Baking soda is a common staple in many kitchens, used for home cleaning and in cooking as well. But this safe, accessible ingredient can be used in several personal hygiene and health recipes too!
Try using baking soda in these natural recipes, which serve various purposes, from skin care to helping treat acid reflux.
1. Baking Soda As A Deodorant
You don’t have to solely rely on chemical-loaded antiperspirants, which can cause nasty allergic reactions(1) in many individuals. In addition, aluminum filled deodorants may be linked to cases of breast cancer(2). Baking soda deodorant is effective, easy to make and safer to use.
Simply mix a teaspoon of baking soda with a small amount of water – enough to create a milky paste. Spread the paste in a thin layer under your armpits.
The baking soda will neutralize body odour naturally.
2. Baking Soda For Skincare
Baking soda can be a powerful exfoliate – try soaking your feet in warm water with baking soda to help get rid of the dead skin that can build up on your feet!(3)
However, some caution should be used when you’re applying baking soda to your skin. Definitely never use it as skincare for infants(4), and exercise common sense when it comes to using it on your face – baking soda is a 9 on the pH scale, while your skin has a pH of around 4.5 to 5.
While some people, including celebrities, swear by baking soda as a facial cleaners(5), if you try it out and notice a burning sensation where you’ve applied the baking soda, wash the baking soda off with water immediately.
3. Baking Soda For Insect Bites
While it may not be recommended to use baking soda as a facial scrub, it can certainly help ease the pain and irritation of insect bites.
Simply make a paste using baking soda and a little water – similar to the technique used in making baking soda deodorant – and apply it to the bug bite directly(6).
4. Baking Soda Toothpaste
Baking soda is often used in commercial toothpaste, but if you want to try making your own toothpaste, it’s surprisingly easy!
Mix together 2/3rds of a cup of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 10-15 drops of peppermint essential oil with enough water to form the mixture into a thick paste.
5. Baking Soda For Acid Reflux And Ulcer Pain Relief
Baking soda is also a common ingredient in antacids, which are used to treat acid reflux, heartburn and pain associated with ulcers.
According to the Mayo Clinic, to relieve heartburn or “sour stomach”, adults and teenagers can take between 1 and 2 1/2 teaspoonfuls of baking soda in a glass of cold water after meals(7).
Now you know the many uses for baking soda that go beyond baking and housecleaning, so be sure to stock up the next time you’re grocery shopping – you never know when it might come in handy.
- See How Much Fat You Can Burn By Adding Prunes, Kefir And Oats To Your Morning Breakfast
Skipping out on your first meal of the day is never a good idea, unless you actually know what you’re doing. In …
- 5 Ways To Stop Absorbing Other People’s Negative Energy
Nothing can bring you down as much as being around negative people. So how do you prevent people’s negative energy …
- This Is What It Means To Season Your Cast Iron Pans With Coconut Oil
While ceramic and glass cookware have been popular for a while, old-fashioned cast iron cookware is coming back into style. These …
- Make This Powerful Anti-Inflammatory Drink To Detox Your Body
The human body is bombarded with toxins every single day. It is in the air at work and the yard …
- 5 Simple Steps to Reverse the Effects of Aging
Why is it that some people seem to age slowly and gracefully, while others look haggard at a relatively young …
- USDA Says: Okay To Ship U.S. Chickens to China for Cheap Processing Then Back Home For You to Eat
A new shipping and processing policy allowing chickens raised and slaughtered in the U.S. to be shipped to China for …
- GMO Advocate Says Weedkiller is Safe to Drink…Watch What Happens When He’s Offered a Glass!
Former Greenpeace president and current advocate of GMOs Patrick Moore made a scene on French television, when a reporter asked …
- 5 Vital Health Screenings Every Men Over 50 Should Do
As each year passes you by, your body is constantly changing and trying to keep up with all the demands …
- What Happens When You Eat 3 Whole Eggs Every Day…You’ll Be Surprised What It Does To Your Body!
Why eat more eggs? A few years ago, health organizations issued a warning about the cholesterol contained in eggs. Like many other …
- Research Suggests Childhood Cancer Linked to Highway Pollution
At the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research this past week, researchers presented data suggesting childhood health …
- 3 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar In Your Beauty Regimen And The #1 Mistake To Avoid
Apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular foods when it comes to natural remedies and do-it-yourself beauty products, …
- Why You Should Stop Buying Hand Sanitizer Immediately…See What It Does To Your Skin!
Hand sanitizer is the of the most common household products in the United States. Most families and schools rely on …
- 7 Relaxing and Restorative Yoga Poses For a Better Night’s Sleep
Some people find that as they age, sleep comes less easily to them than it used to. If this is …
- This Fatty Liver Cleanse Will Reset Your Metabolism And Jumpstart Your Fat Loss
Your liver plays about 500 different functions, including neutralizing toxins, fighting infections and manufacturing proteins and hormones (1). It even …
- The Worst 5 Phones To Carry On You If You Want To Avoid Cancer
Cell phones do a great job at connecting people. The problem is, they may be slowly poisoning us with every call …