Feet aren’t pretty, but they sure are useful. Think about it, all day they carry you around, holding up your weight and provide proper balance. And yet, sore feet often go ignored at the end of a long day.
Many cultures have seen the importance of feet and have developed and perfected ways to ensure that they stay healthy.
While self-care is definitely a great reason for a foot massage, in many cultures, foot reflexology is a regular health regimen that is used for the whole body and here’s why you should start using it as well.
What Is Reflexology?
Reflexology has been used for the past 5000 years in Egyptian, Indian, Chinese and Native American societies. It’s also been present in Europe since the 14th century (1).
It’s described as the application of appropriate pressure to specific points and areas on the feet, hands, or ears.
Reflexologists believe that these areas and reflex points correspond to different body organs and systems in the body, and pressing them offers a beneficial effect on these areas as well as the person’s general health. via UniversityOfMinnesota
A study made available through the US National Library Of Medicine found that self-foot reflexology may be an effective nursing intervention in reducing perceived stress and fatigue and in improving blood circulation.
Reflexology is also said to:
- Stimulate muscles and nerves
- Lessen stiffness
- Stimulate the lymphatic system
- Help to lower blood pressure
- Improve immunity
- Increase metabolism
- Relieve headaches and migraines
- Relieve pain
- Normalize body functions
- Lead to better sleep
How To Use Reflexology
To promote circulation, it’s best to target organs such as the heart, lungs, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands, kidneys, ureters, and bladder.
- To preform reflexology, start by washing your feet with warm water.
- Dry them with a clean towel and sit comfortably.
- Cross your left leg unto your right leg, resting your left ankle onto your right knee.
- Place the towel under your ankle to prevent staining your clothes.
- Then, mix 1-2 drops of lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, or tea tree essential oil with a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Warm the mixture with your hands and start applying it to your foot.
- Start by rubbing your foot in long, gentle strokes from your ankles to your toes for a few minutes.
- Next, squeeze, pull and twist each toe one at a time, moving from the joint to the tip and the largest toe to the smallest.
- Using both thumbs, massage the soles of your foot, applying firm pressure for a few seconds to each spot. You can learn specific techniques here.
- Use the chart to guide your hands to problem spots.
- Massage heels, ankles and achilles areas.
- Don’t forget to massage the tops of your feet too!
- Once done, slip on a clean sock and repeat these steps on the other foot.
Experts recommend giving yourself a foot massage every night for the best results. You can also repeat it first thing in the morning or anytime you’re experiencing cold hands or feet.
- 13 Effective Ways to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Without Using Chemicals
Adult bed bugs are about the size of an apple seed, but their eggs can be as small as a …
- Big Pharma Is Synthesizing Cannabis To Make A Patent-able Pill And It’s Killing People
Cannabis is conjuring up a storm in the world of natural medicine. That’s because cannabis contains healthy compounds called endocannabinoids. …
- The Ultimate Detox Bath
We unknowingly put a lot of toxins in our bodies. Pollution, stress and other factors create this combination that makes …
- 64 Year Old Man Was Sentenced to 30 Days in Jail for Collecting Rainwater on His Own Property.
Many people–especially those living in suburban and rural areas–try to live more sustainable lives, relying less on others to provide …
- You’re Texting All Wrong and It’s Killing Your Spine
Are you on Facebook surfing right now? Or perhaps texting your friends via cellphone? If you are then stop for a …
- 70-Year-Old Man Reveals Secret To Staying Physically and Mentally Fitter Than People Half His Age
Stephen Jepson may be one of the most creative and active people you will ever meet, especially at his age. …
- 5 Unhealthy Habits That’s Aging You Faster (You Need to STOP Doing These!)
Aging today has taken on a whole new meaning than it did a hundred years ago. People worry less about …
- Man Diagnosed with Terminal Lung Cancer Heals Himself with Honey and Spices
Thirteen years ago, Croatian doctors told Ante Kresich that his lung cancer was beyond treatment and to get things in …
- This Is Why You Should Never Let Your Dog Lick You!
Warning: the content that follows is not for the squeamish. Humans and dogs have been companions for thousands of years …
- Doctor Pleads Guilty to Ordering Unnecessary Chemotherapy and Billing Medicare
Say it ain’t so, Joe. A Detroit doctor recently pleaded guilty to prescribing unnecessary tests, chemotherapy and other drugs that …
- How To Cure a Minor Stiff Neck In Just 10 Seconds Using Nothing But a Towel!
How To Get Rid Of A Stiff Neck Sitting all day in front of the computer is one of the …
- Doctors Urge Parents To Save Their Kid’s Baby Teeth…Here’s Why!
Move over tooth fairy, modern medicine has found a new life for lost teeth. Inside baby teeth is dental pulp, …
- How To Drink Your Excess Weight Away In 8 Weeks
It’s no secret that obesity has become one of the most wide-spread medical conditions worldwide. And while being overweight is …
- This Is Definitely One of The Best Drug Commercials You’ll Ever See!
Nature RX, Part 1 is the first video in a three-part series that show how spending more time in nature improves your …
- 40 Different Studies that Confirm GMO Foods are Destroying Your Health
You would have to be living under a rock to have not at least heard of genetically modified (GMOs) produce. The …