There’s nothing like a decadent slice of chocolate cake or a nibble of a creamy chocolate bar to keep your sweet tooth satisfied.
But as your dentist will tell you, these treats often contain high levels of sweeteners that can cause cavities and high blood sugar.
However, if you choose wisely, you can enjoy nutrient-rich chocolate without any guilt or cost to your health. But first, here’s why you should quit conventional chocolate bars for good!
The Problem With Bars
While raw dark chocolate is considered a superfood, processed milk chocolate certainly isn’t.
First of all, it contains processed milk, which is full of bad fats, antibiotics and estrogen, which increases milk flow in dairy cows (1). Milk is also acidic and pro-inflammatory, meaning that high consumption can contribute to disease or worsen conditions like arthritis.
Additionally, sugar is the second ingredient in most chocolate bars, often accounting for 50g or more of its 100g weight (2). Additional sweeteners like high-fructose corn syrup are also used in popular chocolate-based candy bars. This can lead to conditions like diabetes, heart disease and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
In contrast, dark chocolate improves heart health, lowers low-density lipoprotein and increases feelings of relaxation and happiness. It also contains antioxidants that protect your neurons, lessen allergic response and fight bacterial overgrowth in your intestines (3).
When making your own chocolate, it’s best to use cacao rather than cocoa because cacao is a raw product high in antioxidants and nutrients like magnesium. On the other hand, cocoa is heated and processed, which causes it to lose some antioxidants and nutrients. Cocoa powder also often contains added sugars, fats, flavoring and preservatives (4).
Vegan Chocolate Pistachio Bark
This raw treat will have you skipping the candy aisle and heading straight home!
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ¼ chopped pistachios
- ½ cup favorite mixed fruit/nuts (try cranberries, coconut, and mango )
- Melt coconut by leaving it out in sunlight for an hour or so.
- Mix it with maple syrup in a medium bowl until well incorporated.
- Sift cacao into the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture onto a parchment-line baking sheet or fill halfway into shaped silicone molds for fun bite-sized chocolates.
- Sprinkle the chocolate with fruits and nuts of your choice.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Enjoy and store in covered container in your fridge.
- 27 Weird Shaped Fruits And Vegetables That Will Still Give You Plenty of Nutrients
Food comes in all shapes and sizes. But despite how they look, these weirdly-shaped fruits and vegetables still offer plenty …
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits Cancer and Weight Loss
The Ketogenic Diet is making the rounds as a new “fad” and people are asking questions. In fact, this nutritional …
- Drink Lemon Water Instead of Pills if You Have One of These 11 Problems
Lemons are very versatile fruits—with loads of vitamin C (a primary nutrient for immune system support), vitamin B6, calcium, potassium, …
- Eat a Handful of These Seeds a Day To Prevent Cancer and Fight Many More Diseases
Of all the members of the squash family, pumpkin is perhaps the most underrated and underappreciated member. And while most …
- High Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Dangerous Heavy Metals
The enzyme, Xylose isomerase, is used to turn glucose to fructose in the high fructose corn syrup creation process; what …
- 7 Foods You Can Add to Your Water That Aid in Digestion and Eliminate Toxins From Your Body
Staying hydrated is essential to promoting good digestion and overall health – ideally you should be drinking between 6 and …
- The Most Healthy Yogurt In Existence?
Greek yogurt is one of the latest health food crazes – but is it really better for you than any …
- This Food can Help Treat Your Post-Thanksgiving Hangover
It isn’t a bad thing to indulge in a few too many drinks at the holiday party, or lose count …
- This is How Green Tea Promises To Boost Brain Power (It’s Totally Unexpected!)
There’s nothing like a nice cup of green tea to soothe the mind and revitalize the spirit. Long considered a …
- 14 Fast Food and Restaurant Employees Confess the One Item You Should Never Order
(originally written by Charisma Madarang) The following question was posed on Reddit: “Fast food workers of Reddit, what should we NOT …
- Here’s How You Can Increase Turmeric Absorption By Adding Two Simple Ingredients
When we talk about eating foods for their specific health benefits, many people think simply eating the food is enough. …
- Seralini Study on GMOs Republished After Unprecedented Scientific Censorship
There is hope. In a world where manipulation, deception, lies, and censorship abound to serve the purposes of those with …
- The Effects of Chemicals in Processed Food Can Be Made Worse by The Presence of Other Chemicals
We know that chemicals in processed foods are bad for us, but they may be even worse for us than …
- 1 Super-Common Food That’s Ruining Your Skin, Joints & Blood Sugar
Sometimes it’s difficult to discern trend diets from the truth about nutrition. It seems that everyone has an agenda, a …
- 5 Foods That Affect Thyroid Health For The Better or Worse
(originally written by Elizabeth Walling) Food heals. And when it comes to foods for your thyroid, it’s all the more true. …