If you’re a real bonafide health nut, then chances are that you always have a few avocados in your kitchen. And while the green fruit sure is good on its own or in savory recipes, the creaminess of avocados lends itself well to sweet recipes too.
If you alarmed by the thought of how the slight bitterness of avocados works in a dessert, fret no more. Chocolate covers up the flavor, making it a delicious and nutritious combination.
Avocado Chocolate Cake Recipe
You’ll never look at chocolate cake the same way again!
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons organic cocao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed until smooth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups raw coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Grease and flour two 9” round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine all your dry ingredients except sugar.
- In another bowl, combine all your wet ingredients, including the avocado and whisk thoroughly.
- Add sugar to the wet ingredients and whisk again.
- Make a small dent in the dry ingredients and slowly pour the wet batter into the bowl, stirring to combine. Do not over-stir.
- Divide the batter evenly into the two pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes before removing the cakes from their pans and letting them cool completely.
If you wish, frost the cakes by making a frosting out of 2 ripe mashed avocados, 1 cup of fine-grain or powdered coconut sugar and 5 tablespoons of cacao powder. Whip up the frosting to get a thick, rich texture.
Once the cakes are completely cool, frost the top of the first cake and place the second cake on top on this layer of frosting. Frost the top and sides of the double-decker cake. Enjoy!
Why Use Avocados?
Avocados are chock-full of health benefits just waiting to be discovered.
Plus, the healthy fats in this fruit increases the bioavailability of nutrients like
- Vitamins – B-complex, C, E, K
These fats even naturally lower lowers LDL (“bad”cholesterol) and increases HDL (“good”cholesterol) to fight heart disease (2).
They also protect your brain from cognitive decline by improving brain mitochondrial function (3).
These fruit makes you shine from the inside out: first by improving your overall health, then by healing your skin. Surprisingly, these mighty fruits contain antioxidants that increase soluble collagen content in the skin and fight visible signs of aging (5).
- Here’s How To Make Your Own Kombucha Tea (You’ll Love This Probiotic-Rich Beverage!)
Kombucha is a fermented tea drink that has been gaining popularity recently due to many claims about its health-promoting properties. …
- Infuse Your Honey With Ginger In 20 Minutes For A Quick Immune System Boost
With winter just around the corner, most people are dreading the advent of cold season. Aside from staying warm and …
- 6 Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Did you know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? It’s never a good idea to skip …
- 3-ingredient Gluten-Free Bread To Effortlessly Keep You In Fat-Burning Mode All Day Long
One of the hardest things for celiacs and gluten-intolerant people to give up is bread. In fact, gluten is a …
- Juicing Recipes For That Irritating Sore Throat
Many of the foods in your local supermarket could actually be better at helping an irritating sore throat than over …
- Drink This Turmeric Juice For Its Anti-Inflammatory Properties (Just Blend All The Ingredients!)
Turmeric is a popular spice, particularly in India, where it is added to many dishes not only for it’s distinctive …
- 5 Mouth-Watering Apple Recipes
No need to over-complicate things when searching for that healthy snack in the supermarket when an apple can provide you …
- Simple Avocado Pudding That Can Balance Hormones, Boost Metabolism, And Fight Disease
When we think of pudding, we think of something sweet, creamy, and decadent. This recipe is all of that—except decadent. …
- Pine Needle Syrup For Lung Inflammation, Bronchitis and Respiratory Ailments
Here’s a simple recipe for a syrup that can be added to tea and other hot beverages or drunk on …
- If You Have Extra Onions In The Pantry, You’ve Got To Try This Mind Blowing Recipe!
Eating healthy isn’t always easy. It requires shopping for ingredients and time to cook. And sometimes, laziness can get the better of …
- Cauliflower, Coconut oil, Ginger, Turmeric Stew – Amazing!
There’s nothing like a nice cup of stew on a cold evening, especially when it’s full of nutritious veggies. Bursting …
- Cannabis Coconut Oil – Easy Recipe Combats Pain, Nausea, Seizures, and More
As scientific research takes baby steps into the medicinal qualities of cannabis, we find the door opening to an infinite …
- Curb Sugar Cravings With This Homemade Cinnamon Coconut Kefir Water
Kefir (pronounced kee-fer), a cultured milk product from the Caucasus Mountains in Eastern Europe, has seen a rise in popularity …
- 4 Easily Digestible Juice Recipes To Elevate Your Mood And Energy Levels
Depression is a mood disorder which affects the lives of many Americans. Left untreated, it can wreak havoc on your work …
- How To Make Water Kefir Using ONLY 3 Simple Ingredients!
I’d heard of kefir before – the milk based cultured yoghurt like beverage which many non vegans consumed for its …