Coconut water is well-known as a popular health drink, with many benefits – as a post-workout beverage to help you rehydrate (1), as a means of controlling hypertension (2), and even as a way of helping to reduce oxidative stress (3).
It’s little wonder that coconut water has become ubiquitous in recent years, sold not only at health food stores but in most grocery stores and drug stores as well.
However, not all commercial coconut waters are created equal. Some bands contain harmful chemicals, or are processed in ways that undermine the nutritional content of the drink.
How To Spot Unhealthy Coconut Water
Healthy coconut water comes from fresh, young coconuts. However, there are several packaging and extraction methods that negatively impact the quality of the drink. Here are some common mistakes that manufacturers make:
1. Using mature coconuts instead of young coconuts.
The water from young green coconuts is more nutritionally dense than water from mature coconuts. Mature coconuts, which are cheaper than young coconuts, are better for the production of coconut oil and coconut milk.
2. Making coconut water from concentrate instead of using fresh coconut water.
The process of reducing coconut water to a concentrate and then reconstituting it causes it to lose many of the vital nutrients that make it so healthy. Manufacturers use these concentrated syrups because they are cheaper to import than fresh coconut water.
3. Using heat to pasteurize fresh coconut water.
Coconut water is perishable – it needs to be refrigerated in order to keep from spoiling. To prolong its shelf life, some manufacturers use heat to pasteurize coconut water so it will last longer unrefrigerated. Unfortunately, the heat in this process destroys many of the nutrients contained in coconut water.
4. Using preservatives to sweeten and flavor the coconut water.
If coconut water has extra preservatives and sweeteners listed in the ingredients, chances are it’s made from mature coconuts instead of young coconuts. Young coconuts have a naturally sweet flavor that does not require extra sweeteners; mature coconuts have a slightly bitter taste.
5. Using chemicals to preserve coconuts for transport.
Many non-organic coconuts are preserved using known carcinogens and other toxic chemicals, such as formaldehyde or sodium metabisulphite.
Which Brands Should You Be Avoiding?
When it comes to branding, many companies sink big bucks into marketing their products, including coconut water, as being organic or “100% pure”. However, what you see may not be what you’re actually getting in the case of the following common coconut water brands:
1. Coco Libre – while this brand is marketed as organic, their coconut water is made from concentrate, instead of being fresh.
2. Cona Zona – This is another brand that reconstitutes its coconut water from concentrate.
3. Goya – A staunch opponent of GMO labeling in California, Goya uses heat pasteurization and added preservatives in the production of its coconut water.
4. Naked Juice Coconut Water and O.N.E. Coconut Water – These brands are subsidiaries of Pepsi. Naked Juice has faced a class action lawsuit for using synthetic substances in their produce while practicing deceptive labelling, and O.N.E. Coconut Water uses flash pasteurization.
5. Vita Coco – This brand flash-pasteurizes its coconut water using heat and also contains added preservatives such as carrageenan.
6. Zico – Zico is a Coca-Cola company, and a major GMO supporter. Their coconut waters are not only made from concentrate, but also contain added flavors.
What To Look For When Buying Coconut Water
So you know which brands to avoid – what makes a brand of coconut water good?
Generally the things to look for are high-pressure pasteurization (or HPP), an indication that the coconut water you are buying is not made from concentrate, and a list of ingredients that isn’t a mile long.
It may seem daunting, but savvy grocery shopping will go a long way when it comes to getting the most out of their coconut water!
- 10 Reasons To Drink More Apple Cider Vinegar
You may not think of apple cider vinegar as something that is a boon to your overall health, but it …
- The Shocking Truth About Naked Juice ‘Exposed’
(originally written by Max Goldberg) The lawsuits against industrial food companies just keep piling up. First, it was Wesson Oils who …
- This Mouthwatering Egg Recipe is Perfect for Lazy Mornings
They say breakfast, your first meal of the day, is the most important one. But it’s also the most often skipped. …
- FDA Approves New Artificial Sweetener That’s 20,000 Times Sweeter Than Table Sugar.
Sweet. A new artificial no-calorie high-intensity sweetener–an aspartame derivative–has been recently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for …
- Superfood Hot Chocolate With Coconut Oil, Maca + Turmeric!
There’s nothing more comforting than a warm cup of hot cocoa on a cold day. While it’s a true winter …
- Aspartame Turns Into Formaldehyde And Methanol In The Body: Donald Rumsfeld Got It Legalized
Processed foods may be approved by the FDA, but they aren’t without controversy. Aspartame, commonly sold as NutraSweet® and Equal®, …
- The Microalgae That Delivers Nutrients To Your Cells Without Taxing Your Liver or Digestive System
Marine phytoplankton (also known as microalgae) are single-cell micro-organisms that live in natural bodies of water all over the world. …
- Top 10 Worst Things That Can Happen When You Run Out Of These Important Nutrients
No matter who you are, your body needs a variety of vitamins and minerals to stay up and running. If …
- Here’s Why You Should Drink Watermelon Juice Every Day This Summer!
One of the joys of summer is the luscious fruits. The biggest of these in many ways is watermelon. One …
- Shocking Ingredients Used in McNuggets – TBHQ!
Have you ever wondered what’s in McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets other than a small piece of chicken? You’ll be surprised to …
- 7 Ingredients That Are Depleting Your Body of Important Nutrients
Unless you’re living on a farm in the middle of nowhere, chances are you consume at least some packaged foods. …
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Ginger
If you think GINGER is only useful in the kitchen, think again! Ginger is proven to have various beneficial effects …
- Here’s 11 Reasons Why You Won’t Regret Adding THIS Jelly To Your Diet (Amazing Healing Properties!)
We all know that gelatin is the colorless, flavorless stuff that comes from the collagen in animal bones, but you’ll …
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Eating Liver
In the west when we think of super foods we usually picture avocados or strawberries but in many other cultures …
- Is Beer Responsible For Your Belly?
Most of us are familiar with the term “beer belly” – that protruding gut most commonly associated with middle-aged men …