There are many common causes for indigestion – eating too much is probably one of the most common, but it’s important not to overlook other factors. Infections and illnesses like gastritis can cause indigestion, as well as food allergies and a lack of physical activity.
Fortunately, there’s no shortage of home remedies for indigestion. Here are a few simple and easy home remedies that have been proven to be effective.
- Apple cider vinegar is a good digestive aid, you can simply drink a tablespoon of it before eating or mix it into water to drink
- Drinking green tea or herbal tea aids in digestion (1)
- Drink half a glass of pineapple juice after your meal
- Drink a cup of ginger tea after eating (2), for best result, you can mix a spoon of lemon juice and two spoons of honey together with the warm ginger tea, this can cure heartburn and nausea effectively
- Banana can ease indigestion due to the natural antacid properties it contains
- Turmeric can prevent stomach-acid buildup to promote digestion
- Drink a glass of aloe vera juice in the early morning on empty stomach may ease indigestion problems (3)
- Chamomile tea works well too, for indigestion. Just simply mix one tablespoon of dried chamomile flower with boiling water and drink it 2-3 times a day (4)
- Eat some grapes when you experience indigestion, this super fruit is very good at easing any type of digestion problems
- Just simply sipping a glass of hot water may ease indigestion too
- Chewing a fresh garlic clove together with some salt 10 minutes around before meal time
- Mix equal parts of baking soda and water in a cup for instant relief
- Cumin seeds are also effective in curing indigestion, just mix one teaspoon of them in a glass of water and drink it
- Mix one teaspoon of fresh coriander leaf juice with a pinch of salt and drink it
- Drink a tablespoon of cinnamon water after an hour after eating helps to relieve indigestion
- Half a glass of carrot juice mixed with half a glass of water is helpful
- Mix 2 drops of peppermint oil with 8 oz. of cold water, drink a glass of it when you have indigestion (5)
Reducing Symptoms At The Source
In addition to these methods for treating indigestion when it’s already happening, it’s important to take a preventative approach as well. You can do this by maintaining healthy eating habits.
If you know that spicy food gives you indigestion, tone down the spice in your meals. Don’t force yourself to overeat just because you don’t want leftovers.
As tempting as it can be to wolf down a meal when you’re in a hurry, try to avoid eating too quickly, and make sure you chew your food properly. Finally, avoid exercising immediately after eating – this one is easy, since most people don’t feel like exercising on a full stomach anyway.
When To See A Doctor
While indigestion normally is no big deal, if you’re experiencing regular bouts of it, it might be a good idea to talk to a healthcare professional about it. This is especially true if your indigestion is accompanied by regular nausea and acid reflux.
If you find yourself vomiting after meals and experiencing a burning sensation in your stomach, you could have gastritis or an ulcer that are contributing to your indigestion. These are serious conditions, but they can be treated with medical intervention, so don’t hesitate to approach your doctor if you’re experiencing these symptoms.
If your indigestion is irregular and mainly prompted by overeating or indulging in too much spicy food, however, one of the above home remedies should do the trick for you with ease.
- How To Naturally Improve Your Eyesight With These 16 Eye Exercises
Laser surgery and glasses aren’t the only ways to maintain your eyesight. Similar to how working out keeps your body fit, regular exercise …
- 5 Ways to Reduce Inflammation Naturally
Inflammation is categorized as a condition that is physical and in which a certain part of the body becomes swollen, …
- Why It Pays (For Your Health) To Be Optimistic
In life there are two types of people: those who view the glass as half full, and those who see …
- 5 Detox Teas To Flush Out Toxins From Your Body And Nurture The Good Bacteria In Your Gut
While it’s more common to focus on popular health subjects such as weight loss, disease prevention, or physical appearance, many …
- If You Notice a Dark Ring Around Your Neck, Go See Your Doctor Immediately! This Is What It Means
Obesity rates have been on the rise over the last decade. In fact, there are more and more cases of …
- Are You Damaging Your Teeth By Brushing Them?
Strong, white teeth are a god indicator of a healthy lifestyle. However, recent studies have indicated that brushing your teeth …
- 4 Comfortable Sleeping Positions for Couples
Sleeping with a partner is nice. Sometimes. Other times, it can affect the healthy sleep of both people and force …
- 7 Relaxing and Restorative Yoga Poses For a Better Night’s Sleep
Some people find that as they age, sleep comes less easily to them than it used to. If this is …
- How To Get Rid of Strep Throat Fast And Without Antibiotics
A painful and inflamed throat is a good indication that you may have a strep infection. Strep throat is very common and …
- When He Got Diagnosed With Stage 4 Cancer, His Son Suggested That He Try THIS and It Worked!
Could you use something as simple as baking powder or baking soda to treat cancer? One man, Vernon Johnston, used …
- Don’t Spend Your Money On Pedicure, Two Ingredients from Your Kitchen Can Make Your Feet Look Nice
When it comes to skincare, your hands and face are always the ones being spoiled with luxurious creams and treatments. …
- 7 Common Conditions That Cause Chronic Pain
Pain hurts. The good news is that it is a symptom, your body’s way of telling your brain that something …
- Beware: Ineffective Vaccine Might Make This a Bad Flu Season
Scientists are warning that this year’s flu vaccine may not be as effective as normal, which could lead to more …
- Are You Washing Your Hands Correctly?
You probably wash your hands more times a day than you can count, but if you’re like most people, it’s …
- 4 Little-Known Facts About Osteoporosis You Need To Know
According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, roughly 54 million Americans are affected by osteoporosis and low bone mass. This isn’t …