Diabetes is a pretty serious health problem, one that a staggering number of people in the United States face every day. According to the CDC:
– 21 million people in the U.S. have been diagnosed as diabetic
– 8.1 million people in the U.S. have diabetes, but have not been diagnosed
That’s nearly 10% of the American population suffering from this metabolic disorder. Not something to take lightly!
Diabetes is already a fairly dangerous problem, but it also makes other health conditions and injuries more serious. For example, if you are injured or wounded, diabetes makes it harder for the wound to heal, and can lead to complications like:
- A weakened immune system
- Nerve damage
- Narrowed arteries
The truth is that diabetic wounds can be pretty serious, but thankfully, there may be a new cream that can help to deal with the problem!
The High Tech Lotion for Diabetic Wounds
Superheroes unite! Chad A. Mirkin, a chemist, and Amy S. Paller, a dermatologist and scientist, have teamed up to develop a topical cream that can speed up the healing of diabetic ulcers.
How It Works
The cream contains common moisturizing ingredients, but with one special ingredient added: Spherical nucleic acids. These SNAs are a tiny version of the RNA present in the human body, but the addition of SNAs to the cream helps to stop the gene that slows down the healing of diabetic wounds.
There is an enzyme in the body called GM3 synase. This enzyme slows healing among those with diabetes, preventing the skin from making repairs. But this new anti-diabetic skin lotion stops the enzyme from being produced, restoring the body’s healing factor to its normal speed. The SNAs in the cream target the genes responsible for producing the enzyme, effectively knocking them offline. This, in turn, helps the body to heal the lesions or wounds at a normal rate.
The cream was tested on diabetic mice, and the results were pretty impressive. After just four days, the mice with the cream applied healed far more noticeably than the control group mice. The control group took 18 days for their wounds to heal, while the test subjects with the cream applied were healed in just 12 days. Not only did they heal faster, but blood flow to the injured areas was much better as well!
Paller, the director of Northwestern University’s Skin Disease Research Center, stated,
“Finding a new way to effectively heal these resistant diabetic wounds is very exciting.”
Mirkin, the creator of SNAs way back in 1996, said,
“This work illustrates the scope and potential impact of the SNA platform for treating conditions of the skin with a known genetic basis. It is the only known nucleic acid platform for treating such ailments and constitutes a new pipeline of therapeutics to address a broad swath of debilitating health conditions.”
While the lotion has only been tested on mice to date, the potential for the cream is limitless. SNAs are non-toxic to humans, so they can be used in any number of products to speed up healing. Paller stated,
“This study further proved that SNAs—in nothing but common moisturizer—can penetrate the skin barrier, a challenge that other therapies have been unable to conquer.”
What’s more, the cream may not just be a method of treating the wounds, but possibly even preventing them! According to Dr. Paller,
“We think it also might be possible to prevent these ulcers, not just heal them, by rubbing the ointment on the bottom of the foot.”
Nothing more than simple moisturizing lotion with SNAs added, and it could be the solution for diabetic ulcers!
- Muscle Supplements Like Creatine or Androstenedione Increases Your Risk of Testicular Cancer
Supplements are all the rage these days! From vitamin supplements for normal people to multivitamins for pregnant mothers to protein …
- Researchers Discover That Plucking Hair In a Specific Pattern Helps Stimulate Regrowth
Baldness is a prospect that scares people more than most diseases and health disorders. The reason for this is that …
- A Medicinal Plant Called “Thunder God Vine” May Prove Effective In Weight Loss, Study Says
A plant commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine, known as the thunder god vine, has been the subject of some …
- Shocking Investigation Reveals Herbal Supplements From GNC, Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens are FAKE!
For the millions who shop for store-brand herbal supplements at mega retailers like Walmart, you’re in for a big surprise. …
- These Plantable Coffee Cups Are Embedded With Seeds That Turn Into New Plants When Discarded
Every year, Americans throw away approximately 25,000,000,000 styrofoam cups(1). Even worse, these cups are non-biodegradable, meaning that up to 500 …
- Hand-Foot-And-Mouth Disease Is Sweeping Across Parts Of The US: Experts Beg Parents To Know These Signs
If you have kids, you probably know about Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). While it sounds like a peculiar …
- Solar Panel Farm Grows 17,000 Tons Of Food Without Soil, Pesticides, Fossil Fuels Or Groundwater
Farming is probably the world’s oldest profession and something that is obviously universal to every culture and race in the …
- Add Extra Virgin Olive Oil To Your Meals To Help Lower Blood Sugar And Bad Cholesterol
Now, an Italian study published in the journal Nutrition and Diabetes has shown that extra virgin olive oil itself may have …
- Researchers To Test Dandelion’s Cancer-Killing Potential In Human Clinical Trial
The Windsor Regional Cancer Centre in Ontario, Canada has recruited a group of thirty patients to participate in an experimental …
- Eating Healthy Keeps You Slim and Reduces Your Risk of Declining Memory By 24%, Study Finds
Many people start adopting healthier eating habits in order to slim down, but we rarely hear about people eating healthier …
- Study Shows That Eating Protein in Equal Amounts Throughout The Day Is Better For Muscles
Go to any fitness and bodybuilding website and scroll through the articles, and you’ll find hundreds or even thousands talking about …
- Researchers Develop Unique Molecule That Makes HIV Vulnerable to Antibodies From The Immune System
HIV vaccine technology may have taken a huge step forward recently, thanks to researchers at the University of Montreal in …
- These 50 Snacks Sold In The U.S. Contain a Synthetic Additive That Can Disrupt Your Hormones
The Harvard School Of Public Health has released a recent study(1) which claims that a chemical used in many food …
- California Will Be The 1st State To Label Monsanto’s Roundup as Cancer-Causing
California just dealt Monsanto a blow as the state’s Environmental Protection Agency will now list glyphosate — the toxic main …
- Even Exercising Can’t Balance Out The Effects of a Diet Heavy in Sugar And Carbs, Experts Say
While many people rely on regular exercise to “balance out” the effects of a diet heavy in carbs and sugar, …