Hunger is on the rise in America where millions of children face impossible struggles that belie their years.
According to Feeding America, the U.S.’s largest domestic hunger-relief charity, 15.8 million children reside in food insecure homes.
Living without proper nutrition means these underserved kids are at a higher risk for obesity, impeded brain and physical development and falling behind in school.
Yet, despite these overwhelming conditions, many of these children are able to face their challenges head on and appreciate the support they get that helps their families get by.
Let’s all try and take a page out of these children’s coloring books this holiday season and be thankful for what we have.
Showing Thanks For A Favorite Fruit
Struggling families typically can’t afford the luxury of buying healthy food because it’s so expensive. Of those queried in a recent Feeding America study, 79 percent said they have no choice but to go for cheap fast food over the more nutritionally-dense options.
Showing Thanks For Weekend Lunches Away From A School Plan
More than 21 million children qualify for free or reduced-price meals at school, which means that they’re satiated during the weekdays, but they may go hungry once they get home. To make sure that kids have enough to eat over the weekend, Feeding America’s BackPack program distributes bags filled with nutritious and easy-to-assemble food items to 450,000 children at then end of every week.
Showing Thanks For Providing The Basics
Families who are food insecure are often forced to make tough decisions, such as sacrificing some of their household’s other basic needs — including medical visits and heat –- so that their kids will have enough to eat.
Showing Thanks For Fresh Produce
While it may seem counterintuitive, areas with high instances of hunger actually also have high rates of obesity because of the costs associated with purchasing healthy foods. Mississippians, for example, struggled the most to afford food last year and also had the highest obesity rate in the country, according to Gallup.
Showing Thanks For All They Receive
In a survey conducted by No Kid Hungry last year, 73 percent of teachers said they regularly see students come to school hungry because they don’t have enough food at home. Teachers also said they spend an average of $37 a month of their own money to give food to students in need.
Showing Thanks For Holiday Giving
On average, Americans waste about $371 in food per year, according to the USDA. To make sure no perfectly good food gets discarded, consider donating some leftover items to a food bank, but try to hand over the healthy items they need, including whole grains and low sodium soups.
- Breakdancer Simon Ata’s Strength Training Workout Is Like Nothing You’ve Seen Before
Simon Ata (the “Simonster”), an Australian breakdancer, is a picture of strength, flexibility, stamina, stability and control. In a recently …
- This 14-Year-Old Girl Was Born Deaf, But In A Single Tearjerking Moment, Her Life Changed Forever
Fourteen-year-old Maggie Gleason is a survivor. Born with a host of chronic conditions which included weakened lungs, kidneys, a heart …
- Courageous Teenager Gives CPR After an 11-Month-Old Baby Stopped Breathing And Saves The Day
A quick thinking and whip-smart high school student named Abby Snodgrass never thought she’d be using her newly-acquired CPR skills …
- Having A Sense of Purpose Helps You Live Longer
A new study has discovered that people who have a sense of purpose in life live longer, no matter what your …
- When This Man Decided to Donate His Blood, He Never Expected to Save 2.4 MILLION Lives… Wow!
An Australian man named James Harrison has been quietly saving lives for decades. When he was 14 he had emergency …
- This 9-Year-Old Built A Nonprofit, No-Kill Animal Shelter Out Of His Garage To Help Stray Animals
Ken, 9, has grown up dreaming about someday having a shelter to help the stray animals that live near his …
- 6 Easy Exercises to Help “Fix” Bad Posture That You Absolutely Have To Learn
“Stand up straight!” my mother used to say as she’d come up behind me and grasp my shoulders, pulling them …
- She Tattooed Half Her Face And The Reason Behind it Will Shock You
For serious burn victims, the only thing worse than the injury itself are the scars left behind. But this incredible …
- This Homeless Man Fell Down. When You See Who Helps Him, Your Heart Will Break.
Most people probably think of themselves as decent – the kind of folks who would take a second out of …
- What These Men Just Did For Their Wives Will Leave You In Tears (Of Laughter).
Women, how often do you hear men say that childbirth can’t be THAT bad? If people haven’t experienced labor pains, …
- The 7 Most Fun Themed Races
Making exercise fun increases the chances you’ll want to keep doing it. Apart from the physical challenge, exercising with family …
- Grieving Father Makes Emotional Plea To Stop Drunk Driving After Losing His 6-Year-Old Daughter
Watch the heartbreaking video of a father who lost his six-year-old daughter to a drunk driver. As he stands by her …
- 6 Unexpected Health-Promoting Benefits of Yoga
The health benefits of yoga are often cited by practitioners of holistic and alternative medicine. Many people claim that yoga …
- 4 Reasons Why Cardio Might be Hurting Your Fat Loss and Muscle Gains
1. For fat loss, cardio is poor time investment and generally not the best idea. Fat loss breaks down to …
- Mind-Boggling Study Shows Yoga Can Reduce Risk Factors of Heart Disease
It’s well known that biking, walking, and running are good for cardiovascular health, and now research is suggesting yoga provides …