In the hotter months, it seems like every little thing takes extra effort.
Even getting a good night’s sleep seems impossible without blasting the air conditioning for hours on end.
If you don’t have the luxury of an air conditioning unit or central air, getting relief from the heat may be a daunting task, but there are little tricks you can use to stay cool without busting the bank or breaking a sweat.
In fact, each trick listed below takes less than 15 minutes to set up.
5 DIY Cooling Tricks
Macgyver your way to a nice cool breeze!
1. Minimalist Solution
This little trick is perfect for college students or anyone on a shoestring budget.
All you need is a shallow bowl, some ice, and a small fan.
Place the ice in the bowl so that it makes a small mound. Place the bowl in front of the fan and start it at a low-to-medium speed setting. That’s it ! Replace the ice as it melts to stay nice and cool. Freeze the melted ice again for a continuous cycle of cold air.
2. Cooling Curtains
If you have lightweight cotton curtains, spray them with cold water and open your windows. The cold water should chill the breeze slightly and leave you feeling refreshed. You can also use a damp sheet if your curtains aren’t suited for the job.
3. Window Timing
It’s no secret that it’s a lot colder at night outside than it is in the afternoon. Take advantage of this natural heat cycle by keeping your windows open at night to let the cold air in and keeping them closed during the air to keep it in. You can also point the back of a fan towards your open window to force the cold air in.
4. Turn Off Your Electronics
Electronics radiate heat, especially your dishwasher and cooktop. Even smaller appliances like lamps and computers produce heat, so try to unplug on particularly hot days. Skip the oven and treat yourself to cold, raw food when the heat just isn’t letting up.
5. Make Your Own Air Conditioner
- A small fan
- A plastic cooler
- A Dryer vent
- Duct tape
- A razor
- A marker
- Trace the outline of the fan (face down) and vent on the top of the cooler, leaving a significant space between each one.
- Cut out the tracings and discard the excess plastic. Be conservative: cut closer to the lines and adjust to make it bigger if necessary.
- Cut off 10” from the dryer vent.
- Bend it into an L shape and place it in the designated hole, securing it with duct tape.
- Fill the cooler with ice or frozen water bottles.
- Place the lid on the cooler and place the fan over the remaining hole.
- Turn on the fan and enjoy!
- Brazil Chicken Farmers Say No To American GMO Corn
Despite mounting evidence against the use of GMO crops, many companies and agricultural agencies insist that they’re safe to use. …
- Hand-Foot-And-Mouth Disease Is Sweeping Across Parts Of The US: Experts Beg Parents To Know These Signs
If you have kids, you probably know about Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). While it sounds like a peculiar …
- The Secret To Losing Weight Is In THIS Simple Drink (And You Probably Don’t Get Enough of It)
No one would argue that drinking water is necessary to maintain health. The standard recommendation for daily water intake is …
- These Folks Converted Their Swimming Pool Into a Self-Sufficient Farm and It’s Awesome
Drought, climate conditions, and pollution are major factors concerning agriculturists. Drought can be overcome with drought-resistant plants, climate-controlled environments can …
- Why Eating Low-Fat Is The Worst Thing You Can Do For Weight Loss
Contrary to popular belief, low-fat foods aren’t any healthier or safer to eat than their full-fat versions. Low-fat diets endorsed …
- She Sprays Her Yard With Apple Cider Vinegar…The Reason? This Is Pure GENIUS!
Sure, vinegar is an essential ingredient in any home, but the condiment is often underestimated in and out of the …
- 5 Natural Ways to Bust Stress Immediately!
We can often find ourselves giving so much to others, be it at work or at home, that we often …
- 5 Things You Can Do Each Day That Will Help You Recover From Depression
I’m big on personal development (PD), and one of my favorite concepts is the Slight Edge Principle, because it helped …
- How to Measure and Protect Your Hearing
Did you know that 1 in 5 people in the U.S. suffer from hearing loss, and that 80% of those …
- Coca-Cola Paid $1,000,000 to Make Sure You Don’t Know This
Coca-Cola’s sales have been steadily declining in recent years due to the public’s increased awareness of its most popular drink’s …
- The Perfect Exercise To Fix Poor Body Posture
Parents and teachers always tell children to keep their back straight. How many times have you heard it yourself? Poor …
- According To This Study, Poor Lifestyle Choices Can Affect Future Generations Through DNA
There’s evidence that environmental stressors and trauma can be passed down from one generation to the next(1), but now new …
- Chart Comparing Global Drug Prices Exposes How US Govt Creates Mega Profits For Big Pharma
It’s no secret that pharmaceutical drugs in the United States are incredibly expensive when compared to costs in other developed …
- 18 Medicinal Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is the sweet smelling herb with blue-violet flowers that many of us will associate with our grandmothers and childhood. …
- ￼4 Mistakes You’re Doing That’s Making Your Autoimmune Disorder Worse
Autoimmune disorders affect people in ever-increasing numbers – Grave’s Disease, MS, lupus, Celiac’s Disease – these diseases can be crippling, …