The US Environmental Protection Agency has even released an emergency advisory for the product. This is mainly because they are full of poisonous gas, which is released when they break.
Mercury Is Just The Beginning
Scientists at the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute found that if these energy saving light bulbs break indoors, they could fill the air with 20 times the upper safety limit of mercury in the environment.
This could lead to the following medical conditions:
- Cluster headaches
- Difficulty concentrating
What Are The Other Risks?
Mercury is a neurotoxin. It’s specifically dangerous for the brain, kidneys, liver and the nervous system, but can also damage the reproductive, immune and cardiovascular systems.
Additionally, according the The Daily Mail, “German scientists claimed that several carcinogenic chemicals and toxins were released when the environmentally-friendly compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) were switched on, including phenol, naphthalene and styrene.”
Here’s a Breakdown of Each of These Chemicals:
Phenol – A mild carcinogen which is known to be highly irritating to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes in humans after short term inhalation.
It can cause irregular breathing, muscle weakness and tremors, loss of coordination, convulsions, coma, and respiratory arrest at high doses. via Environmental Protection Agency
Naphthalene – According to the National Pesticide Information Center, Naphthalene is made from crude oil or coal tar. It can be found in things like cigarette smoke and car exhaust.
The World Health Organization (WHO) concluded that naphthalene is possibly carcinogenic to humans.
Styrene – People exposed to styrene are at a high risk of developing lymphohematopoietic cancers, such as leukemia and lymphoma.
They may also suffer from genetic damage to theis white blood cells, severely affecting their immune system. via National Toxicology Program
And if that’s not enough, researchers at Stony Brook University in New York studying CFL bulbs concluded “… [we] measured the amount of UV emissions and the integrity of each bulb’s phosphor coatings. Results revealed significant levels of UVC and UVA, which appeared to originate from cracks in the phosphor coatings, present in all CFL bulbs studied.” via NaturalSociety
These rays are potentially hazardous for both the eyes and skin. They also impact your immune system, damage your skin and interfere with your body’s production of vitamin D-3.
Emergency Protocol for Broken Energy Saving Light Bulbs
The EPA-recommended process for cleaning up broken bulbs is the following:
- Move everyone out of the room – including pets.
- Let fresh air flow into the room for 10 minutes by opening all doors and windows.
- Switch off heating and/or cooling systems.
Gather the following materials for the cleaning process:
- Damp paper towels
- Sticky tape
- Glass jar with a metal lid
- Avoid vacuuming because it can spread the vapors or powders of mercury.
- Make sure to collect all the broken pieces of glass and powder. Large pieces can be scooped up using the cardboard whereas the tiny pieces of glass and powder can be removed by using the duct tape. The tape should be carefully placed into the glass jar.
- Place all the cleaning materials into a sealed container.
- Place all the bulb pieces, powder and cleaning materials in a seal-able trash container for further disposal. Don’t leave any debris or cleaning material indoors.
- Contact your local government authorities to take the bulbs to the proper recycling facility.
- Make sure to air out the room while keeping the heating and/or cooling systems off for a few hours.
- 5 Anti-Aging Herbs To Keep Your Liver Young And Happy (Just Drink Them As Tea!)
Did you know that your liver is the second largest organ in your body? In fact, it’s one of the …
- Your Liver is FULL of Aluminum, Start Eating These Foods To Get Rid of It Immediately!
Aluminum is a naturally occurring metal. But just because its natural, doesn’t mean that it’s okay for the human body …
- Spray This Simple Mixture and You Will Never See Weeds in Your Garden Again!
Killing weeds is as easy as picking up a bottle of Monsanto’s Roundup at your local store—any store; it’s the …
- Doctor Sells His Practice in New Jersey, Buys Organic Farm & Begins Treating Patients Himself
Let food be thy medicine has never seemed so appropriate. Following the natural food trend, New Jersey doctor Robert Weiss …
- Talcum Powder Is Linked To Cancer And Lung Damage
You would think that baby products are made to be as non-toxic as possible, but studies have shown that an …
- How To Use Herbalized Oils In Your Nose To Detox And Flush Out Toxins From Your Brain
Have you ever heard about “Nasya?” It’s considered one the top healing techniques used in Ayurveda. Nasya is the nasal inhalation …
- This Ancient Detox Juice Fights Cancer And Promotes The Regeneration of New Healthy Cells
Although store-bought orange juice is a breakfast staple, it’s been criticized a lot lately for it’s high sugar content. However, …
- Empty Your Colon of TOXIC Waste With This Cleansing 4-Ingredient Apple-Honey Mixture
After the age of 50, colon cancer can become a real threat to your health (1). That’s why doctors recommend regular …
- 5 Popular Foods That Scrub Away Bad Bacteria To Give You Fresh Breath
Nobody likes to be told they have bad breath. If you’ve got a hot date coming up, you probably already …
- 11 Unusual Breast Changes That Could Mean Danger
Approximately one in eight women in the United States will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. Eighty-five percent of women …
- Here is What You Need To Check Next Time You Buy Bottled Water
Bottled water sure is convenient, but are they safe? If you’ve ever turned your bottled water upside-down, you may have …
- How Toxic Is Your Neighborhood’s Air? This Map Knows for Sure.
Technology and humans have a two-way action/reaction relationship. Sometimes technological capacity influences our lives and sometimes we endeavor to devise means …
- Thermograms: Safer, More Accurate than Mammograms
Until recently, the medical community urged every woman over the age of 40 to get yearly mammograms. As the dangers …
- 4 Ways Exercise Can Help Prevent Cancer
12.7 million people every single year are diagnosed with cancer globally, with 7.6 million people tragically dying from the disease …
- 6 Proven Ways to Prevent Varicose Veins
Varicose veins can be very embarrassing and ugly; many people want to find ways to get rid of them. These …