There’s nothing like a bug infestation to make your home feel dirty and inhospitable.
One of the worst residents that will try to crawl into your home is the cockroach.
These resistant bugs aren’t just hard to kill, they are believed to be the only creatures on earth that would survive a nuclear blast (1). Starving them doesn’t help much either, as the critters can go months without food.
Roaches also tend to live in packs. They leave trace markers in their droppings and near food sources for other roaches to follow. This mean that if you see one cockroach in your home, they are probably more hiding in the darkness or following the trail to your home. Worst of all, these bugs are nocturnal, meaning that they can occupy your home for months before you even notice them.
These pesky bugs love the warmth and humidity of a cozy home, which also guarantees them access to the crumbs lining your pantry and baseboards (2). Since their little legs often crawl through sewers and garbage before moving in, roaches often carry and spread coliform, salmonella, staphylococcus, and streptococcus. That’s why preparing food in a roach-infested kitchen often leads to food poisoning. Their droppings are also known to cause adverse reactions in asthmatics (3).
How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches
Contrary to popular belief, roaches don’t just live in dirty houses, they also thrive in the garbage cans of clean homes.
Since the pests can survive just about anything, most roach-killing products are incredibly harmful to your family and pets.
But there is a simple trick that will give you the upper hand: roaches have a strong sense of smell. This makes them sensitive to the smell of bay leaves.
To use, place laurel branches around your home or use the powdered herb in your pantry and garden. Your home will have a lovely smell and your pets and children won’t be harmed!
To avoid cockroaches, change your cleaning routine and they’ll walk right out. You’ll need to keep it up for a few months, preferably during the warmer months, before they pack up and leave.
- Clean up spills immediately and wash out all cans and bottles before recycling.
- Feed your pet at specific hours instead of leaving out their food all day and night and keep their water dish in a well-lit room.
- Store food in plastic and glass containers. Roaches can chew cardboard and paper, so transfer all pantry-stored goods in sturdier receptacles.
- Clean dark and damp areas in your kitchen, like behind the fridge or under the oven.
- Store garbage in sealed plastic containers and dispose of them daily. If possible, keep your closed garbage can outside.
- Wash your dishes after every meal or soak in hot water and dish soap.
- Vacuum your floors and furniture often, as they’re hotspots for egg masses.
- Dehumidify your garage and bathrooms and fix any leaky or poorly insulated pipes.
If cockroaches are a chronic problem in your household, call an exterminator to find out where they’re coming in whether it be a crack in a wall or a broken screen, and block their entry point immediately.
You can also line your doors, windows and baseboard with non-toxic Diatomaceous earth to kill these unwelcomed guests. Just make sure that you and your pets don’t inhale the mixture.
You can also make your own roach trap by lining a small jar with petroleum jelly and covering it with masking tape on the outside. Place a bit of food inside and place it in a cool, dark place. Cockroaches should be able to crawl in, but they’ll get stuck once inside. Once caught, you can release them far away from your home or kill them by sealing the jar and freezing it for two days or filling the jar with soapy water and sealing it for a few days.
- 5 Foods To Protect Your Skin From UV Radiation
The food you eat can make a dramatic impact on how your skin looks. Certain foods, in particular, can promote …
- Take THIS Vitamin and You Will Be Mosquito Free All Summer Long!
The bane of mammals’ existence, mosquitoes are a hazardous annoyance: prolific, omnipresent, making us itch, and carrying disease.(1) They seem …
- 9 Pesticide-filled Teas You Should Never Buy (and the Kind You Should!)
Tea is one of the most popular drinks enjoyed around the world. Americans drink up to 80 billion cups of …
- Creamy, Easy To Make, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free, Coconut Ice Cream
Dessert sure is sweet, but it typically comes with a price. That being said, it can be healthy and satisfying …
- Top 6 Reasons Why You’re Forgetful
Did you forget where you put your keys again? Maybe you can’t remember what you ate for dinner yesterday. Memory …
- 15 Anti-cancer Tips Gathered From The Best Natural Cancer Protocols Ever Discovered
The best method to prevent cancer from ever developing is not giving it any reasons to do so. But that isn’t …
- Mix This with Shampoo To Stop Dandruff And Increase Hair Growth
You never know when you might need the following home remedies for dandruff. Half of us experience dandruff—dead skin cells …
- This 1 Ingredient Is All You Need To Take Your Dirty Sink From This To THIS
When was the last time you gave your kitchen sink a good cleaning? If you hate seeing hard water stains, then it …
- This Immunologist is a Strong Believer in “The Power of Dirt.” Why? Get Ready to be Mind Blown!
It’s time to put to rest the popular myth that disease is a factor primarily of chance, spurred on by …
- 10 Daily Mistakes You Make That Age You Faster
Aging is inevitable. Since it’ll happen anyways, why not make it graceful? Life is the result of a series of …
- Drink This ONE Ingredient Juice in The Morning and Evening. Sleep 90 More Minutes a Night!
With an estimated one third of Americans over the age of 65 suffering from insomnia, researchers from Louisiana State University …
- The Simple Eye Test To Tell If Your Adrenals Are Fatigued And What To Do IMMEDIATELY If They Are!
We are all faced with an incredible amount of pressure in our day to day life. Pressure to be the …
- 70-Year-Old Man Reveals Secret To Staying Physically and Mentally Fitter Than People Half His Age
Stephen Jepson may be one of the most creative and active people you will ever meet, especially at his age. …
- 7 Warning Signs of Pancreatic Cancer
Pancreatic cancer is among the worst killers in modern medicine, for numerous different reasons. The incredibly low prognosis for those …
- 6 Key Nutrients Women Need as They Age
The specific composition of women’s bodies means that it’s important they get enough of certain vitamins and minerals, in order …