Sleeping with a partner is nice. Sometimes. Other times, it can affect the healthy sleep of both people and force one or the other to take to the couch or spare bedroom. There are ways, however, to sleep complementary to each other, taking into account different sleep styles.
Often you can’t choose in what position you sleep. You may try to consciously go to sleep in one position but, invariably, you’ll switch to the most comfortable during the night. That’s okay. You can still have body contact with your partner, which strengthens your bond, while getting a restful night’s sleep. Here’s how:
1. Classic Spoons – two side sleepers
Great for full-body contact if you can stand the heat. Sleeping on your side takes the pressure off your back.
Putting a pillow between bent knees helps the back and knees as well. This position gives you all the benefits of side-sleeping and cuddling together.
2. Excalibur – back sleeper and side sleeper
The back sleeper should keep arms at the sides rather than around the head so as to avoid stress on the shoulders.
The side sleeper can then face the other with the back slightly toward the mattress to avoid the bottom arm falling asleep.
3. Paper Dolls – two back sleepers
While not full-on cuddling, the arm, hand, and foot contact still provide physical connection.
Turning faces toward each other as sleep sets in ensures the last image you see in the waking state is the loving face of your partner.
4. Sidesaddle – stomach sleeper and side sleeper
The stomach sleeper can put a pillow under the abdomen to take pressure off the back, then the side sleeper gently places arms on top of the other, allowing space between but still providing contact.
Even a gentle hand on the arm may be enough to keep your connection while in Lala Land.
The best sleep position is one in which the curve of your back is maintained and supported. How you achieve this is a matter of personal comfort and preference.
You can accomplish a healthy sleep position and still keep in close contact with your partner during sleep. Some assert that your sleep positions say a lot about the quality of your relationship; that may be partially true, however, comfort must take precedence for a solid night’s sleep so don’t fret if cuddling makes you too darn hot. There are ways for you and your partner to express closeness without either having to sleep on the floor.
- 3 Proven Ways To Use Intermittent Fasting To Help You Burn Fat
Intermittent fasting – the act of fasting for up to 24 hours at a time – has become particularly popular …
- Black Pepper And Turmeric – The Combination That Could Save Lives
Breast cancer is one of the most feared diseases that can affect both men and women. Although breast cancer itself …
- Your Body Is Acidic. Here’s What You NEED To Do (The Real Truth Behind Cancer…)
Ever heard of Dr. Otto H. Warburg? Unless you or your family member has suffered from cancer and tried to …
- Scientists Discover Taking an Anti-inflammatory Probiotic Can Stop Cancer Cells in Their Tracks
Bacteria are everywhere in the environment and inside your body. These little creatures are neither plant nor animal, they’re single-cell …
- 1 Lemon Peel Trick To Get Rid of Inflammation And Chronic Pain
Lemons are well-known for its health benefits. In fact, you’ve probably heard a lot about the advantages of drinking warm lemon water …
- How To Effectively Deep-Clean And Freshen Your Mattress Without Using Bleach
Although most people clean their bed sheets every week, it’s rare for people to think of washing their mattress even …
- Shocking: Obesity Found to Spark 500,000 Cancer Cases Annually
It is an unfortunate truth that both the United States’ and the world’s populations are becoming fatter. It seems that …
- The Scoop on Your Poop
It’s a topic that most of us are afraid to ask questions about – what does your poop mean about …
- Mainstream Media Finally Admits U.S. Honey Is Contaminated With Glyphosate Weed Killer
When we think of honey, we think of a basic, sweet, nutritious superfood that is delicious, versatile, and a completely …
- The Health Dangers of Sleep Deprivation
Do you know how much sleep you need? Recently, BBC News covered a story on an athlete who was killed …
- How To Make Your Own Eco-Friendly Laundry Soap
We all need to do our laundry, but if you’re the kind of person who likes to keep an eye …
- This Is How Often You Should Clean These 15 Household Items
How often do you clean household items? If you’re like most Americans, you probably clean at least once a week …
- This 3-Day Cleanse Is All You Need To Keep Your Lymphatic System Healthy All Year Long
The lymphatic system is a very important part of your body, but is often poorly understood. Poor lymphatic health is associated …
- 7 Surprising Health Benefits of Meditation Backed by Science
Age-old practices backed by modern science. No matter the tradition, as skeptical Americans, we require empirical evidence before we embrace …
- Asthma Can Be Reduced By Increasing Vitamin D Levels And Consuming Ginger
Patients with chronic inflammatory diseases, such as asthma are typically vitamin D deficient and can benefit from both increases in …