People throw away banana peels all the time thinking that only the flesh contains all the good stuff.
But that’s simply not true. In fact, as much as half of a banana’s nutrients are found in the peel! That’s right. You’ve been mindlessly throwing away at least half of what you’ve paid for.
In many parts of the world banana peels are eaten all the time. Some folks have even found interesting ways to make use of the peel.
And now people are discovering that banana peels can also help with weight loss.
How Banana Peel Helps You Lose Weight
The flesh of a medium-sized banana contains key nutrients that help manage weight (1):
- 12% of your daily fiber, which helps with digestion and may help lower your risk of diabetes
- 17% of your vitamin C, which is important for your immune system
- 20% of your vitamin B-6, which aids the body’s ability to convert food into energy
- 12% of your potassium, which helps in development of cells, tissues, and organs throughout the body
- 8% of your magnesium, which is important for the body’s energy productions and regulating glucose and blood pressure levels
Eating the skin along with the flesh gives you even more of these nutrients.
“[The skin] contains high amounts of vitamin B6 and B12, as well as magnesium and potassium. It also contains some fiber and protein,” San Diego-based nutritionist Laura Flores told LiveScience.
Green or Yellow?
By now, you’ve probably heard all about the pros and cons of eating ripe or unripe bananas. When it comes to weight loss, green is your best option.
They contain more probiotics, which are great for helping your digestive health. Plus, green peels can help raise serotonin and dopamine levels, which in turn makes you feel good. This can help you manage emotional eating.
But you can still use a yellow peel for weight loss if you prefer something sweeter.
How To Eat Banana Peel?
Fruit peels in general contain higher concentration levels of phytonutrients, which tend to make them taste bitter.
But there are some delicious ways to eat them.
- You can cut both ends of the peel and throw it into your smoothie. Add whatever other ingredients you like.
- You can boil your peel and make banana tea!
- You use banana peel for curry instead of potatoes.
Feel free to get creative and try different recipes.
One last thing to remember before eating banana peels is to always make sure to buy organic in order to limit your exposure to pesticides. And be sure to wash them thoroughly before use.
Health Benefits of Eating Banana Peels
- How to Make Fruit Roll-Ups at Home With REAL Fruit and Gelatin For Your Hair, Skin and Joints
Despite being advertised as containing “real fruit”, commercial fruit roll-ups contain in fact more hydrogenated oil and high-fructose corn syrup …
- Top 5 Worst Cooking Oils for Your Heart, Brain, and Skin
Let’s face it: Americans love fried foods. Whether it’s a delicious funnel cake from the county fair or an order …
- Gluten-free Lemon Pound Cake with Maple Syrup, Coconut and No Dairy at All
There is something especially satisfying and decadent about a rich pound cake—moist and sweet, on its own or with a …
- These Raw Vegan Coconut-Lemon Meltaways Will NOT Disappoint You
Everyone loves the tart citrus flavor of lemons, especially in desert form. These raw vegan lemon balls have a smooth, …
- The Raw Food Diet ‘FullyRaw’ Meal Plan
Do you want to succeed at a raw food diet?! Kristina Carrillo-Bucaram will show you how. Here is a fun …
- This is The Most Healing Salt in The World, It Can Treat Over 20 Diseases
Himalayan pink salt originates from Pakistan and has been used for centuries for its therapeutic and cosmetic uses. The mineral …
- Top 3 Healthy Cooking Oils
For the past few decades, the common perception that people have had is that fat is bad, and carbohydrates and …
- 10 Food Ingredients Consumed Daily in the USA that are Banned Outside
Every day, many different types of food goods are consumed throughout the whole of the USA that contain food ingredients …
- 14 Fast Food and Restaurant Employees Confess the One Item You Should Never Order
(originally written by Charisma Madarang) The following question was posed on Reddit: “Fast food workers of Reddit, what should we NOT …
- 7 Surprising Foods to Help You Sleep Better at Night
According to the CDC, sleep deficits are a national epidemic – not getting enough sleep is associated strongly with car …
- 7 Tasty Teas to Boost Your Health
We’ve all heard that tea is good for our health, but what types of teas do what, exactly? This article …
- 9 Top Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds
If you’re in the mood for a chewy snack that doubles as a phenomenal health food, look no further than …
- Food for Thought: U.S. People Throw Out Nearly 40% of Their Food
In the mid- to late twentieth century, amid the general increase in wealth and wherewithal of the American middle class, …
- Top 27 Alkaline Foods On The Planet (Eat More To Prevent Cancer, Obesity and Heart Disease)
The western lifestyle has prioritized convenience over quality in many aspect of everyday life. This is what’s led countless of …
- 6 Reasons Why We Should All Be Eating More Hummus
Hummus is a food experiencing a surge in popularity lately – the creamy Middle Eastern dish is now found in …