People throw away banana peels all the time thinking that only the flesh contains all the good stuff.
But that’s simply not true. In fact, as much as half of a banana’s nutrients are found in the peel! That’s right. You’ve been mindlessly throwing away at least half of what you’ve paid for.
In many parts of the world banana peels are eaten all the time. Some folks have even found interesting ways to make use of the peel.
And now people are discovering that banana peels can also help with weight loss.
How Banana Peel Helps You Lose Weight
The flesh of a medium-sized banana contains key nutrients that help manage weight (1):
- 12% of your daily fiber, which helps with digestion and may help lower your risk of diabetes
- 17% of your vitamin C, which is important for your immune system
- 20% of your vitamin B-6, which aids the body’s ability to convert food into energy
- 12% of your potassium, which helps in development of cells, tissues, and organs throughout the body
- 8% of your magnesium, which is important for the body’s energy productions and regulating glucose and blood pressure levels
Eating the skin along with the flesh gives you even more of these nutrients.
“[The skin] contains high amounts of vitamin B6 and B12, as well as magnesium and potassium. It also contains some fiber and protein,” San Diego-based nutritionist Laura Flores told LiveScience.
Green or Yellow?
By now, you’ve probably heard all about the pros and cons of eating ripe or unripe bananas. When it comes to weight loss, green is your best option.
They contain more probiotics, which are great for helping your digestive health. Plus, green peels can help raise serotonin and dopamine levels, which in turn makes you feel good. This can help you manage emotional eating.
But you can still use a yellow peel for weight loss if you prefer something sweeter.
How To Eat Banana Peel?
Fruit peels in general contain higher concentration levels of phytonutrients, which tend to make them taste bitter.
But there are some delicious ways to eat them.
- You can cut both ends of the peel and throw it into your smoothie. Add whatever other ingredients you like.
- You can boil your peel and make banana tea!
- You use banana peel for curry instead of potatoes.
Feel free to get creative and try different recipes.
One last thing to remember before eating banana peels is to always make sure to buy organic in order to limit your exposure to pesticides. And be sure to wash them thoroughly before use.
Health Benefits of Eating Banana Peels
- The 4 Biggest Mistakes In Dietary Advice That Even Doctors Now Admit Must Be Corrected
Many of the things you have been told regarding nutrition are false. In modern medicine’s efforts to change the way …
- Try This Tasty Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie With Ginger, Coconut Oil and Green Tea
Chronic inflammation in the body leads to advanced aging and disease. It can be caused by many different factors including …
- Too Much Protein: Are We Eating Too Much Meat? (INFOGRAPHIC)
It’s been well established that the North American diet is too carbohydrate-heavy. Sugar overload and diet imbalance has wreaked health …
- 5 Fat-Busting Smoothies That Keep Cravings at Bay!
Did you know that many of the vitamins and nutrient in your food die off during the cooking process? Water …
- Top 10 Worst Things That Can Happen When You Run Out Of These Important Nutrients
No matter who you are, your body needs a variety of vitamins and minerals to stay up and running. If …
- 10 Reasons To Add Spirulina To Your Diet
We talk a lot about “superfoods” here because there are literally thousands of nutrient-dense superfood options from which to choose, all …
- Matcha Tea Health Benefits Include Over 100 Times More Antioxidants Than Regular Green Tea
The health benefits of green tea have been studied and documented. The source of these are the antioxidant and amino acid …
- Neurobiologist Discovers THIS Single Food Reduces Your Chance of Alzheimer’s by 75%
Brain diseases are horrible, especially alzheimer’s. It not only robs you of your precious memories and eventually your ability to function …
- Pack In Protein With These Chickpea Recipes
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are a super versatile, low fat, and high fiber protein source rich in important minerals like phosphorus …
- 6 Tasty Foods Loaded With KEY Nutrients To Help Keep Depression At Bay
Mental health is nothing to make light of – many people suffer from depression and anxiety, as well as less common …
- 12 Foods Fit People Love
We all want to know the secrets of very fit people. How do they motivate themselves every day? When do …
- How To Make Alkaline Water To Fight Fatigue, Digestive Issues And Cancer
Is alkaline water good for you? A healthy body should always be slightly alkaline. The majority of people today, however, tend to …
- 2 Tablespoons a Day and Goodbye Belly Fat. This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat Immediately
When was the last time you had a fat burning drink to get rid of all that belly fat? Belly …
- Enjoy The Benefits of Turmeric With This Golden Milk Tea Recipe (You’re Going To Love It!)
The healthful properties of turmeric and ginger are just now beginning to emerge in the West. Asian cultures have used …
- 19 Aphrodisiac Foods To Spice Up Your Love Life
Whether you’re planning a home-cooked meal or have a specific restaurant in mind for Valentine’s Day, you no doubt want …