When it comes to your overall health, your feet are probably one of the last things you’d think of.
And while your feet support your body weight most of the day, it’s rare that they actually get any special attention as you unwind in the evening.
To get the most out of your sleep and reset your health every morning, make it a habit to massage your feet at night.
What Is Reflexology?
Reflexology is the application of appropriate pressure to specific points and areas on the feet, hands, or ears. Like in acupuncture and acupressure, it is believed that these points are connected to different organs and systems in your body (1).
Reflexologists massage these points to promote better health and healing of these systems through improved blood and lymph flow. Reflexology also help relieve stress, which contributes up to 80% for the development of any illness (2).
Reflexology is typically used as a non-invasive complimentary treatment for conditions like anxiety, asthma, cancer treatment, cardiovascular issues, diabetes, headaches, kidney function, PMS, and sinusitis.
It’s also known to cure insomnia, treat dementia and improve the well-being of patients with mobility issues.
As it stands, scientific studies have proven its efficacy in treating chronic pain, headaches, stroke, multiple sclerosis, peripheral neuropathy, asthma and chronic stress (3).
How To Massage Your Feet
Doing this at right before bed will give your body a change to detox and re-establish itself while your sleep, leaving you rejuvenated and energized when you wake up!
- Start sitting down in a solid, comfortable chair and rest your right foot on your left knee. Your thighs should remain parallel to each other.
- Consult an acupressure chart to have an idea of where to massage. For example, if your feeling pain of the left side of your neck, massage your left foot in the spot that corresponds to your neck.
- Keep your back straight and tall and use your thumb to apply pressure to the corresponding spot. Start with a light touch and gradually build to a firm pressure as you hold the spot for 2 minutes.
- Start to knead the area or apply circular motion for 1-2 minutes.
- Work through the other organs that need attention and finish with a light massage on your whole foot, not forgetting the toes or top of your feet.
- Repeat daily, taking a 3-4 days break after 10 consecutive days of treatment.
- How To Stop A Nosebleed The Right Way (And How To Avoid It In the First Place!)
With winter right around the corner, many of us can expect to have at least one nosebleed in the next …
- They Sent Froot Loops To a Lab For Tests…What They Found Should Have Every Parent Concerned!
Froot loops are synonymous with childhood for many of those who have grown up in the United States. The cereal’s …
- Try This Coconut Oil Shampoo and Conditioner For Perfect Hair
The more time you spend outdoors, the more care you should put in preventing sunburns and dried hair. Sun damage can …
- 3 Important Things To Consider When You’re Washing Your Hair (How Often Is Too Much?)
How many times a week do you wash your hair? Every dermatologist and hair stylist has a different recommendation. It’s …
- Press And Hold This Point On Your Chest To Instantly Relieve Stress And Anxiety
It wasn’t too long ago that Eastern medicine of any kind was considered quackery. Thankfully, we have evolved and are …
- Study: Kitchen Sponges Are 200,000 Times Dirtier Than a Toilet Seat (And 17 Other Super Dirty Items)
When it comes to cleaning, the bathroom is typically where most of your efforts are focused. You probably make sure …
- 4 Simple Home Remedies to Help Manage Acid Reflux That Don’t Require a Doctor’s Prescription
Acid reflux and it’s more serious cousin, GERD, affect many Americans, causing any number of symptoms, from a burning sensation …
- Medicine For More Than 50 Diseases: This Super Tea Kills Parasites And Cleanses The Body of Toxins
Many of the ingredients used in this tea have been proven to help in the prevention of many deadly diseases …
- Put This 2-ingredient Water Mixture In Your Nose With A Neti Pot And Watch What Happens
Congestion is never fun, but it can certainly be managed. While many people rely on decongestant spray, these products can …
- How to Fight Sarcopenia (Muscle Loss Due to Aging)
Sarcopenia, better known as muscle loss, is an unfortunate common condition in older adults. It’s estimated that 10% of adults …
- 8 Delicious Superfoods That Can Help You Manage High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure affects approximately one in every three American adults – about 70 million people. According to the US …
- Top 5 Causes for Cancer
Environmental factors, the food you eat, and the lifestyle you choose play an important role in determining if you are …
- Here’s What THESE 5 Doctors Have To Say About Vaccines (You’ll Want To Hear This For Yourself!)
Let’s be honest, the subject of vaccines is pretty controversial, regardless of what side of the debate you stand on. …
- “Super Lice” Outbreak Hits 25 States: Here’s What You Can Do To Get Rid of Them Naturally
There’s an outbreak of drug-resistant head lice in half of U.S. states and they’re kind of a big problem, especially …
- How To Use Cloves To Instantly Get Rid of Toothache And Relieve Pain Naturally
A toothache can indicate a more serious issue, but at least you can soothe the pain. The following home remedy …