Antibiotic resistance is becoming a really big threat to public safety. This phenomenon occurs when bacteria that has been exposed to antibiotics begin to develop a resistance. This doesn’t occur in individuals, but in the bacteria themselves, making it a health threat to anyone. According to the World Health Organization, antimicrobial resistance is present in all parts of the world with new resistance mechanisms emerging and spreading globally. (source) Luckily, mother nature has a few natural options that can still fight antibacterial-resistant bacteria.
How To Make Your Own Antibiotic
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tbsp ground chili peppers
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 3.3 oz fresh lemon juice
- Crush garlic and set aside for 10-15 minutes. This activates it’s most powerful compound, allicin.
- Add crushed garlic, ginger powder, chili powder and cinnamon to the lemon juice.
- Mix these ingredients.
- Stir in the honey.
- Let the syrup rest for 3 hours on a room temperature. Keep the syrup in a glass jar with a lid and store it in the fridge.
How To Use:
Take 1 tablespoon daily to strengthen your immune system. If you’re suffering from an infection, take 1 tablespoon of the syrup, three times a day before each meal.
What Each Ingredient Does
Garlic is both an antibiotic and an antiseptic, meaning that is capable of preventing infection by inhibiting the growth of infectious agents as well as treating an infection as it occurs. It even works against bacteria resistant to penicillin and amoxicillin (1).
Recent research has also shown similar activity to an antibiotic called chloramphenicol, used for typhoid fever as well as conjunctivitis (2).
Honey is an antimicrobial agent that can be applied topically for prevention or treatment of infections, including those caused by multi drug-resistant bacteria (3).
It fight bacteria by acidity, osmotic effect, high sugar concentration and polyphenols and y producing hydrogen peroxide. These different methods make it harder for bacteria to develop resistance (4).
While these different method are highly effective in killing bacteria, they do not damage healthy cells (5).
“Honey or isolated honey-derived components might be of great value for prevention and treatment of infections caused by antibiotic-resistant bacteria.” Says Sebastian A.J. Zaat, Ph.D., a researcher involved in the work from the Department of Medical Microbiology at the Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam (6).
Ginger is more effective then antibiotics in treating Staphylococcus aureus and S. pyreus infections (7).
Ginger has been shown to have an antibacterial effect on respiratory and periodontal infections (7,8,9).
Ginger can also fight drug–resistant fungi (10).
4. Chili Peppers
Unlike some natural remedies which rely on one specific genus of a spice, like cinnamon, 4 different varieties of chili pepper have antibiotic effects. They have been used in Mayan medicine for thousands of years.
In fact, Capsicum baccatum, Capsicum chinese, Capsicum frutescens, and Capsicum pubescens varieties were found to have antimicrobial effects against fifteen bacterial species and one yeast species (11).
These peppers contain two different antibiotic compounds capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin (12).
Cinnamon has been found to inhibit the growth of various isolates of bacteria including Gram-positive and bacteria and fungi including yeast, mold and dermatophytes (13).
A study lead by a team of surgeons, for example, found that a solution made with cinnamon oil killed a number of common and hospital-acquired infections, like streptococcus and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA (14).
Another study by French researchers in 2008 had similar results, showing that at concentrations of 10 percent or less, cinnamon oil was effective against Staphylococcus, E. coli and several antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria (15).
Citric acid from lemon juice has proven to prevent the highly contagious norovirus from infecting humans. It’s considered to be a safe disinfectant to be used in the home and kitchen (16).
Lemon essential oil is a mild antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory, For stronger benefits, include lemon peel in the remedy (17).
- 4 Natural Ways to Deal with Acid Reflux, Heartburn and GERD
Acid reflux is the backward flow of stomach acid into the esophagus. This common ailment is also frequently associated with …
- 3 Simple Tests You Can Do At Home To Predict How Long You’ll Live
Scientists and health professionals suggest that everyday activities may indicate your long-term health in a more affordable and convenient way …
- 8 Types of Sounds That Can Help You Sleep Better
A large percentage of Americans (seventy million of us!) have trouble sleeping; insomnia, apnea, and physical and emotional distress are …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Is Leptin Resistance The Root of Your Insatiable Hunger?
Weight loss might be more than just willpower. It turns out that Leptin levels might be the key to understanding …
- Early Warning Signs Your Blood Pressure is Dangerously High (1 in 5 Don’t Know They Have It!)
Hypertension has become so widespread that people often forget how serious the condition really is. In the United States alone, …
- Three Exercises to Boost Metabolism and Burn Belly Fat
Some parts of the body hold on to fat longer than others. If you are like many people, no matter …
- Try This Coconut Oil Shampoo and Conditioner For Perfect Hair
The more time you spend outdoors, the more care you should put in preventing sunburns and dried hair. Sun damage can …
- Your Depression Is NOT Caused By Chemical Imbalance. And Yes, There’s Way a To FIGHT It!
1 in 10 Americans currently takes antidepressants. In middle-aged women, this number goes up to 1 in 4 (1). These …
- 7 Ways To Survive An Asthma Attack If You’re Caught Without An Inhaler
Most asthmatics rely on medication and inhalers to manage their symptoms in the case of an asthma attack. Unfortunately, although …
- How To Naturally Whiten Your Teeth With This Homemade Toothpowder
Making natural tooth cleaning agents is not difficult. Really, most of the items are in or around your home. When …
- 100 Years of Fitness in Under Two Minutes…So, THAT’S What Exercising Looked Like Back Then!
It’s no small feat to sum up 100 years of fitness trends in under two minutes, but a recent video from …
- Guaranteed! Whiten Your Yellow Teeth In Less Than 2 Minutes!
Every picture in every magazine seems to show people with beautifully aligned, white teeth. While Photoshop likely has a hand …
- The Oncologist Told Her She Only Had 6 months Left to Live. Boy, Did She Prove Her Wrong!
An Australian woman in her mid-50s posted a YouTube video explaining how she eliminated her stage IV lung cancer with …
- Breastfeeding Boosts Your Baby’s Immune System And Lowers Your Risk of Ovarian And Breast Cancer
Breastfeeding isn’t easy for most new mothers, but science is suggesting that it’s a struggle worth pushing through. When it …