Whether it’s lemon water, lemonade or lemon tea, there’s no escaping the fact that these little citrus fruits pack a health punch.
If you’re juicing your lemons, you’re missing out on so many beneficial compounds, you’ll wish you were freezing them all along!
Lemon As Medicine
Lemons have long been used in traditional cooking both as a flavoring agent and a medicinal remedy.
In fact, lemons have been proven to :
- Fight Cancer
- Lower cholesterol (1)
- Fight inflammation
- Kill harmful bacteria
- Regulate high blood pressure (2)
- Combat depression and stress
- Detox your kidneys and liver
How Lemons Are Equipped To Fight Cancer
The Department of Horticultural Sciences at Texas A&M University examined the anti-cancer benefits of lemon and concluded that “citrus limonoids may have potential for the prevention of estrogen-responsive breast cancer.” (3)
And it’s not just limonoids: “coumarins in lemon fruit are promising chemopreventive agents by inhibiting radical generation.” (4)
Lemons are also rich in polyphenols, which have at least 100 positive effects on cancer cells such as the antioxidant effect, says Leicester University’s professor Will Steward, head of clinical oncology (5).
Other than prevention, limonoids also showed promising result in promoting the self-destruction of cancer cells in less than 12 hours (6). The quantity of limonoids needed to have this affect is about equivalent to a glass of citrus juice.
These studies, among others suggest lemon may help prevent and possibly treat the cancers of the mouth (7), breast, stomach, colon, childhood cancers and more.
Getting The Most Out Of Your Lemons
Lemon peel contains 5 to 10 times more vitamins than the lemon juice itself.
In fact, Dr Marilyn Glenville, a nutritionist and expert on women’s health, says that eating a wider range of fruit peels is beneficial to our health. She told BBC food: “Most of the antioxidants contained in fruit are found within the peel or the pith rather than in the pulp itself.”
More specifically, the pith, pulp and peel of lemon contains “in particular flavones, flavanones, flavanols, phenolic acids, limonoids, carotenoids, coumarins, furocoumarins, polymethoxyflavones, and dietary fibre, among others.” (8)
And so, Dr Glenville suggests: “It’s better to make a smoothie than a juice, because you can whip everything up including the skin, and you’re not discarding anything in terms of nutrient content.”
When it comes to citrus fruits, smoothies aren’t ideal since they can be quite bitter. The recipe bellow will show you how to get the most out of your lemon without scrunching up your face from the strong flavor!
How To Freeze Lemons
- Start by washing and disinfecting the fruit with a little apple cider vinegar.
- Rinse and dry.
- Freeze the lemon overnight.
- Once fully firm, remove from the fridge and grate it pulp, peel, seeds and all.
- Keep frozen in an ice cube tray for future use.
Lemon peel can enhance the flavor of your meals, including: salad, ice cream, soup, yogurt, pasta sauce and more!
Try a spoonful in smoothies, a pinch in your favorite juice and teas or a generous amount in baked goods. The possibilities are endless!
- The Cancer-Fighting Salad Everyone Should Be Eating Once a Week (With ACV, Avocado And More)
For some people, eating salad is an experience best left for dieters and vegetarians. But salads have come a long …
- Video Shows How Green Tea Consumption Can STOP Healthy Cells From Turning Malignant
The health benefits of tea stretch across the spectrum — green, black or white all promise to fight free radicals and hydrate …
- Over 100 Scientific Studies Agree: Cannabis Annihilates Cancer
The healing properties of cannabis are nothing new. In ancient India, cannabis was used to treat ailments such as insomnia …
- Canadian Researchers Discover New Evidence That Vitamin D Shuts Down Cancer Cells
Researchers at McGill University have discovered a molecular basis for the cancer preventive effects of vitamin D, whereby its active …
- Cancer Cells Decompose After Several Weeks With The Use of This Herbal Tea
To say that dandelions aren’t appreciated enough is a gross understatement. Suburb dwellers often spend countless hours trying to rid …
- Colon Cancer Survivors Are 42% Less Likely To Die If They Eat Well And Exercise (No Surprise There!)
Eating healthy and exercising isn’t always the easiest thing to do when you’ve survived cancer. Yet it may hold the …
- The Alkaline Diet Info Every Cancer Patient Needs To Read Immediately
Proper nutrition is at the heart of living a healthy life. When someone is diagnosed with a life-changing or life-threatening …
- Can this Little Green Plant Really Shrink Prostate Tumors by 70%?
Prostate cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer in men and the fifth leading cause of cancer death worldwide. …
- 99% of Breast Cancer Tissue Contains This Chemical Found in Everyday Beauty Products!
As you wash your hair or put on your makeup, the last thing you are likely worried about is whether …
- How to Do a Self Breast Exam At Home: Warning Signs of Breast Cancer to Watch Out For!
Doing a self breast exam every now and then can go a long way in preventing cancer growth. Breast cancer …
- This Native American Tea Cures Cancer And This Is How You Make It…
As you’ve probably noticed, conventional medicine is finally catching up to the methods traditional medicine has been using for millennia. …
- Cannabis Oil Dissolves Large Cancerous Tumor in 8 Month Old Baby
According to Dr. William Courtney, the western medical mind has a very hard if not impossible time trying to understand …
- Chemotherapy May Spread Cancer and Trigger More Aggressive Tumours, Warn Scientists
Chemotherapy is one of the most popular forms of cancer treatment out there. It involves one or more drugs that …
- Scientists Have Proven That Negativity Literally Makes Cancer Grow Inside The Body
Everybody feels negative emotions once in a while, but these emotions have a stronger effect on your health than you …
- The Link Between Alcohol And Cancer Can No Longer Be Denied (It Causes SEVEN Types of Cancer!)
Your daily glass of beer or wine may not be so innocent after all. Recent research has found a link …