Are you part of the nearly 20% of the U.S. population who suffers from dandruff?
While having dandruff certainly is embarrassing, the good news is that this issue is completely harmless.
Even better news, no drugs or pharmaceutical solutions are required to get rid of dandruff – there are numerous natural home remedies for dandruff that can be utilized.
What is Dandruff? What Causes Dandruff?
Dandruff is characterized by small white flakes falling from the scalp. While a small amount is normal, as dead skin cells flake off your scalp, many people experience an unusually large amount of flaking, often leading their shoulders to be covered in what resembles tiny white snowflakes. The flaking is often accompanied by an itchy scalp, redness, and irritation.
Numerous reasons have been suggested for the cause of dandruff; blame has been put on dry skin, oily skin, diet, hygiene, over-washing or under-washing your hair, and stress. But more often than not, scientists have found that dandruff is actually the result of a fungal infection. Two of the fungal infections pinpointed are:
- Pityriasis capitis
- Malassezia globosa
But regardless of the cause, rest assured that there are many natural solutions you can use to get rid of dandruff naturally. Here are 7 home remedies for dandruff.
7 Home Remedies for Dandruff – How to Get Rid of Dandruff Naturally
1. Apple Cider Vinegar – A favorite natural remedy of users on EarthClinic, apple cider vinegar is great for killing the fungus that causes the dandruff. To experiences ACVs amazing beneficial properties, simply dilute the liquid with water at equal parts and use the mixture as a shampoo. People report this treatment to provide instant relief from itchiness, while getting rid of dandruff with just a few applications over the course of a few days.
2. A Quality Probiotic – As you expect, internal treatments are another great solution for dandruff. Specifically, a probiotic strain of bacillus laterosporus should be enough to not only take care of dandruff, but help to boost overall health by replenishing the beneficial bacteria within your gut. Gut flora is extremely important for optimal health.
3. Oregano Oil or Tea Tree Oil – Both oregano oil and tea tree oil possess natural antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that can reduce inflammation and treat infections. Try taking oregano oil internally, or applying oregano oil and tea tree oil on the scalp.
4. Coconut Oil – Adding on to the home remedies for dandruff, coconut oil is another amazing anti-fungal food that is capable of killing fungus and eliminating dandruff. Just a few teaspoons applied to the hair and scalp should be enough to rid you of dandruff and provide a nice shine to your hair. Melt some coconut oil and include 5-9 drops of pure tea tree oil for every 5 tablespoons of coconut oil. This could work in as little as two applications. Ingesting coconut oil daily can also help.
5. Lemons – Massage 2 tablespoons lemon juice into your scalp and rinse with water. Afterwards, mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1 cup of water and rinse. Repeat daily.
6. Evergreen Cedar Tree – Using oils with antiseptic, anti-seborrheic and mild astringent properties could prove useful for dandruff. Here is one specific option: Blend 6 drops cedarwood, 6 drops rosemary essential oil and 4 drops cypress oil with 50 milliliters of olive oil. Massage into the scalp, let it soak overnight, and shampoo well the next day.
7. Baking Soda – When you normally shower, try wetting your hair and rubbing a handful of baking soda into your scalp instead of using shampoo. Rinse thoroughly and dry. This may take a few weeks and you may experience dryness at first, so other home remedies for dandruff may be better options.
Other Tips for Getting Rid of Dandruff:
- Start buying organic/natural personal care products that don’t contain parabens, sodium laureth or lauryl sulfate.
- Reduce sugar intake.
- Increase animal-based omega-3 fat intake.
- Avoid processed foods and eliminate processed oils like corn, soy, canola, safflower, and sunflower oil.
Most importantly, don’t forget to share which home remedies for dandruff work and don’t work for you. You don’t need a pharmacy to get rid of dandruff – go natural.
- Top 5 Warning Signs Of Kidney Damage You’re Ignoring
The sooner you diagnose kidney damage, the more effective your treatment. These little guys generally try to warn you of kidney damage …
- What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know About Nutritional Medicine May Be Killing You
Dr Ray Strand’s What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know About Nutritional Medicine May Be Killing You was originally published over ten …
- Simple Recipe To Make Your Own Non-Toxic Bug Repellent!
There’s nothing like a few mosquito bites to ruin your day outside. Not only are bites itchy and annoying, they …
- Top 7 Ways to Reduce Fluoride Exposure
In 1945, Grand Rapids, Michigan became the first US city to fluoridate the public water supply. The idea quickly caught …
- Perform THIS Simple Massage Every Night and Your Belly Fat Will Disappear!
As unpleasant as it may sound, we need fat in our bodies and a belly fat massage is not as …
- Eat Two Kiwi Fruits an Hour Before Bedtime And Get an Extra Hour of Sleep, Study Finds
Studies have shown that one in three adults suffers from insomnia or symptoms of insomnia, meaning that one in three …
- For Best Toilet Health: Squat Or Sit?
Most of us living in the Western hemisphere have been sitting down to use the bathroom since flushing toilets were …
- 8 Habits of Unhappy People You Need To Avoid At All Cost
Happiness is something we all want. Sometimes, it’s easy to achieve. Especially when everything in your life seems to be …
- Johnson & Johnson Loses Again, Jury Awards Woman $70m For Baby Powder Causing Her Cancer
In another high-profile case, a California woman has won 70$ million in her lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson. She claimed …
- How To Make Sure Your Extra Virgin Olive Oil Is the Real Deal
Olive oil has long been a much-loved and much-used ingredient in European cuisine. In the last decade, it’s also gained …
- Two Natural Solutions For Bleeding Gums, Gingivitis, And a Healthy Heart
Researchers from Brazil’s Paraíba State University have determined that extracts of pomegranate and chamomile can help heal bleeding gums. The …
- Remove All Toxins From The Body In 3 Days (Prevent Cancer, Excess Fat And Water Retention!)
If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, it may be time to cleanse and detox your body. Things like stress, poor …
- How To Use Cloves To Instantly Get Rid of Toothache And Relieve Pain Naturally
A toothache can indicate a more serious issue, but at least you can soothe the pain. The following home remedy …
- You’ll Never Use Cancer-Causing Dryer Sheets Again After Seeing These DIY Dryer Balls
A few years ago, fabric softener and dryer sheets were considered essential tools in your cleaning routine. However, there has …
- Inhaling This Salt Stops Sinus Infections, Reduces Mucus Build Up & Helps You Sleep!
Did you ever notice how your hair, skin, and lungs feel great after spending the day by the ocean? That’s …