In the hotter months, it seems like every little thing takes extra effort.
Even getting a good night’s sleep seems impossible without blasting the air conditioning for hours on end.
If you don’t have the luxury of an air conditioning unit or central air, getting relief from the heat may be a daunting task, but there are little tricks you can use to stay cool without busting the bank or breaking a sweat.
In fact, each trick listed below takes less than 15 minutes to set up.
5 DIY Cooling Tricks
Macgyver your way to a nice cool breeze!
1. Minimalist Solution
This little trick is perfect for college students or anyone on a shoestring budget.
All you need is a shallow bowl, some ice, and a small fan.
Place the ice in the bowl so that it makes a small mound. Place the bowl in front of the fan and start it at a low-to-medium speed setting. That’s it ! Replace the ice as it melts to stay nice and cool. Freeze the melted ice again for a continuous cycle of cold air.
2. Cooling Curtains
If you have lightweight cotton curtains, spray them with cold water and open your windows. The cold water should chill the breeze slightly and leave you feeling refreshed. You can also use a damp sheet if your curtains aren’t suited for the job.
3. Window Timing
It’s no secret that it’s a lot colder at night outside than it is in the afternoon. Take advantage of this natural heat cycle by keeping your windows open at night to let the cold air in and keeping them closed during the air to keep it in. You can also point the back of a fan towards your open window to force the cold air in.
4. Turn Off Your Electronics
Electronics radiate heat, especially your dishwasher and cooktop. Even smaller appliances like lamps and computers produce heat, so try to unplug on particularly hot days. Skip the oven and treat yourself to cold, raw food when the heat just isn’t letting up.
5. Make Your Own Air Conditioner
- A small fan
- A plastic cooler
- A Dryer vent
- Duct tape
- A razor
- A marker
- Trace the outline of the fan (face down) and vent on the top of the cooler, leaving a significant space between each one.
- Cut out the tracings and discard the excess plastic. Be conservative: cut closer to the lines and adjust to make it bigger if necessary.
- Cut off 10” from the dryer vent.
- Bend it into an L shape and place it in the designated hole, securing it with duct tape.
- Fill the cooler with ice or frozen water bottles.
- Place the lid on the cooler and place the fan over the remaining hole.
- Turn on the fan and enjoy!
- 5 Foods To Protect Your Skin From UV Radiation
The food you eat can make a dramatic impact on how your skin looks. Certain foods, in particular, can promote …
- Key Witness in Medical Malpractice Cases Blocked By CDC From Testifying
In recent years, controversy has arisen over children’s vaccinations against what used to be common diseases. Vaccination against measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) …
- Burn Belly Fat Fast with This 6 Minute Exercise Circuit
When we think of our “core”, we may think only of our abdominal and pelvic muscles. Physiologically speaking, the core …
- 4 Shocking Mammogram Facts You Don’t Know But Should
Doctors often recommend an annual mammogram. It’s supposedly one of the best ways to prevent breast cancer. However, in a recent …
- 7-week-old Boy Hears Mom’s Voice for the First Time, Can’t Help But Smile.
In 2012, Lachlan Lever of Victoria, Australia was born with moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears. Seven weeks …
- 13 Detox Foods To Flush Out Toxins, Fight Cancer Cells And Relentlessly Hunt Free Radicals
You body is constantly filtering your food and your blood to remove toxins and waste. This automated self-cleaning process helps keep your body healthy and …
- Your Lymphatic System: The Forgotten Hero
Did you know that we are exposed to 82,000 different toxins, chemically-based products and processed foods in our environment weekly? …
- How to Pick a Juicy, Delicious and Nutrient-Packed Watermelon Every Time
If summer had to be represented by one fruit, it would definitely be watermelon. Enjoyed on beaches, campgrounds, and porches …
- Here’s Why You Should Leave A Coin In The Freezer Before Leaving The House
When preparing for a vacation, everybody has a list of things they check before leaving the house. Most people double …
- Use This Inexpensive DIY Hack To Keep Your Feet Warm Throughout The Winter
The cold always finds a way to your feet. Colds, cystitis, kidney problems are just few of the many problems you may face …
- This Guy Was Born With Just One Arm… Watch Him Annihilate All Your Gym-Skpping Excuses
Excuses are the only things preventing most people from getting into shape. That’s why Luke Ericson’s strategy for dealing with this is simple: …
- This Natural Grout Cleaner Doesn’t Produce Any Toxic Fumes And Keeps Your Tiles Clean And Spotless!
Your bathroom is one of the most contaminated areas of your home, other than your kitchen. It’s not just full …
- 12 Types of Pain That Are Directly Linked To Emotional States
You may have noticed that people who are often ill tend to be pretty negative. Of course, it’s hard to …
- Eat Two Kiwi Fruits an Hour Before Bedtime And Get an Extra Hour of Sleep, Study Finds
Studies have shown that one in three adults suffers from insomnia or symptoms of insomnia, meaning that one in three …
- How To Get Wrinkles Out Of Clothes Without Using An Iron – 10 Simple Tricks!
With our increasingly busy schedules and “always on the go” attitude, we can often find our favorite outfit looking a …