Your liver is essential to your overall health. This large organ works by filtering and processing blood as it circulates through the body, metabolizing nutrients, producing blood-clotting proteins, and detoxifying harmful substances.
Without a functioning liver, your body would shut down. Fortunately, the liver is its own natural detoxification system and you can support it by treating it well.
Here are some tips for keeping your liver healthy and in good working order:
1. Check the labels on your food.
Watch out for sugar, fructose, and other additives, like artificial flavors, colors and sweeteners, as well as soybean oil and other low-quality oils and trans fats. Fructose in particular is bad for your liver – like alcohol, it can cause fatty liver disease when consumed in excess(1).
2. Avoid consuming too much alcohol.
While moderate amounts of red wine can be good for you, too much puts a strain on your liver, which is responsible for processing alcohol. Excessive and chronic alcohol use can cause cirrhosis of the liver(2), so it’s a good idea to give your liver a break from alcoholic beverages every now and then.
3. Avoid foods which you know you’re allergic to, even if it’s just a mild allergy.
This is just common sense, but in case you needed an extra incentive, know that food allergies can weaken liver function and place stress on your body’s natural detox systems(3).
4. Stay hydrated.
Common wisdom is that you should drink 8 glasses of water a day – that’s about 2 litres of water – spread throughout the day. The reason it’s a good idea to stay hydrated is that it helps flush toxins out through the bladder and bowels, which helps place less stress on your liver.
5. Eat organic.
Non-organic foods can contain pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics, all of which must be filtered through the liver. It’s also a good idea to use natural and organic household products as well; remember that the skin is extremely absorbent, and toxins can enter your body through the skin easily.
6. Eat a diverse, balanced diet with plenty of veggies and fermented foods.
Fermented foods help support your gut’s natural microbiome – the multitude of bacteria that live in your gut and help produce everything from digestive enzymes to serotonin(4). A healthy gut and digestive tract lessens the amount of work the liver has to do as part of the body’s filtration system. A balanced diet will also give you plenty of vitamins and minerals, which can strengthen your body’s immune system and support liver function(5).
- Your Crock-Pot Is Leaking Lead Into Your Food! (Here’s An Inexpensive Way To Test It)
A slow cooker can be a treasure trove for cooks. Fill it in the morning and you come home to …
- 4 Real Risk Factors For Heart Disease You Shouldn’t Ignore
The world is full of information. It’s also full of misinformation. Sometimes it’s hard to know which is which, especially …
- How Essential Oils Affect Your Vision. What Not Enough People Know About
Essential oils from plants have been found to provide relief and healing for a wide variety of human conditions. As …
- This Bug’s Bite Can Make You Temporarily Allergic to Red Meat
It’s a bizarre, circuitous story. The best kind. Several years ago, a researcher working on the development of cancer drug …
- 10 Unusual Ways to Live Longer
Want to live longer? Check out these ten unusual ways to extend your longevity. 1. Wait Longer to Retire While …
- Here’s 9 Essential Antioxidants To Help Protect Your Body From Free Radicals
We’ve all heard about antioxidants and how great they are for our health. But what exactly are antioxidants and how do …
- 9-Year-Old Girl Who Used Cannabis To Cure Her Cancer Shares A Message With The World
Now that the myths, stigma, and criminalization of cannabis are beginning to clear, we in North America are seeing what …
- I Feel 5 Years Younger – An Eye Cream Made Of 3 Ingredients: It Erases Wrinkles Like An Eraser!
One of the most telling signs of aging is wrinkles. And once they’re there, there’s almost nothing you can do …
- 5 Ways to Stop Headaches Without Popping a Pill
Headaches, no matter how common they may seem, should be taken seriously and addressed immediately. This debilitating condition, often described …
- 7 Relaxing and Restorative Yoga Poses For a Better Night’s Sleep
Some people find that as they age, sleep comes less easily to them than it used to. If this is …
- See What Happens When You Drink Coffee On An Empty Stomach
There are many health benefits to drinking good quality coffee. But drinking it first thing in the morning isn’t the …
- This Is Why You Should Never Let Your Dog Lick You!
Warning: the content that follows is not for the squeamish. Humans and dogs have been companions for thousands of years …
- 15 Ingredients To Supercharge Your Smoothies To FIGHT Cancer And Inflammation
You’ve probably already heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This is because it kick starts …
- 7 Best Ways to Make Your Own Compost to Grow Gigantic Vegetables
If you’ve been yearning to start composting – this is the year to do it! Composting mimics nature’s recycling plan, …
- 4 Weird Ways To Protect Against Parkinson’s Disease
Perhaps the most famous person living with Parkinson’s disease is the actor Michael J. Fox. Since his diagnosis in 1991, …