Whether it’s lemon water, lemonade or lemon tea, there’s no escaping the fact that these little citrus fruits pack a health punch.
If you’re juicing your lemons, you’re missing out on so many beneficial compounds, you’ll wish you were freezing them all along!
Lemon As Medicine
Lemons have long been used in traditional cooking both as a flavoring agent and a medicinal remedy.
In fact, lemons have been proven to :
- Fight Cancer
- Lower cholesterol (1)
- Fight inflammation
- Kill harmful bacteria
- Regulate high blood pressure (2)
- Combat depression and stress
- Detox your kidneys and liver
How Lemons Are Equipped To Fight Cancer
The Department of Horticultural Sciences at Texas A&M University examined the anti-cancer benefits of lemon and concluded that “citrus limonoids may have potential for the prevention of estrogen-responsive breast cancer.” (3)
And it’s not just limonoids: “coumarins in lemon fruit are promising chemopreventive agents by inhibiting radical generation.” (4)
Lemons are also rich in polyphenols, which have at least 100 positive effects on cancer cells such as the antioxidant effect, says Leicester University’s professor Will Steward, head of clinical oncology (5).
Other than prevention, limonoids also showed promising result in promoting the self-destruction of cancer cells in less than 12 hours (6). The quantity of limonoids needed to have this affect is about equivalent to a glass of citrus juice.
These studies, among others suggest lemon may help prevent and possibly treat the cancers of the mouth (7), breast, stomach, colon, childhood cancers and more.
Getting The Most Out Of Your Lemons
Lemon peel contains 5 to 10 times more vitamins than the lemon juice itself.
In fact, Dr Marilyn Glenville, a nutritionist and expert on women’s health, says that eating a wider range of fruit peels is beneficial to our health. She told BBC food: “Most of the antioxidants contained in fruit are found within the peel or the pith rather than in the pulp itself.”
More specifically, the pith, pulp and peel of lemon contains “in particular flavones, flavanones, flavanols, phenolic acids, limonoids, carotenoids, coumarins, furocoumarins, polymethoxyflavones, and dietary fibre, among others.” (8)
And so, Dr Glenville suggests: “It’s better to make a smoothie than a juice, because you can whip everything up including the skin, and you’re not discarding anything in terms of nutrient content.”
When it comes to citrus fruits, smoothies aren’t ideal since they can be quite bitter. The recipe bellow will show you how to get the most out of your lemon without scrunching up your face from the strong flavor!
How To Freeze Lemons
- Start by washing and disinfecting the fruit with a little apple cider vinegar.
- Rinse and dry.
- Freeze the lemon overnight.
- Once fully firm, remove from the fridge and grate it pulp, peel, seeds and all.
- Keep frozen in an ice cube tray for future use.
Lemon peel can enhance the flavor of your meals, including: salad, ice cream, soup, yogurt, pasta sauce and more!
Try a spoonful in smoothies, a pinch in your favorite juice and teas or a generous amount in baked goods. The possibilities are endless!
- How To Prevent The Deadliest of All Types of Cancer By Eating This ONE Thing!
Pancreatic cancer is no joke. Because it’s difficult to spot in the early stages, the disease is one of the …
- How To Make A Giant Cancer Killing Salad
What would you do if you were diagnosed with stage 3 cancer? Most of us would probably run to the …
- The Alkaline Diet Info Every Cancer Patient Needs To Read Immediately
Proper nutrition is at the heart of living a healthy life. When someone is diagnosed with a life-changing or life-threatening …
- Elderly Man with Terminal Cancer Walks Out of Hospice After Treatment With Cannabis Oil
Cancer has become epidemic and its incidence is on the rise. The medical establishment will tell you that survival rates …
- How Cancer Spreads Through The Lymphatic System (And How To Keep It Healthy)
Cancer and the lymphatic system have a pretty interesting relationship. The lymphatic system runs parallel to the circulatory system. Unlike …
- Thyroid Cancer Screening Unnecessary; Risks Outweigh Benefits
Recent radio ads featuring Rod Stewart are encouraging everyone to get screened for thyroid cancer. However, unless you already have …
- 5 Unusual Signs Of Colon Cancer Folks Accidentally Ignore For Years
Colorectal cancers are the third most prevalent cancer in the United States, not considering skin cancer (1). They’re also one of …
- Cannabis Oil Dissolves Large Cancerous Tumor in 8 Month Old Baby
According to Dr. William Courtney, the western medical mind has a very hard if not impossible time trying to understand …
- Colon Cancer Survivors Are 42% Less Likely To Die If They Eat Well And Exercise (No Surprise There!)
Eating healthy and exercising isn’t always the easiest thing to do when you’ve survived cancer. Yet it may hold the …
- How to Do a Self Breast Exam At Home: Warning Signs of Breast Cancer to Watch Out For!
Doing a self breast exam every now and then can go a long way in preventing cancer growth. Breast cancer …
- The 24 Most Powerful Cancer-Fighting Foods
If you’re at risk of developing cancer, eating cancer fighting foods is just another way to heal your body. According …
- Over 100 Scientific Studies Agree: Cannabis Annihilates Cancer
The healing properties of cannabis are nothing new. In ancient India, cannabis was used to treat ailments such as insomnia …
- Some Cancers Heavily Dependent on Sugar to Grow, Study Finds
While studying the metabolisms of different types of cancer, researchers at the University of Texas in Dallas discovered that certain …
- This Native American Tea Fights Cancer Cells And This Is How You Make It…
As you’ve probably noticed, conventional medicine is finally catching up to the methods traditional medicine has been using for millennia. …
- Given 18 Months To Live, Cures Himself With Cannabis Oil
As time goes on and individuals’ stories unfold and are shared, the efficacy of cannabis as a treatment for cancer …