There’s nothing like a decadent slice of chocolate cake or a nibble of a creamy chocolate bar to keep your sweet tooth satisfied.
But as your dentist will tell you, these treats often contain high levels of sweeteners that can cause cavities and high blood sugar.
However, if you choose wisely, you can enjoy nutrient-rich chocolate without any guilt or cost to your health. But first, here’s why you should quit conventional chocolate bars for good!
The Problem With Bars
While raw dark chocolate is considered a superfood, processed milk chocolate certainly isn’t.
First of all, it contains processed milk, which is full of bad fats, antibiotics and estrogen, which increases milk flow in dairy cows (1). Milk is also acidic and pro-inflammatory, meaning that high consumption can contribute to disease or worsen conditions like arthritis.
Additionally, sugar is the second ingredient in most chocolate bars, often accounting for 50g or more of its 100g weight (2). Additional sweeteners like high-fructose corn syrup are also used in popular chocolate-based candy bars. This can lead to conditions like diabetes, heart disease and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
In contrast, dark chocolate improves heart health, lowers low-density lipoprotein and increases feelings of relaxation and happiness. It also contains antioxidants that protect your neurons, lessen allergic response and fight bacterial overgrowth in your intestines (3).
When making your own chocolate, it’s best to use cacao rather than cocoa because cacao is a raw product high in antioxidants and nutrients like magnesium. On the other hand, cocoa is heated and processed, which causes it to lose some antioxidants and nutrients. Cocoa powder also often contains added sugars, fats, flavoring and preservatives (4).
Vegan Chocolate Pistachio Bark
This raw treat will have you skipping the candy aisle and heading straight home!
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ¼ chopped pistachios
- ½ cup favorite mixed fruit/nuts (try cranberries, coconut, and mango )
- Melt coconut by leaving it out in sunlight for an hour or so.
- Mix it with maple syrup in a medium bowl until well incorporated.
- Sift cacao into the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture onto a parchment-line baking sheet or fill halfway into shaped silicone molds for fun bite-sized chocolates.
- Sprinkle the chocolate with fruits and nuts of your choice.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Enjoy and store in covered container in your fridge.
- Researchers Finally Have Tangible Proof That Eating Spices Significantly Reduces Inflammation
Researchers in Gainesville, Florida have released the results of a brilliant experiment, essentially proving something that has been suspected for …
- Walnuts Are Drugs, Says FDA
You have GOT to be kidding. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for exhaustively testing and regulating …
- 5 Ways to Improve Nutrient Absorption
Eating all the right fruits, veggies, and healthy foods isn’t very much help if your body isn’t getting all that …
- 8 Shocking Reasons GMOs are Bad for You
Genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, are created when a gene from one species is transferred to another, creating something that …
- 5 Unexpected Ways to Use Avocados
The avocado, which is actually a fruit, not a vegetable, boasts a wide array of health benefits. Rich in fiber, …
- 4 Ways Eating Turmeric Transforms Regular Fat-Storing Cells Into Fat-Burning Ones
You may have heard about how turmeric might revolutionize cancer treatment. The spice is already known to treat, cure or …
- Should I Eat That Peanut Butter Sandwich?
A peanut butter sandwich probably seems pretty innocuous, but is it really good for you? Let’s take apart this lunchtime …
- 4 Benefits of Apples That You’ve Never Heard About
“An apple a day keeps the doctor away” — a proverb, dating from the 19th century, which turns out to be …
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits Cancer and Weight Loss
The Ketogenic Diet is making the rounds as a new “fad” and people are asking questions. In fact, this nutritional …
- 5 Vegetables for Quick Garden Growing with Powerful Health Benefits
Mary, Mary quite contrary How does your garden grow? With parsley, kale, spinach, and beans! It’s quick and easy to …
- 5 Interesting Uses of Green Tea
Green tea is well known for its antioxidant properties that aid in a myriad of health benefits, including the classic …
- Simple Infographic Shows You EXACTLY How To Cut ANY Recipe In Half
A big part of staying healthy is keeping your portions under control. Cooking at home is the easiest way to …
- 12 Foods Fit People Love
We all want to know the secrets of very fit people. How do they motivate themselves every day? When do …
- 30 Foods For a Healthier Life
There are countless diets out there telling you what to eat, when you should eat it, how much you should …
- Is Your Energy Drink and Alcohol Combo a Danger to Your Health
There is a trend amongst people in the United States to enjoy mixing alcoholic beverages with energy drinks. This is …