Guava: a sweet exotic fruit native to Mexico, Central and South America. One guava fruit contains three times the daily vitamin C requirement, potassium, fiber, vitamin A, and lycopene. Whether whole fruit, juice, or jelly, guava is deliciously nutritious. And that’s just the fruit of the tree.
Health Benefits of Guava Leaves
Hair – The vitamin B complex (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, and pyridoxine) in guava leaves can prevent hair loss and promote its growth. (1) As a hair and scalp treatment, follow the recipe below.
- Boil a handful of guava leaves in a quart of water for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Strain the leaves from the water.
- Massage the guava leaf tea into your scalp and apply to hair, starting at the roots and working through to the ends.
- Leave on for 2 hours (or more), then rinse.
Diabetes and weight loss – Guava leaves regulate blood sugar, preventing diabetes. (2) By virtue of their high fiber content and inhibiting the conversion of complex carbohydrates into sugar, the leaves drunk in a tea can make you feel full and support weight loss.
Moderates cholesterol – In a 2013 study published in the Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, guava leaf extract was shown to effectively reduce triglycerides (fat) and low-density lipoproteins (LDL cholesterol) and increase high-density lipoproteins (“good” cholesterol). (3)
Digestive health – Guava leaf extract causes apoptosis (cell death) in stomach cancer cells. (4) Generally promoting digestive health, guava leaf tea is effective on treating diarrhea, food poisoning, and upset stomach. (5)
Cancer – The lycopene content of guava leaves has been shown to inhibit the production the male hormone androgen, an over-abundance of which is responsible for some varieties of prostate cancer. (6) Various phytochemicals block certain proteins to mediate cell proliferation:
“…guava leaves can interfere with multiple signaling cascades linked with tumorigenesis and provide a source of potential therapeutic compounds for both the prevention and treatment of cancer.” (7)
Male fertility – A Nigerian study found guava leaf extract to increase male fertility in rats without toxic side effects and with implications for humans. (8)
Allergies – Guava contains quercetin, the flavonoid antioxidant yellow/orange pigment that is a potent antihistamine, reducing allergic response. (9) This same antihistamine action makes it effective in relieving the sting and itch of insect bites.
Respiratory ailments – Quercetin as found in guava leaves can also relieve asthma and other respiratory ailments, such as bronchitis and chronic cough. (10)
Dengue fever – a virus spread by mosquitoes in tropical regions that can be fatal to some with a compromised immune system. Guava leaf extract has been shown an effective remedy for dengue fever. (11)
Mouth health – Guava leaf juice has antibacterial properties—chewing a leaf is effective in promoting oral health, including soothing a toothache and reducing inflammation of the gums.
Skin – When used in a facial scrub, guava leaves can remove blackheads and impurities from the skin, instilling it with antioxidants and antibacterials. Simply crush some leaves in a little water until of a paste-like texture and wash your face with the mixture.
Antiseptic – Because of its microbial properties, crushed guava leaves can be used to treat and promote healing of minor cuts and scrapes.
Just for fun:
“The alcoholic extract of Pisidium guajava (Guava) leaves was found to act as a good corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in 1 M phosphoric acid medium. A maximum inhibition efficiency of 89% was obtained for an inhibitor concentration of 800 ppm in the weight loss studies for 1 h immersion time.” (12)
You might say it’s an anti-aging agent for Superman.
- 7 Bizarre Warning Signs That Could Foretell Heart Problems In Your Near Future
Heart disease is the leading cause of death worldwide, accounting for 17.3 million deaths every year! And this number is only …
- 3-Ingredient Detox “Shots” To Alkalize Your Body, Burn Stubborn Belly Fat, And Fight Inflammation
Do you wake up in the morning dreading the long day ahead of you? You’re not alone. Every day, millions …
- This Is Why You Should Never Let Your Dog Lick You!
Warning: the content that follows is not for the squeamish. Humans and dogs have been companions for thousands of years …
- Maca Powder: The Perfect Food For Hormone Imbalance, Anxiety, Energy, Sleep, And Libido
Although centuries old, maca comes from the brassica (mustard) family, similar to turnip, cabbage, and watercress (1). This root was first …
- 9 Potentially Serious Causes of Tinnitus
Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears, is usually a fleeting problem that will go away on its own. Generally, it’s …
- Every Parent’s Worst Nightmare: How To Quickly Save Your Baby From Choking With This 3-Step Protocol
It’s every parent’s greatest fear to realize that your baby or toddler is choking and you don’t know what to do. This …
- Berkeley Doctor Claims People Die From Chemotherapy, Not Cancer [Watch]
Peter Glidden, BS, ND is a naturopath who describes himself as follows: “I am an outspoken, steadfast stand for the …
- Fast Food Giant McDonald’s Is “Facing Its Final Days” And It’s Thanks To You!
McDonalds has recently announced that they will close 700 locations (1). If this a preview of what’s to come, the …
- The Healing Power of Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds and their oil have been used for centuries in for both cooking and medicinal needs. But many people …
- If This Doctor Was Diagnosed With Cancer, He Would IMMEDIATELY Do These 5 Things…
Conventional medicine uses chemo, surgery and radiation to treat cancer. Unfortunately, it doesn’t try to understand the underlying cause of …
- WATCH: Bacteria Invade Antibiotics And Transform Into Superbugs
This is very cool, very novel, very impressive, and fairly frightening. Over the past couple of decades, the medical community …
- THIS Is Why Putting Essential Oils On The Bottom of Your FEET Works Wonders
If you’re like most nature lovers, chances are you have at least one bottle of essential oil lying around your …
- Dentists Develop New Treatment That Reverses Tooth Decay Naturally
For many people the thought of the dentist holds a sense of dread, especially when it comes to the drilling …
- How To Grow Tangerines At Home – It’s Easier Than You Think!
Tangerines are like little balls of sunshine that brighten up your fruit bowl. But tangerines are often GMO and travel …
- 6 Relaxation Techniques To Help You Sleep Better at Night
It can happen to anyone, no matter how tired you may be: insomnia. It can be caused by any of …