Beets are one of the most underappreciated root vegetables around the world.
Colorful, acidic, and nutrient-dense, beets make a wonderful addition to salads, soups, and even desserts.
Whether eaten raw or cooked, these scrumptious veggies contain healing compounds that prevent disease and keep your body in tip-top shape.
Health Benefits Of Beets
Here are just a few of the great properties of the red vegetable:
- Beets contain polyphenols and betalains, which have to ability to reverse and prevent oxidative damage (2). Polyphenols also prevent cardiovascular disease.
- They contain various vitamins, including B-complex vitamins, which strengthen capillary walls and prevent cognitive decline (3).
- Beets contain a slew of minerals , including potassium and folate, which promote heart health (4). Plus, they contain magnesium, which benefits bone health; iron and phosphorus, which produce energy (5,6); copper, which destroys free radicals (7); iodine, which is essential to produce thyroid hormones; and more.
- They contain cobalt, which helps your intestinal bacteria form vitamin B12. This vitamin is essential, alongside folic acid, for the formation of new red blood cells (8).
- Beets contain folic acid, which revitalizes your body by helping it creating new cells (9).
- Betalin and other compounds in beets help escort toxins out of your system (10).
- Beets contain betacyanins and other antioxidants that prevent the growth of cancer cells (11).
- Their high fiber content improves digestion and gut flora.
- Beets help prevent dementia due to high concentration of nitrates, which are transformed by the body into nitrites. Nitrates improve blood flow to improve the amount of nutrients and oxygen that make their way all the way to your brain (12).
- They contain more pectin than carrots or apples. Pectin absorbs heavy metals from your body while also removing harmful bacteria from your digestive tract (13).
And if all the benefits mentioned above weren’t enough, these lovely red veggies have the ability to lower cholesterol, reduce blood pressure, reverse cognitive decline, improve liver function, and boost your metabolism (14).
Who could ask for more?
- There’s a New GMO Apple on The Market…Here’s 2 Surefire Ways to Make Sure You’re Not Buying It!
Apples and potatoes naturally bruise and turn brown – but the new strains of apples and potatoes recently approved by …
- 4 Ways Eating Turmeric Transforms Regular Fat-Storing Cells Into Fat-Burning Ones
You may have heard about how turmeric might revolutionize cancer treatment. The spice is already known to treat, cure or …
- Garlic Cures 100% of Warts in Clinical Study
Warts and corns are the most common afflictions of the skin. Warts are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV) and …
- How Spinach Can Boost Your Physical Fitness and Muscle Strength
Popeye had something right! It turns out that, thanks to the inner workings of both our cells and plants’ cells, …
- 5 Food Additives Found In Salad Dressing You Need To Avoid Like The Plague
Salad: what you put ON it is just as important as what you put IN it. Ranch, for example, often contains soybean …
- 7 Food Combinations That Work Better Together Than Apart
Some food combinations just seem to go great together naturally – like orange juice and oatmeal with fruit in the …
- THIS Type of RAW HONEY Kills Every Kind of Bacteria Scientists Could Throw At It (Even the Superbugs!)
Honey is an essential healing tool to get over the cold and flu and soothe a sore throat, but it …
- 19 Aphrodisiac Foods To Spice Up Your Love Life
Whether you’re planning a home-cooked meal or have a specific restaurant in mind for Valentine’s Day, you no doubt want …
- 7 Compelling Health Benefits to Eating Cucumber
You probably eat cucumbers all the time, but do you know the many cucumber benefits? Cucumbers are in the same …
- This No-Bake Avocado Lime Cheesecake Will Blow Your Mind!
There are countless ways to use avocado in the kitchen: from classic guacamole to the odd and interesting Hummoli and …
- 5 Genius Ingredient Swaps That Will Instantly Make Cooking Healthier
Sometimes, the tastiest dishes call for not-so-healthy ingredients. Though a superfood hasn’t come around to replace butter yet, these five …
- Is Your Olive Oil Lying About Its Virginity?
You’d have to live in a cave to not have heard about the health benefits of olive oil. It’s a …
- 7 Ingredients That Are Depleting Your Body of Important Nutrients
Unless you’re living on a farm in the middle of nowhere, chances are you consume at least some packaged foods. …
- 5 Natural Life-Saving Medicines
Nature holds an abundance of natural live-saving medicines. For thousands of years and perhaps longer, people have relied on natural …
- 5 Delicious Fruit-Infused Water Recipes To Drink Instead Of Soda
Soda can feel like a cool, refreshing drink on a hot day, but it’s hardly the most health-conscious option available. …