Variation – Salamba Sarvangasana
“Salamba” means “support” in Sanskrit. This pose places supports under the shoulders and begins and ends with bent knees to ease the weight and pressure of Sarvangasana. Watch the video below for detailed instruction on this pose variation.
2. Matsya Asana – Fish Pose
This pose stretches the back and elongates the neck and thyroid. It is an instrumental follow-up to Sarvangasana for stretching the neck in the opposite direction, promoting blood flow, opening the neck, and stimulating the heart and thyroid.
Keep in mind to not perform this pose if you have a back or neck injury.
- Lie flat on your back, toes pointed toward the sky, arms at your sides.
- With palms down, place your hands under your buttocks with thumbs touching under you. Tuck your forearms close to your torso.
- With elbows and forearms pressing into the floor, inhale and raise your chest and head, arch your back, and allow your head to drop back behind you until it touches the floor. Your back should be curved and your head resting comfortably on the crown or slightly toward the back of your skull.
- Take several deep breaths. Avoid focussing the weight on your head—push into the floor with the heels of the feet, arms, and buttocks, using your abdominal and back muscles to support your upper body weight.
- Hold for at least half the time you held your Sarvangasana pose.
- As you exhale, release the head, straighten your back, and slowly lower down to the floor.
- Raise your pelvis to move your hands from under you to your sides.
For advanced variations of fish pose, keep watching the video.
Take advantage of your thyroid’s resilience and give it extra attention so it continues to work properly. Ancient practices still work to stretch and open constricted muscle and connective tissue, improve blood and lymph flow, reduce stress, and stimulate the endocrine system of which the thyroid is a part.
- Common Household Chemicals May Impair Thyroid in Young Girls
The first study to examine the link between thyroid development/function and phthalate exposure in children has just been published, and …
- Bloated? Anxious? Nobody Told You These 5 Essential Oils Can Help Reset Your Hormones
Hormones aren’t something anyone gives much thought, but when they aren’t balanced, they may lead to serious health problems. In …
- Green Tonic Recipe to Balance Hormones and Support Your Thyroid
The thyroid is a gland in your neck that produces hormones (TS3 and TS4) responsible for growth and overall metabolism …
- 13 Reasons For Hormone Imbalance Most People Don’t Realize
When people hear the word hormone, they often think of testosterone, estrogen, and sometimes progesterone. However, adrenaline, insulin, cortisol, thyroxine, melatonin, …
- 6 Foods You Absolutely Need To Avoid If You Suffer From a Thyroid Disorder
Thyroid conditions can affect your energy, weight and overall health. Here’s why… This butterfly-looking gland is responsible for the production …
- 15 Ways To Reduce Endocrine Disruptors In Your Kitchen
When patients come to me for help in taking charge of their health, one of the essential changes I encourage …
- 7 Easy Ways to Optimize Your Hormones (and Be Your Best at Any Age)
As its name implies, growth hormones stimulate growth, cell reproduction and regeneration in humans. Growth hormone diminishes as you age, …
- 10 Ways to Balance Your Hormones for Health, Energy and Weight Control
With so many known medical conditions out there, it can be hard to find out the root cause of our …
- All The Signs, Symptoms, Triggers and Treatments of Hypo and Hyperthyroidism
According to the American Thyroid Association, an estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease. Up to 60 …
- 4 Easy Ways to Remove BPA From The Body
Why should someone care about endocrine-disruptors? The effort to walk away from damaging chemicals becomes easier when one sees what …
- How to Reset Your Thyroid to Burn Fat and Activate Your Metabolism
It’s estimated that over twelve percent of the population in the developed world will experience a thyroid problem at some …