If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. And while the green fruit sure is good on its own or in savory recipes, the creaminess of avocados lends itself well to sweet recipes too.
If you alarmed by the thought of how the slight bitterness of avocados works in a dessert, fret no more. Chocolate covers up the flavor, making it a delicious and nutritious combination.
Avocado Chocolate Cake Recipe
You’ll never look at chocolate cake the same way again!
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons organic cocao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed until smooth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups raw coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Grease and flour two 9” round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine all your dry ingredients except sugar.
- In another bowl, combine all your wet ingredients, including the avocado and whisk thoroughly.
- Add sugar to the wet ingredients and whisk again.
- Make a small dent in the dry ingredients and slowly pour the wet batter into the bowl, stirring to combine. Do not over-stir.
- Divide the batter evenly into the two pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes before removing the cakes from their pans and letting them cool completely.
If you wish, frost the cakes by making a frosting out of 2 ripe mashed avocados, 1 cup of fine-grain or powdered coconut sugar and 5 tablespoons of cacao powder. Whip up the frosting to get a thick, rich texture.
Once the cakes are completely cool, frost the top of the first cake and place the second cake on top on this layer of frosting. Frost the top and sides of the double-decker cake. Enjoy!
Why Use Avocados?
Avocados are chock-full of health benefits just waiting to be discovered.
Plus, the healthy fats in this fruit increases the bioavailability of nutrients like
- Vitamins – B-complex, C, E, K
These fats even naturally lower lowers LDL (“bad”cholesterol) and increases HDL (“good”cholesterol) to fight heart disease (2).
They also protect your brain from cognitive decline by improving brain mitochondrial function (3).
These fruit makes you shine from the inside out: first by improving your overall health, then by healing your skin. Surprisingly, these mighty fruits contain antioxidants that increase soluble collagen content in the skin and fight visible signs of aging (5).
- 5 Nourishing Carrot Recipes. #3 Will Make You Drool.
Many parents try telling their children that the more carrots they eat – the better they will be able to …
- Raw Chocolate Smoothie Recipe with Avocado, Almond Milk, Banana and Raw Honey
Oh, my. This looks so incredibly delicious that we may have to put it at the top of the “gotta …
- Drink This Turmeric Juice For Its Anti-Inflammatory Properties (Just Blend All The Ingredients!)
Turmeric is a popular spice, particularly in India, where it is added to many dishes not only for it’s distinctive …
- 10 Vegan Recipes That Cheese Addicts Will Love
1. Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese This one is a classic. Recipe here. 2. Roasted Sweet Potato and Bean Quesadillas …
- How To Make Turmeric Tea That’s Both Delicious And Healthy
If you are taking ibuprofen tablets (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin & Nurofen) for everything ranging from headache, backache and other muscular aches …
- 5 Sweet Tooth Satisfying But Healthy Apricot Recipes. #5 Will Boost Heart Health.
Summer-ready apricots are a great and healthy way to satisfy your urge for something sweet, but also jam packed with …
- Easy To Make Lemon Lavender Pancakes (With Coconut Flour and Homemade Almond Milk)
Pancakes are the ultimate all-American breakfast food. While there are many amazing toppings you can try to take your pancake …
- It Was Hard To Snack Healthy Until I Tried These 16 Delicious Metabolism-Boosting Ideas
The foods you eat between meals are just as important. Snack on the wrong foods and your health will suffer. …
- These Super Healthy Turmeric Coconut Cream Cups Are Easy To Make At Home!
If you’re looking for a way to get more superfoods into your diet. This recipe is going to be your …
- Make 7 Days Worth of Breakfast In Just One Day With This Easy Oatmeal Hack
Steal-cut oats usually take about 40 minutes to cook. Nobody wants to spend that kind of time first thing in the …
- Garlic Soup Made With 52 Cloves of Garlic Can Defeat Colds, Flu And Even Norovirus
It’s difficult and nearly impossible to go through winter without catching a cold. Most people rely on Tylenol or cough medicine to …
- 5 Tasty Cherry Recipes That Will Give Your Body a Much Needed Boost In Melatonin
No one can resist the sweet tartness of a cherry. It turns out there is much more the cherry can …
- Drink This Probiotic-Rich Lemonade To Boost Your Immune System And Improve Gut Health
There’s no drink more appropriate on a warm sunny day than a tall glass of lemonade, especially when citrus fruits …
- Anti-inflammatory Honey Turmeric Tonic Recipe And 17 Other Master Tonics
If you often find yourself tired or sick, it may be time to start integrating a master tonic or two …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …