Who doesn’t love maple syrup? It’s sweet and goes well with french toast or pancakes!
But maple syrup is so much more than just sugar and flavor. In fact, according to researchers at a Canadian University, it could be a way to fight off bacterial infections and reduce our reliance on antibiotics.
Maple Syrup Extract = Antibiotic Superhero
Chemical engineers from Canada’s McGill University have made an epic discovery: maple syrup may be the next best thing to treat bacterial infections. Better still, it could one day come to replace antibiotics. How is this possible?
Maple syrup contains natural plant phenols, a compound that is found in the sap of the North American maple tree. When the sap is concentrated to make maple syrup, the phenols are also concentrated. Those extra-strength phenols are effective at fighting bacteria.
To determine just how effective they were, the Canadian researchers purchased locally-sourced maple syrup in Montreal. The samples were frozen then used to prepare a syrup with extra-strength phenolic compounds. They exposed the phenol-rich syrup to different strains of bacteria–UTI-causing Proteus mirabilis and E.coli, one of the main causes of food poisoning.
Alone, the maple syrup proved to only be “mildly” effective at getting rid of the bacteria. But when mixed with a course of antibiotics, it performed much, much better.
According to Nathalie Tufenkji, lead researcher in the study,
“We found that it makes the bacteria more susceptible to antibiotics and it also makes the bacteria less able to build biofilms.”
The extract acted “synergistically” with the antibiotics, enabling the medication to destroy communities of bacteria that had proven resistant to antibiotics alone. The maple syrup stopped the bacteria from expressing genes that made them resistant to the medications.
So what does this mean for you? How can this benefit you in your daily life? Simply put, this discovery could make dealing with difficult and hard-to-treat infections (such as recurring UTIs) potentially easier. If maple syrup stopped the bacteria from being resistant to the medication, it would enable the antibiotics to do their job much more easily.
“We would have to do in vivo tests, and eventually clinical trials, before we can say what the effect would be in humans. But the findings suggest a potentially simple and effective approach for reducing antibiotic usage. I could see maple syrup extract being incorporated eventually, for example, into the capsules of antibiotics.”
Health Benefits of Maple Syrup
Here are a few more reasons to add maple syrup to your life:
Fight cancer. That’s right, the phenolic compounds in maple syrup fight toxins and free radicals. These antioxidants can help to reduce your risk of cancer as well as osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s.
Prevent colds. The manganese and zinc in maple syrup will give your immune system a boost and help you fight colds.
Improve skin health. Apply a bit of maple syrup to your skin and watch it glow! Just like Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and other topical antioxidants, the phenolic compounds in maple syrup can do wonders for your skin.
Aid in digestion. Beat the bloat of eating sweet foods by cooking with maple syrup. It’s far less likely to lead to gas, nausea, and indigestion.
- Drinking Sugar-Sweetened Sodas Can Cause Diabetes Even In People Who Aren’t Obese, Study Finds
Sugar-sweetened drinks are bad for you. We’ve known this for some time: many studies show that sugary drinks like sodas …
- Eating Peanut Butter Can Help Manage Your Appetite And Blood Sugar Levels, Study Finds
If you’re looking to manage your appetite and your blood sugar levels you may need to look no further than …
- Endocannabinoid Deficiency Could Be To Blame For Your Chronic Health Conditions, Study Finds
The medical uses of cannabis are a hotly contested area of medicine right now; with many states in the USA …
- Active Nutrient In Turmeric Shows “Very Promising” Cancer-Fighting Properties, Study Finds
Turmeric is a bright orange spice commonly used in Indian cooking. Over the past few years, it has gained notoriety as …
- Forgiving Others Is Good For Your Mental Health
Are you the kind of person who has a tendency to hold on to a grudge? If so, you could …
- This Robotic Seal Pup Is Being Used to Help Patients With Dementia to Relax
This invention for patients living with dementia is as cute as it is potentially therapeutic. Named Paro this robotic baby …
- Diabetics Are 4X More Likely To Develop Frozen Shoulder Syndrome (You Need To Know About This!)
What is frozen shoulder syndrome and what is its connection with diabetes? New research from the American Diabetes Association has …
- As Weird As This May Sound, Regular Visits To The Dentist Could Help Keep Your Prostate Healthy
Prostatitis – chronic inflammation of the prostate – is one of the most common urological infections among adult men, with …
- U.S. Bill HR4432 Would Pre-empt States’ Regulations on GMO Labeling
Last year, a bill was introduced in Congress to override individual states’ requirements for labeling food that contains genetically-modified organisms …
- Solar Panel Farm Grows 17,000 Tons Of Food Without Soil, Pesticides, Fossil Fuels Or Groundwater
Farming is probably the world’s oldest profession and something that is obviously universal to every culture and race in the …
- Researchers Discover ‘Missing Link’ Between Brain and Immune System (This Changes Everything!)
A recent study has turned decades of medical education on its head by reporting a direct connection between the brain …
- Researchers Discover That Alzheimer’s Disease Worsens 2X As Fast In Women Than Men
Roughly two-thirds of Americans suffering from Alzheimer’s disease are women(1). Researchers asking why have come to a startling conclusion. Women, …
- Scientists Discover a Way To Generate LIGHT By Using Pomegranate Juice And Turmeric Extract
LED technology is something many people rely on for emergency lighting, but the fact of the matter is that these …
- Ireland Makes Gutsy Move Against Tobacco Industry And Bans Branded Packaging
Following in the footsteps of Canada and other countries that have chosen to federally regulate the appearance of cigarette containers …
- Researchers Warn Against The Use of This Popular Brand of Statins Because of Serious Side Effects
Have you ever looked into just how many drugs there are to treat heart disease? Go to any medical website …