You may have never heard of Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), neither has most of the medical community. In fact, it’s been revealed that most gastrointestinal diseases may have been misdiagnosed. As it stands, SIBO could be the underlying reason behind 84% of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) cases (1).
SIBO occurs when there’s too much colon bacterial in the small intestine. This migration can occur from a lack of stomach acid, which normally would neutralize the bacteria or by poor pancreatic enzyme production. These bacteria interfere with normal intestinal function and causes mucosal inflammation.
The symptoms of SIBO mimic those of many other gastrointestinal problems (2). These include:
- Chronic diarrhea
- Excessive gas
- Weight loss
- Acid reflux or heartburn
- Nutrient malabsorption
- Abdominal pain
- Fatigue and weakness.
How To Tell If You Have SIBO
- You experience chronic gas, bloating, constipation or diarrhea when taking pain medication
- Constipation worsens when you eat more fiber
- You notice an improvement in IBS symptoms when taking antibiotics
- You constantly have low iron levels for no apparent reason
- Increased bloating from probiotics containing prebiotics
- Being Celiac but still having intestinal symptoms when eating gluten-free
- You have trouble digesting fats
How To Differentiate SIBO From Leaky Gut:
Half of all people diagnosed with SIBO also have leaky gut. The main difference between the two is that leaky gut affects the immune system.
It is possible to be affected by both diseases at the same time. SIBO can cause leaky gut, but not everyone with leaky gut has SIBO.
Signs of a leaky gut include:
- Numerous food sensitivities
- Rosacea, rashes or acne
- Poor concentration after meals
- Autoimmune diseases
- Respiratory problems
- Allergic symptoms
- Joint pain
Why Does SIBO Occur?
Certain medical conditions are strongly associated with SIBO. These are:
- Liver disease
- Kidney failure
- Liver disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Celiac disease
- Pancreatic insufficiency
- Decreased motility in small intestine
- Bowel obstruction
Here Are Other Conditions That May Trigger SIBO:
- Surgical bowel resection
- Weight loss surgery
- Food poisoning
- Nerve damage that affects the GI tract
- Drugs, like opiates
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- Restless leg syndrome
- Any disease that slows motility
How To Get A Diagnosis:
Your general practitioner can conduct one of two tests to determine if SIBO is the cause of your symptoms.
1) Lactulose breath test: this breath test is the most effective way to diagnose SIBO.
2) Analysis of stool and urinary organic acids: These tests can point towards SIBO but not diagnose it completely. They may be the first step in your diagnosis.
How To Treat SIBO:
Changing your diet can do wonders in restoring intestinal health.
Combined with the support of a naturopath or GP, it might even cure your disease.
- Fermented foods that increase histamine
- The Specific Carbohydrate Diet
- The GAPS Diet
- The autoimmune paleo diet
- The Low FODMAP diet
The following antimicrobacterial herbs will help restore balance in your small intestine as you begin your journey back to health.
- Oregano oil
- Garlic: Add fresh chopped garlic to salads or roasted garlic in your favourite sauces.
- Goldenseal: Golden seal tea will also relieve symptoms of fatigue and diarrhea (3).
- 6 Key Blood Tests You Haven’t Done But Should
When I was 24 years old I read the studies done by Drs. Brown and Goldsteine. They had just won …
- Some Guy Posted His Hospital Bill Online. You’ll See Why Everyone’s Talking About It.
In a Reddit post gone viral, a man explained that he went to the hospital for an appendicitis, and ended …
- Trucker Gets Off 25 Meds and Overcomes Cancer With Raw Food Diet!
Dave Conrardy is a former trucker who, not too long ago, was dying from cancer, heart disease, diabetes, kidney leakage, …
- Aluminum in Deodorants Can Cause Breast Cancer. Use Lime to Eliminate Body Odor
Sweating is never fun, unless you’re in a sauna. Sweating allows your body to get rid of toxins and prevent overheating. …
- Mom Says This Diet Cured Her Son’s Autism
The incidence of autism spectrum disorders (ASD) has exploded in the United States from 1 in 5000 children in 1975 …
- Watch How Cannabis Ravages Cancer Cells. This Is Mind-Blowing.
Believe it or not, marijuana actually has a long-standing use in Native American traditional medicine and was considered a cure-all …
- 2 Breathing Tricks To Help You De-Stress And Improve Digestion
Breathing is one of the most natural and essential acts for a living being. It’s an automatic reflex that requires …
- 14 Reasons Why You’re Always Tired
The quick answer to why you’re tired is that you don’t get enough sleep. That’s sometimes not the case, however; some habits and …
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar To Dissolve Kidney Stones
Kidney stones (renal lithiasis, nephrolithiasis) are small, hard deposits that form inside your kidneys. The stones are made of mineral …
- Work Before Ten AM Is “Torture”: Here’s How To Have More Energy
Waking up in the morning is easy, but getting out of bed with energy is hard. Since we can’t create …
- Wearing Sunscreen May NOT Prevent Skin Cancer, Study Claims
Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States; in the last 30 years, people have manifested skin …
- Why You Should Use Essential Oils Instead of Antibiotics
All too often when you go to the doctor with an illness such as a cold or the flu or …
- Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make on Their Deathbed
(originally written by Bronnie Ware) For many years I worked in palliative care. My patients were those who had gone …
- 5 Simple Steps to Reverse the Effects of Aging
Why is it that some people seem to age slowly and gracefully, while others look haggard at a relatively young …
- 12 Types of Pain That Are Directly Linked To Emotional States
You may have noticed that people who are often ill tend to be pretty negative. Of course, it’s hard to …