The US Environmental Protection Agency has even released an emergency advisory for the product. This is mainly because they are full of poisonous gas, which is released when they break.
Mercury Is Just The Beginning
Scientists at the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute found that if these energy saving light bulbs break indoors, they could fill the air with 20 times the upper safety limit of mercury in the environment.
This could lead to the following medical conditions:
- Cluster headaches
- Difficulty concentrating
What Are The Other Risks?
Mercury is a neurotoxin. It’s specifically dangerous for the brain, kidneys, liver and the nervous system, but can also damage the reproductive, immune and cardiovascular systems.
Additionally, according the The Daily Mail, “German scientists claimed that several carcinogenic chemicals and toxins were released when the environmentally-friendly compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) were switched on, including phenol, naphthalene and styrene.”
Here’s a Breakdown of Each of These Chemicals:
Phenol – A mild carcinogen which is known to be highly irritating to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes in humans after short term inhalation.
It can cause irregular breathing, muscle weakness and tremors, loss of coordination, convulsions, coma, and respiratory arrest at high doses. via Environmental Protection Agency
Naphthalene – According to the National Pesticide Information Center, Naphthalene is made from crude oil or coal tar. It can be found in things like cigarette smoke and car exhaust.
The World Health Organization (WHO) concluded that naphthalene is possibly carcinogenic to humans.
Styrene – People exposed to styrene are at a high risk of developing lymphohematopoietic cancers, such as leukemia and lymphoma.
They may also suffer from genetic damage to theis white blood cells, severely affecting their immune system. via National Toxicology Program
And if that’s not enough, researchers at Stony Brook University in New York studying CFL bulbs concluded “… [we] measured the amount of UV emissions and the integrity of each bulb’s phosphor coatings. Results revealed significant levels of UVC and UVA, which appeared to originate from cracks in the phosphor coatings, present in all CFL bulbs studied.” via NaturalSociety
These rays are potentially hazardous for both the eyes and skin. They also impact your immune system, damage your skin and interfere with your body’s production of vitamin D-3.
Emergency Protocol for Broken Energy Saving Light Bulbs
The EPA-recommended process for cleaning up broken bulbs is the following:
- Move everyone out of the room – including pets.
- Let fresh air flow into the room for 10 minutes by opening all doors and windows.
- Switch off heating and/or cooling systems.
Gather the following materials for the cleaning process:
- Damp paper towels
- Sticky tape
- Glass jar with a metal lid
- Avoid vacuuming because it can spread the vapors or powders of mercury.
- Make sure to collect all the broken pieces of glass and powder. Large pieces can be scooped up using the cardboard whereas the tiny pieces of glass and powder can be removed by using the duct tape. The tape should be carefully placed into the glass jar.
- Place all the cleaning materials into a sealed container.
- Place all the bulb pieces, powder and cleaning materials in a seal-able trash container for further disposal. Don’t leave any debris or cleaning material indoors.
- Contact your local government authorities to take the bulbs to the proper recycling facility.
- Make sure to air out the room while keeping the heating and/or cooling systems off for a few hours.
- 8 Easy Ways to Help Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disease that is fatal. It slowly robs its victims of their memories and thinking …
- Research: Roundup Diluted by 450-Fold Still Remains Toxic
A truism: when two separate things are combined, they create something new. Not necessarily better or worse than the constituents, …
- How To Get Your Newborn Baby To Stop Crying In Just 15 Seconds
Babies cry to communicate their needs with their parents. They might be hungry, tired, not feeling well or may just …
- The Best Cooking Methods To Prevent The Nutrients In Your Food From Being Destroyed
Many individuals are aware of what antioxidants are, their role in cancer prevention, and fighting free radicals. That’s why, the cooking …
- How to Treat Muscle Knots in Your Back, Neck, & Shoulders
By Peter Zhou, Originally Published on BuiltLean.com Know that sharp ache you get after an intense workout that is usually …
- A Tablespoon of This Household Ingredient Is All You Need To Remove Bacteria From Your Food
There are many tips and tricks you need to know to prepare clean, healthy food. Whether you purchase conventional or …
- Bionic Ear Delivers DNA to Regrow Auditory Nerve Cells
It’s been many years since the $6-million man showed us what technology can do for the human body; at the …
- Want To Harvest Organic Potatoes In Your Own Backyard In Just 35 Days? Here’s How!
Potatoes are one of the easiest crops to grow. Even the most inhospitable soils will gladly incubate a potato or two, …
- 10 Little-Known Reasons Why Stress Is More Harmful To Your Body Than You Think
Chronic stress affects us in very real ways, although it can be a hard thing to measure. Often, because stress …
- This Garlic Syrup Is 10x More Powerful Than Penicillin And Treats Many Diseases Including Cancer
This amazing garlic syrup is something you should always keep on hand. Not only is it practical because its ingredients are inexpensive …
- 8 Habits of Unhappy People You Need To Avoid At All Cost
Happiness is something we all want. Sometimes, it’s easy to achieve. Especially when everything in your life seems to be …
- 5 Vitamins Every Woman Should Take To Avoid Serious Health Problems
We need vitamins for normal cell function, growth, and development. Unfortunately, our bodies do not typically make vitamins, so we …
- 15-Year-Old Puts Cancer Industry to Shame: Develops 100% Accurate Cancer Test Using Google
Pancreatic cancer is deadly. Only 5.5% of those diagnosed with the disease survive past five years. And that’s because it is …
- 7 Conditions that are Caused by Sleeping with Wet Hair
If you find yourself frequently sleeping with wet hair, you may think twice after reading this. You won’t magically wake …
- Dancing Helps Improve Mobility in Seniors
If you thought of dance as exercise, you might not want to do it anymore—like when a 13-year-old child realizes …