Diabetes is a disease that affects nearly 10% of the U.S. population, and yet it’s a disease that so few people understand.
Here are a few important facts you need to know about diabetes:
1. Diabetes is caused by resistance to insulin.
Insulin is the hormone that regulates blood sugar. When you eat food, your body turns carbs and fats into blood sugar. When sugar levels rises, insulin helps to lower blood sugar. Persistent high levels of blood sugar cause your body to become desensitized to the messages transmitted by insulin, thus causing you to become insulin-resistant.
2. A surprising number of people in the U.S. have diabetes and don’t know it.
According to the CDC, roughly 8.1 million diabetics go undiagnosed.
3. Diabetes is becoming a serious threat.
It’s estimated by the World Health Organization that diabetes will be the 7th leading cause of death in the next 15 years. The total number of deaths caused by diabetes is projected to rise by 50% in the next decade alone.
4. A staggering number of people in the world suffer from diabetes.
According to the WHO, nearly 350 million people in the world have diabetes. If diabetes was a country, it would have a bigger population than the United States!
5. Type 2 Diabetes is the most common form.
6. Even when not fatal, diabetes can cause pretty serious problems.
Diabetes is one of the primary causes of kidney failure, amputation, and blindness.
7. Losing weight is the easiest way to prevent and treat diabetes.
Even just losing 10 to 15 pounds can help to reduce your risk of diabetes drastically, or deal with an existing condition.
8. Diabetes is an expensive health problem.
It’s estimated that diabetes costs the U.S. around $245 billion dollars in 2012.
9. Men with diabetes have it bad!
It’s estimated that roughly 50 to 80 percent of the men suffering from diabetes will develop erectile dysfunction. Men with diabetes also develop ED problems roughly 10 to 15 years earlier than those who do not.
 Adamec, Christine. 2002. The Encyclopedia of Diabetes. New York, NY: Facts on File, Inc.
- No Evidence of Aloe Vera Found in the Aloe Vera at Wal-Mart, CVS
Aloe vera is one of the most popular home remedies throughout the Americas. While it used to be a folk …
- The Toxic Food Additive In Bread You Didn’t Know You Were Eating…And How To Avoid It
The use of Potassium Bromate in the bread making process is wide spread within the United States; however, it has …
- 5 Common Risk Factors for Kidney Disease
Stay on the lookout for kidney disease—a silent killer that lurks quietly and strikes with dangerous consequences before most people …
- Top 11 Reasons Why Your Metabolism Isn’t Working at 100%
In spite of all the information and all the prescriptions offered by modern diets, people just keep getting fatter. This …
- This Ancient Technology Helps Keep Food Fresh Without Electricity
In North America, we have become completely reliant upon electricity in virtually every aspect of our lives. The supply of …
- How To Test For Low or High Stomach Acid In Seconds With Apple Cider Vinegar
If your stomach is producing too much acid, often you’ll experience symptoms. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or “acid reflux”) is …
- 5 Vital Reasons to Shed That Excess Weight
If you have been struggling to muster up the motivation to lose that excess weight that has been lurking for …
- Chewing Broccoli And Watercress Unlocks Natural Compounds That Kill Cancer Cells Within 24 Hours
You’ve probably heard of eating foods of every color of the rainbow throughout the day, but if you have a …
- Never Light These Candles In Your Home No Matter What – Here’s Why
Candles have a way to set the mood. Whether it’s a nice relaxing bath or a romantic dinner, flickering candles …
- Vitamin B17 May Treat Cancer But Is Illegal In The U.S.!
Ever hear of vitamin B17? Probably not. It’s found in nuts, berries, leafy greens, sprouts, tubers, and in abundance in …
- 10 Daily Mistakes You Make That Age You Faster
Aging is inevitable. Since it’ll happen anyways, why not make it graceful? Life is the result of a series of …
- Why Seven Hours of Sleep Might be Better than Eight
You can live without food much longer than you can go without sleep. We’ve been told that eight hours of …
- FDA Is Recalling Turmeric From THESE Brands Due To Lead Contamination
Since turmeric is a health food as well as a medicine, it’s essential to buy the high-quality stuff. Low-quality spices …
- Are You Damaging Your Teeth By Brushing Them?
Strong, white teeth are a god indicator of a healthy lifestyle. However, recent studies have indicated that brushing your teeth …
- 8 Foods To Flush Out Nicotine From Your Body
If you’re trying to quit smoking, eating more fruits and vegetables will make you three times more likely to succeed. via …