- Move everyone out of the room – including pets.
- Let fresh air flow into the room for 10 minutes by opening all doors and windows.
- Switch off heating and/or cooling systems.
Gather the following materials for the cleaning process:
- Damp paper towels
- Sticky tape
- Glass jar with a metal lid
- Avoid vacuuming because it can spread the vapors or powders of mercury.
- Make sure to collect all the broken pieces of glass and powder. Large pieces can be scooped up using the cardboard whereas the tiny pieces of glass and powder can be removed by using the duct tape. The tape should be carefully placed into the glass jar.
- Place all the cleaning materials into a sealed container.
- Place all the bulb pieces, powder and cleaning materials in a seal-able trash container for further disposal. Don’t leave any debris or cleaning material indoors.
- Contact your local government authorities to take the bulbs to the proper recycling facility.
- Make sure to air out the room while keeping the heating and/or cooling systems off for a few hours.