For the past 55 years, a US-led trade embargo on Cuba has ensured that technological advances made by the country stayed in Cuba – but now, with the Obama administration looking to normalize trade between the two nations, a Cuban lung cancer vaccine is set to be evaluated by the US Food and Drug Administration.
The vaccine, known as CimaVax-EGF, is the first therapeutic cancer vaccine developed to target one of the most common forms of lung cancer, non-small-cell lung carcinoma(1).
Developed at the Center of Molecular Technology in Cuba, the vaccine is still in trial phases, but bringing it to the United States could be a major step forward in making it accessible globally.
Early Trials Are Promising
Early trials of the vaccine showed improved survival rates among vaccinated test subjects, although the success of the vaccine does seem to be limited by age – only subjects under the age of 60 seemed to benefit from the vaccine in terms of survival(2).
The vaccine works by immunizing patients with epidermal growth factor, or EGF, raising antibodies to target the EGF itself in the body. The EGF receptors are then “hijacked” by the lung cancer, and as the EGF concentrations in the blood are reduced, the cancer cells are denied the growth stimulus they require to thrive(3).
The Roswell Park Group in the United States believes that the vaccine may prove most useful as preventative, rather than therapeutic, medicine for this reason(4).
Cuba’s Response To A Unique Problem
While Cuba is a relatively impoverished nation (the average worker there earns just 20 dollars per month) it has also been on the cutting edge of biotech and medical research.
Currently, lung cancer is the fourth-leading cause of death in Cuba(5), a fact which has spurred the development of the CimaVax-EGF vaccine.
The vaccine is relatively cheap to produce, and stores easily – each shot costs the government of Cuba only 1 dollar(6).
Also notable is the fact the vaccine seems to have few serious side effects(7), making it one of the safest cancer treatments on the market today.
Future Cancer Vaccine Development
Clinical trials of the vaccine so far have been relatively small, and there is some concern that the patients included in these trials may not represent most of the patients who could benefit from the vaccine. With this is mind, many researchers are urging that CimaVax-EGF be tested in patients with early-stage lung cancer, as well as in patients who may not be good candidates for chemotherapy.
Many researchers believe that studying the CimaVax-EGF vaccine may be able to help them develop similar therapies for other forms of cancer as well.
Working Around Trade Embargoes
It’s only recently that collaborative research between Cuba and the US has been possible – President Obama has used some of his authority to lift a few of the restrictions against medical and research equipment, but there is still a ways to go before this collaboration can really take off.
Still, many hope that a scientific partnership between the US and Cuba will be good for both countries.
The hope is that Cuban researchers will be able to begin to share the techniques and approaches they developed while in relative isolation with the rest of the world, leading to more innovation in science and medicine worldwide.
- Hidden Toxins In Makeup And Consumer Products Pose Multiple Health Risks For Women
As more and more people become aware of possible toxins from pesticides and hormones in their food, “clean” eating – …
- Natural Compound Found In Marijuana Helps Heal Broken Bones, And Even Makes Them Stronger
A compound known as cannabinoid cannabidiol, or CBD, which is found in marijuana, may help heal bone fractures, even making …
- Video Game Developers Made This Virtual Forest For Both Alzheimer’s Patients and Their Caretakers
Many caretakers and family members of people living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia can struggle to understand …
- They Gave This Man Suffering From Alzheimer’s an iPod…Wait Until You See How He Reacts!
Alzheimer’s disease is an international health concern – the sixth leading cause of death in the United States, and the …
- Researchers Expose How Fluoride In Water Supply Is Making Us Sick and Depressed
New research from the Centre for Health Services Studies at the University of Kent is leading to calls for more …
- Ireland Makes Gutsy Move Against Tobacco Industry And Bans Branded Packaging
Following in the footsteps of Canada and other countries that have chosen to federally regulate the appearance of cigarette containers …
- Studies Show That Exercising Is The Best Way To Go About Removing Toxins From The Lymphatic System
There are two major circulatory systems in our bodies: the blood vascular system and the lymphatic system. While the blood …
- 4D Ultrasound Scans Reveal Not So Surprising Effects of What Smoking Does To a Fetus
There is no two ways about it: smoking is bad for your health. Every health and wellness website cautions you …
- The True History Of Chemotherapy & The Pharmaceutical Monopoly
Cancer isn’t just the disease of a generation, it’s been the disease of a century. While cancer charities have been …
- Researchers Discover That Plucking Hair In a Specific Pattern Helps Stimulate Regrowth
Baldness is a prospect that scares people more than most diseases and health disorders. The reason for this is that …
- 2-Year-Long Clinical Study Shows That CoQ10 Is Useful Against Parkinson’s Disease
A particular form of coenzyme Q10 – also known as CoQ10 – may be useful in treating the symptoms of …
- Researchers Discover That Diet Rich In Fruits And Veggies Gives You Stronger, Healthier Bones
According to the University of Michigan and the Alberta Bone and Joint Institute, a diet rich in fruits and vegetables …
- Scientists Discover a Way To Generate LIGHT By Using Pomegranate Juice And Turmeric Extract
LED technology is something many people rely on for emergency lighting, but the fact of the matter is that these …
- Innovative Technology Allows Parkinson’s Patients To Write And Draw Without Shaking
For many people living with Parkinson’s disease, any task that requires motor skills can be a major barrier. This can …
- This Amino Acid Could Help Protect Your Teeth and Prevent Decay By Destroying Harmful Bacteria
While many of us face paralyzing indecision when confronted with the myriad toothpaste, mouthwash, and teeth whitening products available commercially, …