Houseplants not only make your home lovely and lush but they also improve the air quality around you.
However, most plant enthusiasts can tell you that the greenery in your home can quickly lead to potentially devastating effects.
In fact, many common houseplants are toxic to cat, dogs and even children.
Also known as Dumb Cane and Topic Snow, Dieffenbachia is one of the most popular plants for homes and offices because it requires little care.
The plant is especially toxic to humans and pets if it’s ingested (1). One bite paralyzes your voice, two paralyzes you, while three are supposed to be fatal. (2)
Some sources even say that ingestion can cause damage and death in under a minute for children and in under 15 minutes in adults (3).
In fact, the leaves, stalk and root contain toxic substances like oxalic acid and asparagine.
In humans contact with your eyes can cause (4):
- Damage to cornea of the eye
- Eye pain
Ingestion, on the other hand, causes:
- Burning in mouth or throat
- Hoarse voice
- Nausea or vomiting
- Swelling and blistering in the mouth or tongue
- Difficulty speaking and swallowing
- Numbness and temporary parallysis
In the case of ingestion wipe out the mouth with a cold, wet cloth and give the patient milk to drink. In the case of contact, rinse the person’s eyes and skin well if they touched the plant (it may cause a rash in people with sensitive skin).
Regardless, if you suspect any interaction with the plant, call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. In most cases, patients can be cured with prompt medical intervention.
- Doctors in UK Propose Ban on Cigarettes for People Born After 2000
In a bold and courageous move, the British Medical Association (BMA) passed a motion to pressure enactment of a law …
- Put Baking Soda Under Your Eyes To Quickly Get Rid of Dark Circles
Everybody gets dark circles under their eyes, even children and young adults. Despite this, the beauty industry is always emphasizing …
- Flu vs. Cold, and Why You Need to Know the Difference
Flu season is well underway, and if you haven’t contracted the flu yet this year, you should consider yourself lucky! …
- Scientific Proof That Meridian Lines Exist
Western medicine has long set the standard for hospitals and clinics worldwide, but it’s far from the only healing tradition …
- She Needed a Blender For Her Cancer-Stricken Mother…What She Got Instead Will Warm Your Heart!
Juicing is one of those things that can help improve just about anyone’s health. It doesn’t matter how sick you are, …
- 8 Things Your Eyes Are Trying To Tell You About Your Health
It’s commonly claimed that “Your eyes are the window to your soul”. While there is some debate about who originally said …
- 6 Ways Your Hands Can Help Predict Future Health Conditions
Hands can tell a lot about a person, how they’ve lived and how healthy they are. Recent studies show that …
- 10 Things That Will Happen To You If You Stop Wearing Makeup
Makeup is a great way to enhance your natural beauty and to improve self-confidence. It’s also a great way to …
- Have You Seen Anyone With a Semicolon Tattoo? (Project Raises Awareness About Mental Illness)
You may have seen one recently – a small tattoo on a friend or passer-by. They’re fairly innocuous, but they …
- How to Effectively Remove a Painful Ingrown Toenail WITHOUT Having To Go To The Doctor
If you ever suffered from an ingrown toenail, then you know that it’s not only super painful, it’s also hard …
- 10 Surprising Ways Eating Dark Chocolate is Good for The Body
Many people may not know it, but there are actually numerous health benefits to eating chocolate. The real, unadulterated form of …
- Big Pharma Stands To Lose $18.5 Billion If All 50 States Legalize Medical Marijuana
Pharmaceutical companies are one of the biggest influences in the US economy and, subsequently, in US law. It is no …
- Lead Developer Of HPV Vaccines Comes Clean, Warns Parents & Young Girls It’s All A Giant Deadly Scam
The HPV vaccine controversy has got many people confused. Here’s what you need to know. The human papillomavirus (HPV) is a …
- Powdered Alcohol – Important Things You Should Know
Earlier this week, an Internet frenzy unleashed the news that powdered alcohol will be available soon in the US. Announcements …
- When You Experience a Food Coma, Your Body Is Trying To Tell You Something Important
Most of us have experienced the feeling of a “food coma” – that feeling of heaviness and fatigue that comes …