Did you know that IBS is the most common functional gastrointestinal disorder in the entire world?
It’s estimated that between 10 and 15% of Americans suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and it can lead to a number of additional health problems.
If medication to treat your IBS isn’t working, why not look into herbal remedies–such as peppermint oil.
You’ll find that there are a surprising number of benefits of peppermint oil for IBS.
Read on to find out everything you need to know…
Benefits of Peppermint Oil for IBS
A number of studies have been done into how peppermint oil can help to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and the results have been very promising!
For example, one study published in 2005 examined the effects of peppermint oil on over 650 patients(1). The patients who took peppermint oil (capsules containing roughly 200 mg) showed significant improvement over the patients in the placebo group. The study actually closed by saying:
“Taking into account the currently available drug treatments for IBS, peppermint oil may be the drug of first choice in IBS patients with non-serious constipation or diarrhea to alleviate general symptoms and to improve quality of life.”
A study done back in 1997 proved that peppermint oil (mixed in a formula called Colpermin) helped to reduce all of the symptoms of IBS(2). 79% of the patients taking the peppermint oil noticed diminished abdominal pain, 83% experienced a reduction in the frequency of stool, and 79% noticed a decrease in flatulence.
Another study, published in 2013, found that peppermint oil helped to control the pain associated with IBS-caused diarrhea(3). 74 participants enrolled in the study, receiving either a placebo or peppermint oil capsule thrice daily over the course of six weeks. At the end of the study, the patients who took the peppermint oil capsule showed marked improvement.
Note: The results of this study proved that the benefits were transient. Two weeks after the patients stopped taking the peppermint oil, the pain returned.
As you can see, peppermint oil can help to reduce the pain and abdominal discomfort that accompanies IBS for as long as you take it. The beauty of this remedy is that it’s fairly easy to get your hands on peppermint oil!
Other Benefits of Peppermint Oil
There are a lot of benefits of peppermint oil for IBS, but there are also a few benefits for other conditions:
- Flatulence — Peppermint oil helps to relax the muscles of your intestines, allowing gas to escape your body before it builds up and causes bloating.
- Indigestion –– Peppermint oil increases bile flow, which ensures that fats are broken down more efficiently. It also helps to relax the stomach muscles and helps food pass through your digestive tract more quickly. Note: Acid reflux/GERD sufferers should avoid peppermint oil.
- Headaches –– Tension headaches and migraines can both be treated by peppermint oil. Simply massaging the oil into the temples is a proven remedy for dealing with headaches, and the scent of the peppermint helps to relieve the pain.
- Colds/Flu –– Worried about your cough or cold? Rub a bit of peppermint oil on your chest or inhale the scent of the oil. It will loosen up the phlegm in your lungs and throat, making it easier for you to breathe. It can also help to deal with sore throats and a dry cough!
- Skin Irritations/Rashes –– Got a rash or an irritation caused by hives, poison ivy, or poison oak? Rub a bit of peppermint oil on your skin, and it will do wonders to soothe and cool the inflamed area.
- 5 Things You Can Do Now To Prevent Dementia Later
Many believe that degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and dementia are completely unpreventable. But that just isn’t the case. There …
- Cancer Tumours Destroyed By Berry Found In Queensland Rainforest
Nature is the biggest source of inspiration for all of humanity’s greatest achievements. So it’s not surprising that researchers have …
- How to Cure Pneumonia Naturally With Vitamin C
Pneumonia is the eighth killer disease in the world. It is caused by both bacteria and viruses. One is likely …
- The Scary Truth About Sleeping Pills
We’ve all had sleepless nights — lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering why our brains keep chugging along …
- Easy And Effective Yoga Stretches For Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief
If you’ve ever had numbness, pain and weakness starting in your lower back and traveling down the sciatic nerve in …
- Chronic Lack of Sleep Causes Your Brain to EAT ITSELF
While you sleep, your body repairs itself through a myriad of processes. When you don’t get enough sleep, these repair …
- 12 Ways Your Body is Alerting You to Liver Damage
There’s no organ in your body that works harder than your liver. It’s the largest internal organ (and gland) and …
- Heartburn Pills Damage Your Heart, Kidneys And Bones…Here’s What You Can Do To Fix This
Heartburn is one of the most common digestive disorders in the United States. Left untreated, acid reflux can cause irritation …
- Are You at Risk for Kidney Disease? Measure Your Hip to Waist Ratio
By now, it’s fairly common knowledge that fat carried in the abdominal region is more dangerous than fat carried in …
- Sleepless Children Are Aging Faster At A Cellular Level
The importance of sleep is often overlooked but it really can’t be over-emphasized. While you sleep, much of your body …
- 5 Crucial Activities Your Brain Does While You Sleep
Gone are the days when we thought that our brains go to sleep with our bodies at night. We now …
- Nobody Knows About This Rare And Little-Known Symptom of BREAST CANCER
Dimples are cute on the face. Not so cute on a breast—in fact, dimpling and skin changes can be an …
- 5 Ways to Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome
IMAGINE HAVING A CONDITION with symptoms so severe that you can’t leave the house, yet your doctor calls it a …
- Pharma Execs Arrested In Conspiracy to Create Opioid Addicts for Profit
Drugs use has always been an issue for some people. But it was always something that happened to someone else. …
- Common Household Chemicals May Impair Thyroid in Young Girls
The first study to examine the link between thyroid development/function and phthalate exposure in children has just been published, and …