarts (64 oz.) of strong parsley tea per day to achieve maximum results.
You can increase the amount of parsley tea to a cup every hour if you feel the need. When making your tea, however, he also suggests that you use the “fresh light-green leaves,” along with the roots and seeds, if available.
- Chop the leaves and roots into small pieces (you can also pre-chop the parsley and store them in an airtight glass container in the fridge for up to a week.)
- Place approximately ¼ cup of parsley into an infusion basket.
- Pour over a cup of boiled water or submerge into a tea pot.
- Let the mixture steep for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the basket or strain the tea.
- Add honey, lemon or ginger for flavor if desired.
- Always drink parsley tea warm for the best effects.
As well as drinking tea, don’t forget to use other techniques to reduce swelling such as raising your legs by putting your legs on pillows to raise them above your heart when lying down.
Also exercise your legs as this helps pump fluid from your legs back to your heart.
- Garlic Soup Made With 52 Cloves of Garlic Can Defeat Colds, Flu And Even Norovirus
It’s difficult and nearly impossible to go through winter without catching a cold. Most people rely on Tylenol or cough medicine to …
- This Ravioli Recipe Combines 2 Superfoods For a Supercharged Meal Loaded With Antioxidants
The simplicity of this recipe may not be as obvious as it is; making your own pasta can sound daunting, …
- 5 Soup Recipes To Warm The Bones
Winter is officially upon us, and with it, frigid temperatures are making their appearance across the nation. There is nothing …
- 5 Unexpected Ways to Use Avocados
The avocado, which is actually a fruit, not a vegetable, boasts a wide array of health benefits. Rich in fiber, …
- Dairy-free, Inflammation-BUSTING Chocolate Mousse Recipe With Avocado, Coconut Milk and Cacao
It can be hard to find desserts that satisfy your cravings without sacrificing your health. Most desserts contain high levels …
- 14 Ways To Make Turmeric Drinks To Reduce Pain And Inflammation
Turmeric is by far one of the most popular and celebrated health foods of the decade. It’s been around for …
- 4 Aloe Vera-Based Drinks To Boost Your Immune System
Aloe vera has a great reputation for its many topical uses, and is also a popular houseplant due to its …
- This 2-Minute Detox Drink Helps You Burn Fat And Fight Diabetes
Illnesses. Sometimes they’re easy to cure, other times not so much. That being said, having to deal with several health problems …
- How To Make a Simple Remineralizing Toothpaste At Home
With so many commercially available toothpastes on the market, why make your own? Aside from the satisfaction of knowing exactly …
- Easy And Delicious Apple Pancake Recipe
Available almost anywhere and relatively inexpensive, apples are an ideal fruit to bake with. Many pastry recipes feature apples – …
- Anti-inflammatory Honey Turmeric Tonic Recipe And 17 Other Master Tonics
If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two …
- How to Make Your Own Homemade Green Powder
Dark, leafy greens are very important for promoting good health. Packed with vitamins and minerals all of us need, we …
- Make This Delicious And Easy Vegan Whipped Cream Recipe Using ONLY 3 Ingredients
If you’re lactose intolerant or simply prefer vegan recipes, you’ll love this! This vegan whipped cream is unlike anything you’ve …
- This Aloe Vera Smoothie Is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory With Over 200 Active Enzymes!
Aloe vera has an intimidating appearance, but it is full of beneficial nutrients – containing at least 20 minerals, 12 …
- Drink This Turmeric Juice For Its Anti-Inflammatory Properties (Just Blend All The Ingredients!)
Turmeric is a popular spice, particularly in India, where it is added to many dishes not only for it’s distinctive …