The human brain is truly a marvelous thing!
Scientists understand only a fraction of what the brain is capable of and how it works, and there are tremendous discoveries and breakthroughs being made every day. The mysteries of the human brain are slowly being unlocked, and with every new revelation, a bit more is understood. Researchers at Denmark’s University of Copenhagen made a fascinating discovery: to have a healthier brain, you need to eat more fat (1). This isn’t very surprising if you consider that two-thirds of the brain is composed of fat (2).
How Fat Keeps Your Brain Healthy
Fat is one of those words that makes you instinctively cringe. You’ve heard how saturated fat can kill you by causing heart attacks and strokes. You’ve heard how trans fats can lead to cancer and a host of other health problems. You’ve heard that eating too many fatty foods will cause acne, obesity, and diabetes.
But now experts are starting to realize that some fats are actually very important to health. Saturated fats are no longer blamed for heart disease. Dieticians and nutritionists are going out of their way to recommend high-fat foods as “healthy”.
According to the research done in Denmark, your brain needs fat in order to function optimally.
Fatty acids–such as the ones in olive oil, coconut oil, yoghurt, and nuts–have proven to be effective at protecting your brain from degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
“Our study suggests that a high-fat diet can postpone aging processes. A diet high in fat also seems to postpone the aging of the brain. The findings therefore potentially imply that patients with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease in the long term may benefit from the new knowledge,” says researcher Vilhelm Bohr who is with the Center for Healthy Aging at the University of Copenhagen.
Fats Help Repair Damaged Cells
The brain uses glucose as its fuel source, but when there is no glucose available, it turns to fat reserves by converting it into ketones. In lab tests, the Danish scientists noted brain benefits when the fat from coconut oil, which contains a special type of fat called medium chain fatty acids, was used by the brain.
In their research on aging problems in the brain, the scientists also found that having extra fat in brain cells could help them repair genetic damage more handily.
“… We therefore hope that a diet with a high content of coconut oil or similar fats will have a beneficial effect, because the brain cells are given extra fuel and thus the strength to repair the damage,” says researcher Morten Scheibye-Knudsen who is with the Danish National Institute of Health.
Thanks to this study, dieticians and nutritionists are recommending a diet that contains a bit more fat. But not the unhealthy, artificial trans fats (which are linked to a wide range of health disorders) but healthy fats that will protect your brain.
Want to know what foods to eat to get more healthy, brain-protecting fatty acids? Try these:
- Coconuts (and coconut oil)
- Olives (and olive oil)
- Nuts (walnuts, in particular)
- Seeds (flax, chia, etc.)
All of these foods contain healthy fats, which will go a long way toward not only protecting your brain (as the research suggests), but can help you to lose weight and will prevent heart disease as well.
Eating the right kind of fat is definitely good for your health!
- Breakthrough Research Could Lead To Potential Treatment To Stop Diabetics From Going Blind
A new scientific breakthrough could eventually save diabetics from losing their eyesight. Diabetic retinopathy is a condition which causes blindness …
- This College Student Ate McDonald’s For 10 Days And Lost Nearly 1,400 Species of Gut Bacteria
We all know that a diet of regular fast food isn’t good for us, but just how unhealthy is it? …
- Researchers Develop Unique Molecule That Makes HIV Vulnerable to Antibodies From The Immune System
HIV vaccine technology may have taken a huge step forward recently, thanks to researchers at the University of Montreal in …
- Endocannabinoid Deficiency Could Be To Blame For Your Chronic Health Conditions, Study Finds
The medical uses of cannabis are a hotly contested area of medicine right now; with many states in the USA …
- Sleeping Next To Your Mobile Device is a Terrible Idea And Here’s Why…
If you go to sleep with your cell phone near your bed, you’re not alone. More and more people are …
- Taking a 45-Minute Nap During The Day Can Improve Your Memory by Fivefold, Study Finds
Who doesn’t love a good nap? While naps are considered important for children in early phases of development, they are equally …
- With Less Than a Year Left of Water Supply, California Wants To Turn Sea Water Into Drinking Water
According to experts like Jay Famiglietti, a senior water scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California is currently experiencing …
- Cannabis Oil Cured Girl’s Leukemia After HPV Vaccine Broke Down Her Body
Did you know that many children who have received the Gardasil vaccine have also been affected by leukemia and other …
- Study Shows That Eating Protein in Equal Amounts Throughout The Day Is Better For Muscles
Go to any fitness and bodybuilding website and scroll through the articles, and you’ll find hundreds or even thousands talking about …
- Eating Peanut Butter Can Help Manage Your Appetite And Blood Sugar Levels, Study Finds
If you’re looking to manage your appetite and your blood sugar levels you may need to look no further than …
- Shocking Investigation Reveals Herbal Supplements From GNC, Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens are FAKE!
For the millions who shop for store-brand herbal supplements at mega retailers like Walmart, you’re in for a big surprise. …
- This Type of Bacteria Produces Toxins That Make You More Prone To Insulin Resistance, Study Finds
Over 350 million people are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes every year, with an estimated 9.3% of the population of …
- Teach Your Grandparents How To Use Facebook. It Could Help Keep Their Memories Sharp, Study Finds.
According to preliminary research from a University of Arizona graduate student, learning to use Facebook could offer adults over the …
- Studies Reveal THIS Raw Food Could Be ‘The Answer’ To Resistant Superbugs (And It’s Sweet!)
Antibiotic resistance is a major issue facing healthcare providers today, giving rise to the prevalence of “superbugs” that can’t be …
- This Novel Microfluidic Device Helps Identify Cancer Cells That Can Spread Throughout The Body
What makes some cancer cells break away from tumors and spread to other parts of the body? Cancer becomes increasingly …