The idea of drowning is terrifying.
Sadly, in many cases, drownings could have been easily avoided if the victim had been better educated on how to survive.
It’s estimated that around 400 people drown each year by being stuck in a sinking car.
The Two Most Fatal Mistakes
In most instances of being stuck in a sinking car, the victim tries calling 911 as their car sinks in the hope of being rescued in time. Sadly, some dispatchers don’t know how to handle the situation and their victim drowns while waiting for help.
Other victims choose to wait for their cars fill up with water (and equalize with the pressure exerted by the water in the lake) before opening their car door and swimming away.
Unfortunately, this tactic takes a long time and most people pass out from oxygen depletion before they can open the door.
It’s also important not to close the windows in hope of trapping an air bubble. Not only does this plan not work, but it can also cause you to panic and lose air as the water rises.
The Simple Solution
In an attempt to save lives, Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht from the University of Manitoba has devised a 4-step process that he is currently teaching to first responders and dispatchers in Florida. The process only takes about 30 seconds and it can mean the difference between life and death if you ever find yourself stuck in a sinking car.
- Unbuckle your seatbelt.
- Open all the windows near your passengers or break them open as the water flows in.
- Grab your children and push them out of the open window. Always start with your oldest child and finish with your youngest. If you’re in an older vehicle where the back windows don’t roll down or you simply don’t have time to break them, let the front seat passengers out first so that they can clear the way and escape.
- Swim away from the vehicle and towards safety.
This simple rescue plan should be shared with your family members to avoid panic in the case of a real emergency and increase everyone’s chance of survival. Think of it as an another part of your emergency preparedness plan, just like your family fire or tornado drill.
It’s also a good idea to purchase a keychain car escape tool at your local hardware store or online. These tools can break a car window and double up to cut your seatbelt if you get stuck.
Not convinced? Here’s what happens if you try to open the door:
How To Use Headrest To Break Car Window (0:25)
- Reduce Bloating And Drop Water Weight In 7 Days With Jillian Michaels’ Detox Drink
Feeling bloated, tired or both? You’re not alone. Every day millions of Americans are exposed to environmental toxins. Whether it’s …
- 20 Fruits, Veggies And Herbs You Can Grow At Home For An ENDLESS Supply of Organic And Free Food
Although growing your own food may seem like a daunting task now, before grocery stores came about, having a garden …
- Doctor Sells His Practice in New Jersey, Buys Organic Farm & Begins Treating Patients Himself
Let food be thy medicine has never seemed so appropriate. Following the natural food trend, New Jersey doctor Robert Weiss …
- These 5 Habits Are Harming Your Immune System And Ruining Your Health
From everyday airborne allergens to countertop bacteria, your immune system is a complex network that is constantly battling to keep …
- Study Finds 1 in 3 Cases of Alzheimer’s is Preventable.
First, the statistics: over 5 million people currently have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in the United States alone, almost …
- Top 9 Signs and Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
Right now, there are more than 2.3 million people in the world who are affected by Multiple Sclerosis (MS).  …
- This Simple DIY Foot Massage Will Do Wonders For Your Sleep Tonight!
The rise of technology may make life easier, but it’s also interfering with some of your important instincts and biological …
- The Simple Sock Trick That Can Stop Your Car Windows From Fogging Up Ever Again
Winter mornings are difficult. Whether it’s shoveling snow, warming up the car, or clearing ice from your windshield, cold weather …
- 6 Surprising Ways To Use Garlic In The Garden
As you probably already know, eating garlic is good for you. What you probably didn’t know is that it can also be …
- 2 Ingredient Solution For Knee Pain Relief May Save You From Surgery
Your knees are the most important joints in your body. They’re also the largest. Not only do they support your …
- The Natural Remedy That Will PURGE Parasites From Your Body!
The longest tapeworm ever found in a human’s intestines was approximately 82 feet, which is the length of a standard …
- 5 Hidden Ways Intravenous Curcumin Combats Cancer Growth
Curcumin is the active phytochemical in turmeric that has been found effective in preventing and treating a variety of maladies, …
- Powdered Alcohol – Important Things You Should Know
Earlier this week, an Internet frenzy unleashed the news that powdered alcohol will be available soon in the US. Announcements …
- 8 Proven Weight Loss Tips For Women: Watch The Pounds Melt Away
Women are naturally predisposed to have a higher BMI than men (1). This is because women need a certain amount …
- Take 1 Tbsp Of Apple Cider Vinegar For 60 Days To Eliminate Acid Reflux And Candida
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a popular superfood with amazing health benefits. Those of you who drink this everyday know firsthand how helpful …