Who doesn’t love maple syrup? It’s sweet and goes well with french toast or pancakes!
But maple syrup is so much more than just sugar and flavor. In fact, according to researchers at a Canadian University, it could be a way to fight off bacterial infections and reduce our reliance on antibiotics.
Maple Syrup Extract = Antibiotic Superhero
Chemical engineers from Canada’s McGill University have made an epic discovery: maple syrup may be the next best thing to treat bacterial infections. Better still, it could one day come to replace antibiotics. How is this possible?
Maple syrup contains natural plant phenols, a compound that is found in the sap of the North American maple tree. When the sap is concentrated to make maple syrup, the phenols are also concentrated. Those extra-strength phenols are effective at fighting bacteria.
To determine just how effective they were, the Canadian researchers purchased locally-sourced maple syrup in Montreal. The samples were frozen then used to prepare a syrup with extra-strength phenolic compounds. They exposed the phenol-rich syrup to different strains of bacteria–UTI-causing Proteus mirabilis and E.coli, one of the main causes of food poisoning.
Alone, the maple syrup proved to only be “mildly” effective at getting rid of the bacteria. But when mixed with a course of antibiotics, it performed much, much better.
According to Nathalie Tufenkji, lead researcher in the study,
“We found that it makes the bacteria more susceptible to antibiotics and it also makes the bacteria less able to build biofilms.”
The extract acted “synergistically” with the antibiotics, enabling the medication to destroy communities of bacteria that had proven resistant to antibiotics alone. The maple syrup stopped the bacteria from expressing genes that made them resistant to the medications.
So what does this mean for you? How can this benefit you in your daily life? Simply put, this discovery could make dealing with difficult and hard-to-treat infections (such as recurring UTIs) potentially easier. If maple syrup stopped the bacteria from being resistant to the medication, it would enable the antibiotics to do their job much more easily.
“We would have to do in vivo tests, and eventually clinical trials, before we can say what the effect would be in humans. But the findings suggest a potentially simple and effective approach for reducing antibiotic usage. I could see maple syrup extract being incorporated eventually, for example, into the capsules of antibiotics.”
Health Benefits of Maple Syrup
Here are a few more reasons to add maple syrup to your life:
Fight cancer. That’s right, the phenolic compounds in maple syrup fight toxins and free radicals. These antioxidants can help to reduce your risk of cancer as well as osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s.
Prevent colds. The manganese and zinc in maple syrup will give your immune system a boost and help you fight colds.
Improve skin health. Apply a bit of maple syrup to your skin and watch it glow! Just like Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and other topical antioxidants, the phenolic compounds in maple syrup can do wonders for your skin.
Aid in digestion. Beat the bloat of eating sweet foods by cooking with maple syrup. It’s far less likely to lead to gas, nausea, and indigestion.
- Aboriginal Plant Extracts Show Properties That Can Help Treat Diabetes and Cancer, Study Finds
Type 2 diabetes is a serious public health concern in many countries – it’s one of the fasted growing metabolic …
- Practicing Mindfulness Can Help Improve Your Blood Sugar Levels
Mindfulness exercise training has been proven to be therapeutic in various aspects of health. It can improve cognitive function, reduce stress, …
- New Technology Helps Stimulate The Immune System to “Relentlessly Attack” Cancer Cells
When it comes to breast cancer, the best offense is a good defense – early detection, quickly followed up by intensive …
- Two Common Food Additives Linked To Obesity and Gut Inflammation (They’re Often Found in Ice Cream!)
Two common food additives known as emulsifiers – compounds which preserve foods like mayonnaise and stop them from separating – could …
- Researchers May Have Found a Way To Stop Breast Cancer From Spreading To The Bones
A breakthrough study published in the journal Nature has the potential to dramatically improve survival rates of thousands of breast …
- Muscle Supplements Like Creatine or Androstenedione Increases Your Risk of Testicular Cancer
Supplements are all the rage these days! From vitamin supplements for normal people to multivitamins for pregnant mothers to protein …
- Here’s What Your Handshake Can Tell You About Your Heart Attack And Stroke Risk
Having a firm handshake can be to your benefit in job interviews, but what else can you tell about a …
- 3 Surprising Foods That Help You Burn Fat (No. 2 Is Definitely Something You’ll Want To Try!)
Losing weight is something many people struggle with, but it doesn’t have to be a constant battle. By boosting your …
- These 50 Snacks Sold In The U.S. Contain a Synthetic Additive That Can Disrupt Your Hormones
The Harvard School Of Public Health has released a recent study(1) which claims that a chemical used in many food …
- Sleep Apnea Responsible For Early Memory Loss And Cognitive Decline, Study Finds
It’s a well-documented fact that sleep is good for your brain. When you sleep: Your brain is able to consolidate …
- Biomarkers In Urine Test Help Doctors Detect Early Stage Pancreatic Cancer With Over 90% Accuracy
Of all the different forms of cancer, pancreatic cancer has one of the lowest five-year survival rates. This is in …
- What Happened To This Family After They Started Eating Organic For 2 Weeks Straight Is Amazing!
While numerous studies have been done on the subject of pesticides in food and their impact they can have on …
- Researchers Discover That Plucking Hair In a Specific Pattern Helps Stimulate Regrowth
Baldness is a prospect that scares people more than most diseases and health disorders. The reason for this is that …
- Just One Night of Sleep Loss Is Enough To Alter The Genes In Your Cells
Many of us think very little of messing with our sleep schedules. Students pull all-nighters when studying for (or celebrating …
- Researchers Discover That Alzheimer’s Disease Worsens 2X As Fast In Women Than Men
Roughly two-thirds of Americans suffering from Alzheimer’s disease are women(1). Researchers asking why have come to a startling conclusion. Women, …