You may be suffering from sciatic pain, if your lower back pain radiates from the lumbar region through the back of your thighs and bottom down to your knees.
It may also move into your heel, calf, and heel as well. Tingling sensations in this region are generally a sign of sciatic nerve issues as well.
The Nervus ischiadicus, or sciatic nerve, causes a great deal of pain because it is one of the biggest nerves in your body.
There is a simple therapy which can bring you relief from your pain as well as help reduce sciatica flare ups.
Massage and muscle manipulation have been shown to be effective methods of treating sciatic nerve pain. (1)
See also: sciatica stretches
Tennis Ball & Sciatic Therapy
Therapy sessions involving the use of a tennis ball can be used to apply pressure and manipulation to the piriformis muscle.
When this muscle is tense and/or inflamed it presses against your sciatic nerve compressing the nerve into tendons in the same vicinity. This compression often results in intense pain.
With the help of a tennis ball you can improve your circulation and relieve aching in your muscles.
Lie on the floor and place a tennis ball under the lower portion of your back. It should be directly under the muscles that are tense and ache. Depending upon the circumference of the area, you may want to consider using more than one ball.
Carefully press your back into the ball and gently roll it around to locate the tender areas. This point is the trigger. Apply a bit more pressure to these trigger points for about 20 seconds each. Move your body to roll the ball up and down these areas as well.
Be extremely careful while performing this. The goal is to relieve pain, not increase it. It may be a bit uncomfortable at first; however, it should not increase your pain.
This should be repeated several times a day during intensely painful flare ups. There are a number of other methods for dealing with sciatica which are natural, effective, and simple to implement.
Other Effective Treatments
Heat and ice therapies can be helpful for pain and inflammation in some cases. (2)
Valerian root extract has been proven to exhibit anxiolytic, or tension and anxiety reducing, actions. (3)
Numerous plant properties have the ability to reduce inflammation. Relaxation and anti-inflammatories are like a one two punch to sciatic and many other types of pain.
- White Willow Bark acts much like aspirin; however, it does not produce many of the same unwanted side effects.
- Turmeric (Curcumin) acts as a non-steroidal agent effective for treating inflammation.
- Green Tea can reduce inflammation and offers beneficial antioxidants as well.
- Chili Pepper (Capsaicin) offers significant anti-inflammatory effects. It also produces a heating sensation when added to massage oils which can aid in relaxing tense muscles.
Note: While NSAIDs also reduce pain, they are extremely harsh on the digestive system and are not recommended for certain patients with specific disorders.
This exercise will ease your discomfort, if the pain is due to muscle inflammation and tension.
However, if your pain is caused by a slipped disc or a symptom of a degenerative disc disease, it is extremely important to seek immediate medical attention.
- The Best Exercises To Relieve And Heal Sciatica Nerve Pain
“Oh, my aching back!” If you find yourself saying that on a regular basis, you may be suffering from sciatica, …
- 5 Ways to Deal With Sciatica Pain That Doesn’t Involve Surgery
Sciatica is a painful condition which affects many people. The condition is highlighted by pain and numbness which radiates down …
- Rub Pain-RELIEVING Essential Oil Blends Directly On Your Sciatic Nerve For Immediate Pain Relief
There’s nothing worse than feeling a pain that just doesn’t seem to go away, especially when it begins to limit …
- 1-Minute Stretching Routine To Reduce Sciatica And Lower Back Pain
If you have back pain or sciatic nerve pain, avoid taking drugs which are typically prescribed as a first line …
- The Hidden Muscle Causing Your Sciatica Pain And 2 Easy Stretches For INSTANT Relief
Many people suffer from sciatica, a painful lower back condition caused by a pinched nerve. Sciatica can cause severe mobility …
- Simple 7-Minute Routine To Prevent Sciatica Pain
Sciatica pain is a common problem affecting Americans young and old. This pain spread from your lower back, to your …
- 8 Remedies For Sciatica Pain You NEED to Try Before Putting Another Painkiller in Your Mouth
The sciatic nerve is the longest in the body, running from each side of the lower spine through the buttock, …
- Researchers Say That THIS Natural Anti-Inflammatory Spice Is Effective For Sciatica Pain
Lower back sciatica pain can be a highly debilitating problem. If you slip a disc or pinch a nerve in …
- Easy And Effective Yoga Stretches For Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief
If you’ve ever had numbness, pain and weakness starting in your lower back and traveling down the sciatic nerve in …