You may be suffering from sciatic pain, if your lower back pain radiates from the lumbar region through the back of your thighs and bottom down to your knees.
It may also move into your heel, calf, and heel as well. Tingling sensations in this region are generally a sign of sciatic nerve issues as well.
The Nervus ischiadicus, or sciatic nerve, causes a great deal of pain because it is one of the biggest nerves in your body.
The pain it causes is referred to as sciatica and can range from uncomfortable to excruciating. Sciatica pain can be severe enough to completely disrupt your daily activities.
There is a simple therapy which can bring you relief from your pain as well as help reduce sciatica flare ups.
Massage and muscle manipulation have been shown to be effective methods of treating sciatic nerve pain. (1)
Tennis Ball & Sciatic Therapy
Therapy sessions involving the use of a tennis ball can be used to apply pressure and manipulation to the piriformis muscle.
When this muscle is tense and/or inflamed it presses against your sciatic nerve compressing the nerve into tendons in the same vicinity. This compression often results in intense pain.
With the help of a tennis ball you can improve your circulation and relieve aching in your muscles.
Lie on the floor and place a tennis ball under the lower portion of your back. It should be directly under the muscles that are tense and ache. Depending upon the circumference of the area, you may want to consider using more than one ball.
Carefully press your back into the ball and gently roll it around to locate the tender areas. This point is the trigger. Apply a bit more pressure to these trigger points for about 20 seconds each. Move your body to roll the ball up and down these areas as well.
Be extremely careful while performing this. The goal is to relieve pain, not increase it. It may be a bit uncomfortable at first; however, it should not increase your pain.
This should be repeated several times a day during intensely painful flare ups. There are a number of other methods for dealing with sciatica which are natural, effective, and simple to implement.
Other Effective Treatments
Heat and ice therapies can be helpful for pain and inflammation in some cases. (2)
Valerian root extract has been proven to exhibit anxiolytic, or tension and anxiety reducing, actions. (3)
Numerous plant properties have the ability to reduce inflammation. Relaxation and anti-inflammatories are like a one two punch to sciatic and many other types of pain.
- White Willow Bark acts much like aspirin; however, it does not produce many of the same unwanted side effects.
- Turmeric (Curcumin) acts as a non-steroidal agent effective for treating inflammation.
- Green Tea can reduce inflammation and offers beneficial antioxidants as well.
- Chili Pepper (Capsaicin) offers significant anti-inflammatory effects. It also produces a heating sensation when added to massage oils which can aid in relaxing tense muscles.
Note: While NSAIDs also reduce pain, they are extremely harsh on the digestive system and are not recommended for certain patients with specific disorders.
This exercise will ease your discomfort, if the pain is due to muscle inflammation and tension.
However, if your pain is caused by a slipped disc or a symptom of a degenerative disc disease, it is extremely important to seek immediate medical attention.
- 5 Foot Exercises To Relieve Back, Hip, And Knee Pain In 20 Minutes or Less
Your feet are a lot more important than you think. In fact, muscle weakness in your feet can cause hip, …
- 10 Exercises That Burn More Fat Than Running
Running is a great cardiovascular exercise to burn fat. Depending on your fitness levels, running can be an excellent way …
- 6 Stretches You Can Do in 6 Minutes to Stop Your Knees From Cracking and Popping
Are you hearing popping and cracking noises every time you bend your knees? Chances are, your muscles and connective tissues …
- 10 Week No-Gym Home Workout Plan
Losing weight can seem daunting when you’ve struggled with maintaining your weight for a long time. Part of the struggle …
- 5 Benefits of Early Morning Exercise
Most of us aren’t so crazy about getting up at the crack of dawn for fun things, let alone for exercise (not …
- Effective 2-Minute Stretching Technique Will Help Adjust Your Spine And Reduce Back Pain
Your spine is the most important set of bones you have. Not only does it support your head, it also …
- This Short-Burst Workout Routine Will Help You Shred Belly Fat In Just Two Weeks
Got a little extra junk in your trunk that you just can’t seem to get rid of? Forget the gym …
- The Best Exercises To Relieve And Heal Sciatica Nerve Pain
“Oh, my aching back!” If you find yourself saying that on a regular basis, you may be suffering from sciatica, …
- 7 Key Moves That Get Rid Of Stubborn Arm Fat
It seems like there are plenty of exercises for stubborn belly fat, or even for thinning your thighs and toning …
- This Simple Stretch Stops Knee Pain Fast!
Love makes you weak in the knees but it doesn’t hurt. Many people suffer from knee pain—it’s estimated that by …
- 18 Easy Stretches in 18 Minutes to Help Reduce Back Pain
Back pain is the second most common reason people seek medical attention. When your back hurts, every movement is difficult …
- These 8 Brilliant Yoga Poses Will Fix The Damage Your Desk Job Is Doing To Your Body
There is a new theory that “sitting” is the new “smoking” in terms of negative health effects. That is a …
- This Is What The Shape of Your Butt Says About Your Health
Your body shape—specifically, the shape of your butt — says a lot about your general health. The health world puts …
- One Simple Exercise To Help Strengthen The Core and Lower Body
Okay, today you’re going to learn how to reverse plank. One of the first places you gain weight is typically …
- How to Make Walking MORE Effective Than Running for Stress, Sleep, Hypertension and Pain
If you are tired of the hour-long continuous and exhausting cardio routines that in reality are only getting you marginal …