If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. And while the green fruit sure is good on its own or in savory recipes, the creaminess of avocados lends itself well to sweet recipes too.
If you alarmed by the thought of how the slight bitterness of avocados works in a dessert, fret no more. Chocolate covers up the flavor, making it a delicious and nutritious combination.
Avocado Chocolate Cake Recipe
You’ll never look at chocolate cake the same way again!
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons organic cocao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed until smooth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups raw coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Grease and flour two 9” round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine all your dry ingredients except sugar.
- In another bowl, combine all your wet ingredients, including the avocado and whisk thoroughly.
- Add sugar to the wet ingredients and whisk again.
- Make a small dent in the dry ingredients and slowly pour the wet batter into the bowl, stirring to combine. Do not over-stir.
- Divide the batter evenly into the two pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes before removing the cakes from their pans and letting them cool completely.
If you wish, frost the cakes by making a frosting out of 2 ripe mashed avocados, 1 cup of fine-grain or powdered coconut sugar and 5 tablespoons of cacao powder. Whip up the frosting to get a thick, rich texture.
Once the cakes are completely cool, frost the top of the first cake and place the second cake on top on this layer of frosting. Frost the top and sides of the double-decker cake. Enjoy!
Why Use Avocados?
Avocados are chock-full of health benefits just waiting to be discovered.
Plus, the healthy fats in this fruit increases the bioavailability of nutrients like
- Vitamins – B-complex, C, E, K
These fats even naturally lower lowers LDL (“bad”cholesterol) and increases HDL (“good”cholesterol) to fight heart disease (2).
They also protect your brain from cognitive decline by improving brain mitochondrial function (3).
These fruit makes you shine from the inside out: first by improving your overall health, then by healing your skin. Surprisingly, these mighty fruits contain antioxidants that increase soluble collagen content in the skin and fight visible signs of aging (5).
- How To Do a 3-Day Sugar Detox to ACCELERATE Fat Loss And Improve Your Mood!
Everybody gets a sweet tooth every once in a while, but it’s easy for these cravings to develop into full-blown …
- The World’s #1 Food For Heart Attack, Hypertension, Stroke And Cholesterol
Dates aren’t the most attractive fruit, but they certainly are sweet and nutritious. Studies show that this amazing fruit has …
- Top 6 Health Benefits of Magnesium
You probably already know a lot about the other vitamins and minerals that are crucial to your overall optimal health, …
- Make Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup In 15 Minutes To Fight Cancer, Inflammation and More
A bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are true tokens of childhood. Although it may seem like …
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods You Can Eat Every Day
The links between chronic inflammation and increased risk of diseases like cancer are well documented – as one study puts …
- 30 Simple and Effective Whole Food Substitutes to Improve Your Total Wellness Right Away
If you haven’t caught up by now, the Standard American Diet – appropriately nicknamed SAD – is horrible. It’s literally …
- This Drink Will Burn Stomach Fat 4X Faster, Prevent Cancer, Improve Energy And Remove Toxins
Most tea can be found either in tea bag or loose leaf form. Occasionally, it can also be fermented and …
- Do Not Use Apple Cider Vinegar If You’re On Any Of These Medications
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Our bodies are complex organisms that are constantly moving, with chemicals acting and interacting. Sometimes …
- 7 Day Alkaline Diet Plan to Fight Inflammation and Disease
Although the alkaline diet may seem like the latest celebrity craze, you shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. Forget how you …
- Top 10 Plant-Based Protein Foods You Should Be Eating
Proteins (comprised of a variety of twenty amino acids) provide cell structure and serve as neurotransmitters between cells. There’s protein …
- How Taking Turmeric Helps Your Body Block Fat and Your Liver Remove Toxins as Fast as Possible
Turmeric, “the golden spice”, is a staple in India and surrounding regions. As of late, it’s becoming increasingly popular in …
- The First U.S. School District to Begin Serving Only Organic, GMO-Free Meals
Hail to the trailblazers! No one would argue the importance of nutrition, especially for children. As their bodies develop, they …
- Soak Chia Seeds To Supercharge Your Metabolism, Burn Fat And Fight Inflammation
You may have heard about chia pets, the adorable children’s toy made from sprouted seeds. These beloved toys are actually …
- 92 Alkaline Foods That Fight Cancer, Inflammation, Diabetes and Heart Disease
Human life, just like all life on earth, depends on appropriate pH levels in and around living organisms and cells. …
- 11 Good Reasons Why Ignoring Polyphenols In Your Diet Is a Big Mistake!
What is something that dark chocolate, green tea, red wine, blueberries, flaxseed, and coffee all have in common? Polyphenols! Polyphenols …