Did you know that IBS is the most common functional gastrointestinal disorder in the entire world?
It’s estimated that between 10 and 15% of Americans suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and it can lead to a number of additional health problems.
If medication to treat your IBS isn’t working, why not look into herbal remedies–such as peppermint oil.
You’ll find that there are a surprising number of benefits of peppermint oil for IBS.
Read on to find out everything you need to know…
Benefits of Peppermint Oil for IBS
A number of studies have been done into how peppermint oil can help to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and the results have been very promising!
For example, one study published in 2005 examined the effects of peppermint oil on over 650 patients(1). The patients who took peppermint oil (capsules containing roughly 200 mg) showed significant improvement over the patients in the placebo group. The study actually closed by saying:
“Taking into account the currently available drug treatments for IBS, peppermint oil may be the drug of first choice in IBS patients with non-serious constipation or diarrhea to alleviate general symptoms and to improve quality of life.”
A study done back in 1997 proved that peppermint oil (mixed in a formula called Colpermin) helped to reduce all of the symptoms of IBS(2). 79% of the patients taking the peppermint oil noticed diminished abdominal pain, 83% experienced a reduction in the frequency of stool, and 79% noticed a decrease in flatulence.
Another study, published in 2013, found that peppermint oil helped to control the pain associated with IBS-caused diarrhea(3). 74 participants enrolled in the study, receiving either a placebo or peppermint oil capsule thrice daily over the course of six weeks. At the end of the study, the patients who took the peppermint oil capsule showed marked improvement.
Note: The results of this study proved that the benefits were transient. Two weeks after the patients stopped taking the peppermint oil, the pain returned.
As you can see, peppermint oil can help to reduce the pain and abdominal discomfort that accompanies IBS for as long as you take it. The beauty of this remedy is that it’s fairly easy to get your hands on peppermint oil!
Other Benefits of Peppermint Oil
There are a lot of benefits of peppermint oil for IBS, but there are also a few benefits for other conditions:
- Flatulence — Peppermint oil helps to relax the muscles of your intestines, allowing gas to escape your body before it builds up and causes bloating.
- Indigestion –– Peppermint oil increases bile flow, which ensures that fats are broken down more efficiently. It also helps to relax the stomach muscles and helps food pass through your digestive tract more quickly. Note: Acid reflux/GERD sufferers should avoid peppermint oil.
- Headaches –– Tension headaches and migraines can both be treated by peppermint oil. Simply massaging the oil into the temples is a proven remedy for dealing with headaches, and the scent of the peppermint helps to relieve the pain.
- Colds/Flu –– Worried about your cough or cold? Rub a bit of peppermint oil on your chest or inhale the scent of the oil. It will loosen up the phlegm in your lungs and throat, making it easier for you to breathe. It can also help to deal with sore throats and a dry cough!
- Skin Irritations/Rashes –– Got a rash or an irritation caused by hives, poison ivy, or poison oak? Rub a bit of peppermint oil on your skin, and it will do wonders to soothe and cool the inflamed area.
- Top 10 Natural Ways to Keep Your Brain Fit
Your brain—not to be confused with your mind—is one of the more vital organs in your body. Its health affects …
- 4 Easy Ways to Remove BPA From The Body
Why should someone care about endocrine-disruptors? The effort to walk away from damaging chemicals becomes easier when one sees what …
- 5 Things You Do That’s Slowly Killing Your Brain
There are many things out of our control, and our environment is one of them. Some of the things in …
- 5 Ways Exercise Can Help Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea, also known as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a serious health condition that causes interrupted breathing during sleep. …
- Bloated? Anxious? Nobody Told You These 5 Essential Oils Can Help Reset Your Hormones
Hormones aren’t something anyone gives much thought, but when they aren’t balanced, they may lead to serious health problems. In …
- How to Cure Pneumonia Naturally With Vitamin C
Pneumonia is the eighth killer disease in the world. It is caused by both bacteria and viruses. One is likely …
- Vitamin D3 Shown To Significantly Improve Autism
Autism is a condition that we have all heard of, but very few people actually understand what it entails. This …
- High Intensity Endurance Workouts Could Damage Your Heart
Is your exercise routine causing serious damage to your heart? A recent article in The New York Times shed light …
- Drink Thyme Tea Every Morning To Help With Fibromyalgia, Hashimoto’s, Arthritis, Lupus, and Multiple Sclerosis
While spices like garlic and turmeric may be better known for their medicinal effects, they certainly aren’t the only flavoring …
- Heartburn Pills Damage Your Heart, Kidneys And Bones…Here’s What You Can Do To Fix This
Heartburn is one of the most common digestive disorders in the United States. Left untreated, acid reflux can cause irritation …
- Put Ice On This Meridian Point To Get Rid of Headaches In Just 15 Minutes
Individuals and practitioners alike have been investigating the implementation of the Chinese Meridian System. It has been the custom of …
- Fight Kidney Stones With This Refreshing Lemonade Recipe
Kidney stones are one of the most painful health conditions out there. Since they’re caused by a combination of factors, …
- 6 Natural Food Sources For Healthy Eyes
With the proliferation of processed, ready-made foods, vitamin A deficiency is increasing world-wide—though its incidence in the United States is …
- Use This Doctor’s Proven Technique and Relieve Your Foot and Heel Pain!
Foot pain might not be life-threatening, but it can seriously challenge your mobility. If you spend long hours on your …
- The Best Way to Clear Your Skin of Zits and Blemishes
Dr. Mike Evans, a physician and academic, has an excellent approach to treating acne. The secret? It doesn’t sound that …