There’s nothing as discouraging slipping into your favorite dress, looking in the mirror, and seeing cellulite. Cellulite doesn’t discriminate and can even affect thin or athletic individuals. It’s typically considered to be a cosmetic problem, although, for the many women who have the condition, it can be incredibly frustrating.
According to Health.com “The cosmetic condition affects nearly 90% of women at some point during their lives, even women who are otherwise slender and fit.”(1) It’s true: you’re not alone. It’s possible for men to get cellulite too, as about 10% of men suffer from cellulite (2).
What is Cellulite?
Cellulite is simply a change in the visibility of the fat beneath your skin. It occurs when the fat cells beneath your skin swell and push against layers of collagen fibers or connective tissue. This causes the bumpy appearance of the skin (3,4).
Cellulite is common in the thighs, buttocks, breasts, upper arms, and belly. In mild cases, the cellulite is only visible when skin is pinched together.
Women are more likely to suffer from cellulite since they have thinner skin, naturally carry more fat, and experience hormonal changes with their menstrual cycle. What’s more, low estrogen during menopause reduces blood flow and thus collagen production. It also makes your body more prone to storing fat (5).
You’re more likely to have cellulite if (6):
- You have a poor diet
- You’re frequently fad dieting
- You have a slow metabolism
- You don’t exercise
- You experience hormone changes (such as during pregnancy, and aging)
- You’re chronically dehydrated
- You have a high body fat content (more fat means more visible cellulite)
- You have thin, pale skin
- You’re a smoker
If you’re one of the vast majority of women who suffer from cellulite, there are natural non-invasive ways to reclaim your body.
5 Ways to Get Rid Of Cellulite
Here’s what you can do to reduce the appearance of cellulite and smooth your skin.
1. Eat Well
If you feed your fat cells with processed foods and sugar, they’re sure to grow and be more visible. To shrink your cellulite as much as possible, maintain a well-balanced, plant-heavy diet to maintain a healthy weight and reduce inflammation (7).
To improve the health of your connective tissues, consider consuming more bone broth and gelatin.
2. Exercise Regularly
Firming and toning your muscles tighens your skin, shrinks fat cells, and improves the apperance of cellulite. Stretching and strengthening your connective tissue will also help improve their elasticity, which is another plus.
If you’re ready to hit the gym, keep this in mind: researchers at the South Shore YMCA in Quincy, Massachusetts warn that regular cardio isn’t enough to keep cellulite at bay. Instead, they suggest a balanced regime of 15 minutes each of cardio and strength training three times weekly (8).
3. Drink Lots of Water
Staying hydrated is essential to keep your connective tissues healthy and flexible. It also improves blood and lymph flow to clear toxins. What’s more, hydration can help prevent weight gain.
4. Dry Skin Brushing
Dry brushing improves blood and lymph flow, and removes old skin cells, which are much less slightly in apperance than newer cells. Think if it as an alternative to massaging. You can use a dry brush before showeirng or taking a bath for optimal benefits.
Since connective tissue requires proper blood flow and detoxification. It also helps relieve swelling and fluid build-up (8). Massage affected areas while in the shower or keep a jar of coconut oil in the washroom as give yourself a massage before bed.
- Avoid Fleas and Ticks Forever With This Natural Remedy!
Every pet owner knows how annoying fleas can be. These minuscule insects can multiply in days and easily infest your …
- 9 Exercises To Burn Abdominal Fat
What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? A common question in the world of fitness. Belly fat is …
- 9 Signs You’re Overstressed (And Don’t Know It)
Countless studies show that stress is at actually at the root of most disease. In fact, 77 percent of us …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Take THIS Before Bed to Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat While You Sleep
Melt Away Stubborn Belly Fat It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, even when you exercise …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- Here’s Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men (It Has Something To Do With Their Ability To Multi-Task)
While everyone should strive to get adequate sleep, a recent study from Duke University has shown that sleep deprivation may …
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil Can Treat More than 20 Health Problems
The more we learn about Nature, the more astonishing we find it. Ages-old remedies still work and can be applied …
- How to Use a ¼ Teaspoon of Nutmeg to Fall Asleep and Relieve ALL Your Insomnia Symptoms Overnight
There’s nothing like a poor night of sleep to set you on the wrong foot for the day to come. …
- Top Doctors Are Warning Anyone Over 40 To Stop Taking Ibuprofen Immediately. Here’s Why…
What do you do when a headache settles in? Chances are, you probably do the same thing as when you …
- This Is How Much Walking You REALLY Need To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, many people believe that high-intensity exercises are the only way to shed a few …
- Spray This 3-Ingredient Oil On Your Feet 10 Minutes Before Bed And You’ll Be Dozing Off In No Time!
Do you have trouble falling asleep? Can you recall the last time you had a restful sleep and woke up rejuvenated? …
- 16 Delicious Foods That Burn Belly Fat and Support Weight Loss
Obesity is a way-to-common problem in America and throughout the world. In fact, according to the Nation Health Institute, in …
- How Only 15 Minutes of Walking Can Change Everything
Walking is the most ordinary thing a human can do. Unless we have a physical impairment, we take this activity …