If you think antibacterial products are good for your health, think again.
One of the main antibacterial products in toothpaste, triclosan, certainly isn’t.
It’s actually a common ingredient in cosmetics, deodorant, detergent, soaps, children’s toys and garbage bags.
That’s probably the first indication that it doesn’t really belong in your toothpaste.
What Is Triclosan?
Triclosan is a preservative used to prevent or slow down microbial growth and protect products from spoilage (1).
In toothpaste, it’s also used to prevent bacterial overgrowth and gingivitis (2). Coconut oil offers the same benefits but without the side effects.
The chemical has been under scrutiny because the FDA does not have evidence that triclosan added to personal products provide any extra health benefits.
The European Union currently classifies triclosan as a skin and eye irritant. It’s also nearly impossible to filter out of waste water and is very toxic to aquatic organisms, resulting in devastating long-term effects on the environment (3).
The Canadian Medical Association has called for a ban on antibacterial consumer products, such as those containing triclosan for fear of contributing to antibiotic resistance.
It’s also known to cause massive environmental damage, so the country is slowing fazing it out through its Chemical Management Plan.
Although the FDA doesn’t classify Triclosan as a dangerous substance, there is ample evidence that it can cause a multitude of health problems.
Science Daily reports that prolonged exposure to triclosan can cause chemical-induced liver tumors, liver fibrosis and cancer in mice (4).
Triclosan is a suspected endocrine disruptor, meaning that it interferes with hormone function (5).
Its chemical structure is similar to that of the thyroid hormone (T4) as well as other known endocrine disruptors like including polychlorinated bisphenyls (PCBs), diethylstilbestrol (DES) and bisphenol A (BPA) (6).
The chemical has the ability to display estrogenic and antiestrogenic, as well as androgenic and antiandrogenic effects, which can disrupt normal hormone levels.
Moreover, it has the ability to accumulate in liver and adipose tissue, meaning that it can stay in your body and slowly accumulate over time.
Triclosan is toxic to healthy cells. In cultured human breast cancer cells, the chemical boosts proliferation of cancerous cells, thereby quickening the spread of the disease (7). It also interferes with immune function, making your body more vulnerable to cancer (8).
Ditch Your Toothpaste
Triclosan is absorbed by your body through your skin and mouth. It’s in so many products that nearly everyone is exposed to the chemical everyday. In fact, a 2008 study, found triclosan in the urine of 75% of the children and adults tested. Pregnant women were even more likely to have chemical in their urine.
Triclosan isn’t an essential ingredient in many products, so read the labels on your personal products before purchasing them. Nearly everything you can buy at the pharmacy can be made non-toxic at home.
DIY Whitening Toothpaste
It make look strange, but it’ll keep your smile healthy and bright!
- 4 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 5-10 drops of peppermint or clove oil
- 8 tablespoons of water
- Mix all the ingredients, except the oil of your choice, in a pot at low heat (just enough for the coconut oil to become liquid).
- Stir until it starts forming a consistent paste.
- Turn off the heat and add the peppermint or clove oil and keep stirring for another minute or two.
- Place the paste in a glass jar and let it cool.
- Simply store at room temperature and you should be good to go.
- Spray This Oil And You Will Never See Mold Again
Mold is everywhere, whether you can see it or not. These microscopic fungi flourish not only in the bathroom but …
- Science Proves Himalayan Salt Lamps Fight Anxiety and Depression
If you’ve already made the switch to Himalayan salt in the kitchen, why not take it a step further? Large …
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- The EXACT Amount of Epsom Salts You Should Be Adding to Your Bath Based on Your Weight
Epsom salt may look like salt, but it’s actually magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound (1). Epsom salt can be used …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …