Alzheimer’s disease is an international health concern – the sixth leading cause of death in the United States, and the fifth leading cause of death for seniors, it affects an estimated 5.2 million Americans, including some 200,000 individuals under the age of 65 with early-onset Alzheimer’s.
In addition, it is the most expensive condition in the United States – nearly one in every five dollars spent by Medicare is spent on people with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia.
But there’s a new treatment that may represent a breakthrough in the study of Alzheimer’s disease, and is relatively inexpensive as well: according to the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, music therapy can help people living with Alzheimer’s manage mood and stress, as well as help facilitate better cognitive function and motor skills.
How Does It Work?
Music can help Alzheimer’s patients access memories and emotions, which can greatly improve patients’ quality of life. Studies using brain imaging technology have shown that music can trigger the release of dopamine in the brain, boosting a patient’s mood and connecting them to positive memories.
Due to the dopamine connection, music is fundamentally linked to positive memories, and can be incredibly therapeutic to those struggling with dementia.
See also: preventing Alzheimer’s
The aim of music therapy, according to neurologist Oliver Sacks’s book Musicophilia, is to “address the emotions, cognitive powers, thoughts and memories, the surviving ‘self’ of the patient… to enrich and enlarge existence, to give freedom, stability, organization and focus.”
Music therapy isn’t only used in treating Alzheimer’s disease. It has been proven to be effective in helping people with Autism spectrum disorders regulate emotion, as well as in improving the moods of stroke patients, reducing anxiety in ventilator-dependent patients, and providing multiple benefits for people living with Multiple Sclerosis. Music can also greatly improve productivity at work.
- http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/jobs/how-music-can-improve-worker-productivity- workstation.html
- Preventing Alzheimer’s & Dementia Naturally – 9 Diet & Lifestyle Habit Changes
Alzheimer’s is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States. It actually kills more people than breast cancer …
- High Blood Sugar Levels Are TOXIC To Your Brain And Increases Your Risk of Developing Alzheimer’s
Many researchers have dedicated efforts to exploring the links between Alzheimer’s and type 2 diabetes. A past study showed that …
- 6 Steps To Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s is a disease that many fear developing later in life because it can come with little warning and does …
- 5 Spices That Can Help Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer’s disease is the most common type of dementia. Dementia means a person is suffering symptoms including memory loss, confusion, …
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids May Help Prevent Alzheimer’s
The positive link between Omega-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular health is well-established. Doctors and researchers are now examining other potential …
- Death Rate From Alzheimer’s Up 55% Since 1999 And Better Quality Sleep Could Be The Solution
Compared to the 1999 statistics from the US Centers For Disease Control and Prevention, deaths related to Alzheimer’s disease increased …
- Alzheimer’s Test: Can You Smell Peanut Butter?
Detecting Alzheimer’s disease may soon be as easy as testing a patient’s sense of smell. As part of research into …
- Natural Compound in Fruits and Veggies Prevents Alzheimer’s
Riddled with deposits of a peptide called beta-amyloid, the brain can become consumed with plaque, which builds up in the …
- Could Meditation Delay the Progression of Alzheimer’s Symptoms
Many people have experienced the benefits of meditation in coping with the stresses and strains of daily life. Recent research …
- This Amazing Village Was Made Just For People With Dementia and Lets Them Live Normally And Safely
In the town of Weesp, Netherlands, an enclosed village set up especially for those suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia is …
- The Link Between Aluminum Exposure And Alzheimer’s Disease Can No Longer Be Ignored
Breast cancer awareness groups have long been warning about the risks of aluminum exposure through contaminated anti-antiperspirants (1). Aluminum is …
- Study Shows Drinking Coffee Daily Helps Reduce Brain Plaques and Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
Who doesn’t love a nice cup of coffee in the morning? There’s nothing like waking up and coming downstairs to …
- These 4 Herbs Can Protect Your Brain From Alzheimer’s, Depression, Anxiety And Much More
Negative feelings, like positive ones, are all in your head. All emotions evoke physiological reactions. Sometimes it’s hard to get …
- 7 Warning Signs of Alzheimer’s-Related Memory Loss
While early-onset Alzheimer’s disease can strike at any time, Alzheimer’s is most common in adults over the age of 60, …
- Researchers Have Discovered a Non-Invasive Way To Treat Alzheimer’s And Restore Memory
Researchers in Australia studying the effects of ultrasound technology on Alzheimer’s in mice may have found a way to clear …