Chronic fatigue can have multiple causes, including lack of exercise, dehydration and poor sleep quality.
One of the lesser-known causes is actually iron deficiency, which affects a significant portion of the population, but often goes misdiagnosed.
In fact, even a routine blood test at your doctor’s office may not be able to give an accurate diagnosis.
The Importance Of Iron
Iron is a mineral that plays an important role in the transportation of oxygen within your blood. Actually, iron is an essential component of hemoglobin, an erythrocyte protein that provides oxygen to your muscles and tissues. Hemoglobin is also the component of red blood cells that give your blood its red color (1)
The mineral is essential for growth, development, normal cellular functioning, and synthesis of some hormones and connective tissue. It’s also essential for foetal development. Iron is stored as ferritin or hemosiderin in the liver, spleen, bone marrow and muscle tissue (2).
When You Don’t Get Enough
Iron deficiency anemia occurs when your body is lacking iron and therefor cannot produce enough hemoglobin (3).
Common symptoms include:
- Extreme fatigue
- Pale skin
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Frequent infections
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Cold hands and feet
- Inflammation or soreness of the tongue
- Brittle nails
- Fast heartbeat
- Low blood pressure
- Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or starch
- Poor appetite, especially in infants and children
- An uncomfortable tingling or crawling feeling in your legs (restless legs syndrome)
Low iron levels can also lead to gastrointestinal disturbances, impaired cognitive function, poor immune function, low exercise or work performance and poor body temperature regulation. Unfortunately, you can experience the symptoms for years without knowing the cause.
Some people are more prone to developing anemia, like pregnant women, menstruating women, vegetarians and vegans, frequent blood donors, children and people with impaired nutrient absorption. Certain prescription drugs may also interfere with iron absorption.
Why Is It Hard To Diagnose?
Blood tests done during your regular doctor’s visits typically measure ferritin levels in your blood. The problem is, the range considered “healthy” is too broad to truly assess anemia in its early stages. Currently the standard spans from 12-150 ug/l.
However, symptoms of anemia typically only disappear when you reach 80 ug/l. Ferritin levels also tend to be high in patients suffering from inflammation or infection, making it harder to diagnose iron deficiency (4).
The best way to diagnose anemia is to preform a complete blood cell (CBC) test, which measures red blood cells, white blood cells, hemoglobin, hematocrit and platelets. This test is much more accurate because haemoglobin and white blood cell count tend to be lower in people suffering from anemia, even if they don’t present other symptoms.
How To Get More Iron
Iron is a naturally occurring mineral in many of the food you eat everyday. Heme iron, which is easiest to absorb, is found in animal foods such as meat, seafood, poultry and eggs. Non-heme iron is found in plant foods like tofu, nuts, seeds and vegetables, particularly in dark leafy vegetables like spinach. It’s important that these foods are taken with vitamin C to ensure proper nutrient absorption(5).
If you are severely anemic, talk to your doctor or naturopath before taking iron supplements. Like anything else, too much iron can be just as bad as too little.
As you increase your iron intake, don’t be discouraged if you don’t see results right away, it can take several weeks for your symptoms to disappear.
- Black Lemonade Recipe: The Cleansing Drink That Is So Powerful, You Need To Be Careful When Drinking It
With all the toxins in our environment, it’s a good idea to cleanse your innards every now and then. Sipping …
- Add 2 Tbsp. Of This Coconut Oil Mixture To Your Morning Coffee To Burn A TON Of Calories
Do you drink coffee every morning? If yes, the following coffee creamer recipe is definitely something you’ll want to try (if …
- The 5-Minute Yoga Routine That Can Help Restore Thyroid Levels
Yoga entails more than black stretchy pants and planks. It’s an Eastern practice that goes back thousands of years, an …
- How To Use Himalayan Salt Lamps For Better Air, Sleep And Mental Clarity
Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on earth. Hence why it is used a lot for salt lamps. …
- The Real Truth: Antidepressants Actually Deplete These 3 Crucial Nutrients for the Brain
Antidepressants are one of the most prescribed medications out there. But how much do you know about the side effects …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- How To Grow Aloe Vera At Home (And Health Benefits)
Aloe Vera is a member of the Old World succulent group known as Aloaceae. The plant has numerous healing properties …
- 72 Uses For Simple Household Products To Save Money & Avoid Toxins
Many cleaning products available on the market contain harmful toxins. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin irritation and …
- 10 High-Protein Vegetables You Need to Start Eating Today
Protein is the building blocks of muscles as well as bone, skin, hair, and nearly every other part of your …
- 7 Minutes. No Equipment. One Science-Backed Core Workout That Works
Working out is difficult for most people to do on a regular basis. The main issue that arises is making …
- The Many Benefits of Coriander Seed Oil and How to Use It
Coriander is a savory spice used extensively in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is the seed of the cilantro …
- 4 Diet Mistakes You’re Making that Only Create More Belly Fat
Many people (especially men) find that they accumulate abdominal fat that’s very hard to get rid of. This is especially …
- Teen Invents Bra That Can Save Millions After Mom Nearly Dies Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the main health concerns that women face in this day and age. For many, learning of …
- They Said Hydrogen Peroxide Was Great, But They Didn’t Tell You This
Hydrogen peroxide is perhaps best known for its ability to clean up wounds. But, as this article will attest to, …
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Fight Inflammation The Same Way as Cannabis (Via Cannabinoids)
Cannabinoids are powerful healing compounds found in cannabis that bind to cannabinoid receptors in the brain and gut (1). Other …