Are you part of the nearly 20% of the U.S. population who suffers from dandruff?
While having dandruff certainly is embarrassing, the good news is that this issue is completely harmless.
Even better news, no drugs or pharmaceutical solutions are required to get rid of dandruff – there are numerous natural home remedies for dandruff that can be utilized.
What is Dandruff? What Causes Dandruff?
Dandruff is characterized by small white flakes falling from the scalp. While a small amount is normal, as dead skin cells flake off your scalp, many people experience an unusually large amount of flaking, often leading their shoulders to be covered in what resembles tiny white snowflakes. The flaking is often accompanied by an itchy scalp, redness, and irritation.
Numerous reasons have been suggested for the cause of dandruff; blame has been put on dry skin, oily skin, diet, hygiene, over-washing or under-washing your hair, and stress. But more often than not, scientists have found that dandruff is actually the result of a fungal infection. Two of the fungal infections pinpointed are:
- Pityriasis capitis
- Malassezia globosa
But regardless of the cause, rest assured that there are many natural solutions you can use to get rid of dandruff naturally. Here are 7 home remedies for dandruff.
7 Home Remedies for Dandruff – How to Get Rid of Dandruff Naturally
1. Apple Cider Vinegar – A favorite natural remedy of users on EarthClinic, apple cider vinegar is great for killing the fungus that causes the dandruff. To experiences ACVs amazing beneficial properties, simply dilute the liquid with water at equal parts and use the mixture as a shampoo. People report this treatment to provide instant relief from itchiness, while getting rid of dandruff with just a few applications over the course of a few days.
2. A Quality Probiotic – As you expect, internal treatments are another great solution for dandruff. Specifically, a probiotic strain of bacillus laterosporus should be enough to not only take care of dandruff, but help to boost overall health by replenishing the beneficial bacteria within your gut. Gut flora is extremely important for optimal health.
3. Oregano Oil or Tea Tree Oil – Both oregano oil and tea tree oil possess natural antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that can reduce inflammation and treat infections. Try taking oregano oil internally, or applying oregano oil and tea tree oil on the scalp.
4. Coconut Oil – Adding on to the home remedies for dandruff, coconut oil is another amazing anti-fungal food that is capable of killing fungus and eliminating dandruff. Just a few teaspoons applied to the hair and scalp should be enough to rid you of dandruff and provide a nice shine to your hair. Melt some coconut oil and include 5-9 drops of pure tea tree oil for every 5 tablespoons of coconut oil. This could work in as little as two applications. Ingesting coconut oil daily can also help.
5. Lemons – Massage 2 tablespoons lemon juice into your scalp and rinse with water. Afterwards, mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1 cup of water and rinse. Repeat daily.
6. Evergreen Cedar Tree – Using oils with antiseptic, anti-seborrheic and mild astringent properties could prove useful for dandruff. Here is one specific option: Blend 6 drops cedarwood, 6 drops rosemary essential oil and 4 drops cypress oil with 50 milliliters of olive oil. Massage into the scalp, let it soak overnight, and shampoo well the next day.
7. Baking Soda – When you normally shower, try wetting your hair and rubbing a handful of baking soda into your scalp instead of using shampoo. Rinse thoroughly and dry. This may take a few weeks and you may experience dryness at first, so other home remedies for dandruff may be better options.
Other Tips for Getting Rid of Dandruff:
- Start buying organic/natural personal care products that don’t contain parabens, sodium laureth or lauryl sulfate.
- Reduce sugar intake.
- Increase animal-based omega-3 fat intake.
- Avoid processed foods and eliminate processed oils like corn, soy, canola, safflower, and sunflower oil.
Most importantly, don’t forget to share which home remedies for dandruff work and don’t work for you. You don’t need a pharmacy to get rid of dandruff – go natural.
- You’ll Never Use Cancer-Causing Dryer Sheets Again After Seeing These DIY Dryer Balls
A few years ago, fabric softener and dryer sheets were considered essential tools in your cleaning routine. However, there has …
- More Evidence Links Agricultural Pesticides to Autism
A new study by the University of California, Davis shows a correlation between the exposure to agricultural pesticides during pregnancy …
- How One Cup of Mushrooms Can Fight Thyroid Imbalances, Cancer And Vitamin D Deficiencies
You hear a lot of talk about the “thyroid” when the subject of weight comes up. Women, especially seem to …
- Top 5 Weight Loss Drinks You Need To Try
Thinking about losing a few extra pounds? The only true way to shed off unwanted weight is with a strict …
- Everything you Need to Know About Blood Clots
Clotting is a life-saving measure your body takes to prevent itself from bleeding out during an injury. Platelets and proteins …
- It’s Not Natural Fluoride They’re Putting In Your Drinking Water – See What’s Really Added
Fluoride is natural mineral found in water. It’s most present in groundwater, where its concentration levels vary according to the …
- She Sprays Her Yard With Apple Cider Vinegar…The Reason? This Is Pure GENIUS!
Sure, vinegar is an essential ingredient in any home, but the condiment is often underestimated in and out of the …
- Why Restricting Your Eating Time Period To 8 Hours Will Transform Your Health And Fitness!
People will go to great lengths to lose a little weight. Losing weight and keeping it off isn’t about following …
- How To Make Your Own Natural Antibiotic
Antibiotic resistance is becoming a really big threat to public safety. This phenomenon occurs when bacteria that has been exposed to …
- 6 Ways You’re Causing Your Own Memory Loss
Memory loss is a common side effect of aging. Most of us know that we’re supposed to stay mentally active, …
- This Child’s Autistic Symptoms Miraculously Disappear After His Doctor Does THIS
Reverse Autism Every parent wants their child to be born healthy, no matter what it takes. But some of the …
- Master List of Monsanto Owned “Food” Producers
What if you found out that your favorite brand isn’t as safe and family-friendly as its colorful branding makes it …
- 5 Things You Can Do Each Day That Will Help You Recover From Depression
I’m big on personal development (PD), and one of my favorite concepts is the Slight Edge Principle, because it helped …
- Turmeric Protects Skin from UVB Radiation and Aging, Concludes Japanese Study
The Holy Powder of India, turmeric, is spreading its healing influence around the world, blessing the open mind with its …
- 6 Ways To Use Banana Peels To Fight Acne Naturally
People will go to great lengths to get good skin, often spending hundreds of dollars on skin products and dermatology …