There’s nothing like a decadent slice of chocolate cake or a nibble of a creamy chocolate bar to keep your sweet tooth satisfied.
But as your dentist will tell you, these treats often contain high levels of sweeteners that can cause cavities and high blood sugar.
However, if you choose wisely, you can enjoy nutrient-rich chocolate without any guilt or cost to your health. But first, here’s why you should quit conventional chocolate bars for good!
The Problem With Bars
While raw dark chocolate is considered a superfood, processed milk chocolate certainly isn’t.
First of all, it contains processed milk, which is full of bad fats, antibiotics and estrogen, which increases milk flow in dairy cows (1). Milk is also acidic and pro-inflammatory, meaning that high consumption can contribute to disease or worsen conditions like arthritis.
Additionally, sugar is the second ingredient in most chocolate bars, often accounting for 50g or more of its 100g weight (2). Additional sweeteners like high-fructose corn syrup are also used in popular chocolate-based candy bars. This can lead to conditions like diabetes, heart disease and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
In contrast, dark chocolate improves heart health, lowers low-density lipoprotein and increases feelings of relaxation and happiness. It also contains antioxidants that protect your neurons, lessen allergic response and fight bacterial overgrowth in your intestines (3).
When making your own chocolate, it’s best to use cacao rather than cocoa because cacao is a raw product high in antioxidants and nutrients like magnesium. On the other hand, cocoa is heated and processed, which causes it to lose some antioxidants and nutrients. Cocoa powder also often contains added sugars, fats, flavoring and preservatives (4).
Vegan Chocolate Pistachio Bark
This raw treat will have you skipping the candy aisle and heading straight home!
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ¼ chopped pistachios
- ½ cup favorite mixed fruit/nuts (try cranberries, coconut, and mango )
- Melt coconut by leaving it out in sunlight for an hour or so.
- Mix it with maple syrup in a medium bowl until well incorporated.
- Sift cacao into the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture onto a parchment-line baking sheet or fill halfway into shaped silicone molds for fun bite-sized chocolates.
- Sprinkle the chocolate with fruits and nuts of your choice.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Enjoy and store in covered container in your fridge.
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- How To Make Chocolate Cake With Avocado Instead Of Eggs And Butter
If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. …
- 30 Simple and Effective Whole Food Substitutes to Improve Your Total Wellness Right Away
If you haven’t caught up by now, the Standard American Diet – appropriately nicknamed SAD – is horrible. It’s literally …
- Pineapple And Turmeric Drink Reverses Cancer-Causing Inflammation And Even Beats The Common Cold!
Pineapple, turmeric, ginger and lemon all have two things in common. They’re all ingredients that have been shown to have …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …
- 11 Good Reasons Why Ignoring Polyphenols In Your Diet Is a Big Mistake!
What is something that dark chocolate, green tea, red wine, blueberries, flaxseed, and coffee all have in common? Polyphenols! Polyphenols …
- Top 13 Inflammatory Foods You Should Avoid
As we get older, our bodies don’t always keep up. Muscles aren’t as strong as they used to be, skin …
- How Much Water Do We Need To Drink, According To Our Weight?
If you’ve never taken the time to appreciate all the health benefits of water, now may just be the right …
- How To Make Alkaline Water To Fight Fatigue, Digestive Issues And Cancer
Is alkaline water good for you? A healthy body should always be slightly alkaline. The majority of people today, however, tend to …