Osteoporosis is a common condition that develops as we age. The elements of bone begin to decay, making them brittle and susceptible to fracture. “Osteoporosis” means “porous bone”.
Breaking a bone is a serious thing for older people: they are slower to heal and movement is often restricted.
Women are more likely to experience bone degeneration; it’s estimated that half of all women and one quarter of all men over fifty will break a bone due to osteoporosis.
Proper nutrition and exercise are critical to preventing osteoporosis.
To maintain bone mass we need to eat the minerals from which bone is made so our bodies can keep up. Calcium, iron, magnesium, folate, phosphorus, and vitamins B12, D, and K are critical for bone strength.
Omega-3 fatty acids are also important for reducing the risk of heart disease and keeping blood pressure and cholesterol at normal levels. Regular exercise and weight training (even light weights will make a difference!) also keep bones strong, maintaining bone density. Weight-bearing exercise also improves balance and muscle strength.
Enter this fabulous smoothie recipe.
Kale is rich in iron, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. It’s got loads of all the stuff you need for healthy bones (except vitamin B12) with vitamins A and C to boot. It’s versatile and is good raw or cooked. It’s pretty, too.
Bananas are full of potassium, as we know. They also are high in fiber (which we all need at every age) along with magnesium and other minerals, and phytonutrients that support the immune system–also increasingly important as we get older.
Blueberries contain a powerful, delicious antioxidant, potassium, and manganese–a mineral crucial to bone health. They add fiber and a sweet tartness to this smoothie.
Almonds are one of the most nutritional nuts, with protein, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium and the same amount of antioxidants as broccoli.
Chia seeds are a fiber and protein powerhouse. A member of the mint family, the seeds of the chia plant have been used since ancient times. Due to their nutrient density, they increase energy and stamina. Rich in fiber, calcium, omega fatty acids, and antioxidants, they support bone and brain health.
Blueberry Banana Almond Kale Smoothie
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup kale leaves, stems removed
- ½ large banana, peeled and frozen
- ¼ cup blueberries (frozen; you can freeze some fresh berries)
- ½ tablespoon raw almond butter
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
Combine all ingredients in a blender at highest speed until smooth.
- 200 calories
- 6 grams protein
- 30 grams carbohydrates
- 6 grams fiber
- 15 grams sugars
- 8 grams fat, 0.5 gram saturated fat
- 85 milligrams sodium
- Simple Trick Helps You Temporarily See Better When You Drop Your Glasses Or Lose a Contact Lens…
Many people experience vision problems – in the Netherlands, for example, more than 6 in 10 people wear glasses or …
- Gut Bacteria Imbalance Found To Be A Cause Of Parkinson’s Disease
It is only in recent years that science has begun to explore the role that bacteria in the digestive system …
- Big Pharma Whistleblower: Narcotic 100x Stronger Than Morphine Purposely Overprescribed
A former employee of the pharmaceutical company Insys is blowing the whistle on their unethical marketing practices. Patty Nixon used …
- Aspartame: Safety Approved In 90 Nations, But Damages Brain
NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, AminoSweet, Aspartame–po-tā-to, po-tă-to–all names for an artificial sweetener that has been linked to cancers, obesity and metabolic …
- Boost Testosterone Naturally With These 7 Tricks
If you’re looking for a way to heighten your levels of testosterone, there’s no need to resort to unhealthy, unnatural …
- 9 Anxiety Symptoms That Go Under The Radar and How to Handle it
Anxiety symptoms manifest in literally hundreds of ways. They can range from an extreme nervousness to chest pains and shortness …
- Can this Little Green Plant Really Shrink Prostate Tumors by 70%?
Prostate cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer in men and the fifth leading cause of cancer death worldwide. …
- Two Cans of Soda Drink a Day May Hurt Kidneys, Study Suggests
A study carried out on employees at a University in Japan has found that those who drank two or more …
- 5 Crucial Activities Your Brain Does While You Sleep
Gone are the days when we thought that our brains go to sleep with our bodies at night. We now …
- 9 Signs of a Leaky Gut (and how to Heal it)
The gut is the gateway to health. If your gut is healthy, chances are that you’re in good health. However, …
- Cleanse Your Colon Fast With These 8 Remedies!
If you regularly experience constipation and other gut or bowel issues, then it’s high time that you start cleansing your …
- Sepsis Killed This Woman’s Father And Knowing These Signs May Have Saved Him
A nurse once said, “if you’re sick, don’t go to a hospital”. This may seem silly and contradictory but it’s …
- Easy And Effective Yoga Stretches For Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief
If you’ve ever had numbness, pain and weakness starting in your lower back and traveling down the sciatic nerve in …
- Cannabis Reverses Aging Processes In The Brain Within 4 Weeks
Our brain performance decreases with age, like any other organ in the human body. Research performed at the Hebrew University …
- Spearmint and Rosemary Extracts Improve Memory
Rosemary for remembrance – at least that’s what the Victorian language of flowers says. Now a small study has added weight …