Variation – Salamba Sarvangasana
“Salamba” means “support” in Sanskrit. This pose places supports under the shoulders and begins and ends with bent knees to ease the weight and pressure of Sarvangasana. Watch the video below for detailed instruction on this pose variation.
2. Matsya Asana – Fish Pose
This pose stretches the back and elongates the neck and thyroid. It is an instrumental follow-up to Sarvangasana for stretching the neck in the opposite direction, promoting blood flow, opening the neck, and stimulating the heart and thyroid.
Keep in mind to not perform this pose if you have a back or neck injury.
- Lie flat on your back, toes pointed toward the sky, arms at your sides.
- With palms down, place your hands under your buttocks with thumbs touching under you. Tuck your forearms close to your torso.
- With elbows and forearms pressing into the floor, inhale and raise your chest and head, arch your back, and allow your head to drop back behind you until it touches the floor. Your back should be curved and your head resting comfortably on the crown or slightly toward the back of your skull.
- Take several deep breaths. Avoid focussing the weight on your head—push into the floor with the heels of the feet, arms, and buttocks, using your abdominal and back muscles to support your upper body weight.
- Hold for at least half the time you held your Sarvangasana pose.
- As you exhale, release the head, straighten your back, and slowly lower down to the floor.
- Raise your pelvis to move your hands from under you to your sides.
For advanced variations of fish pose, keep watching the video.
Take advantage of your thyroid’s resilience and give it extra attention so it continues to work properly. Ancient practices still work to stretch and open constricted muscle and connective tissue, improve blood and lymph flow, reduce stress, and stimulate the endocrine system of which the thyroid is a part.
- Common Household Chemicals May Impair Thyroid in Young Girls
The first study to examine the link between thyroid development/function and phthalate exposure in children has just been published, and …
- Here’s How Eating Coconut Oil Can Help Support Healthy Thyroid Function
If you’re one of the 20 million Americans affected by a thyroid disease(1), you know that thyroid function is essential …
- 4 Easy Ways to Remove BPA From The Body
Why should someone care about endocrine-disruptors? The effort to walk away from damaging chemicals becomes easier when one sees what …
- 10 Ways to Balance Your Hormones for Health, Energy and Weight Control
With so many known medical conditions out there, it can be hard to find out the root cause of our …
- 6 Foods You Absolutely Need To Avoid If You Suffer From a Thyroid Disorder
Thyroid conditions can affect your energy, weight and overall health. Here’s why… This butterfly-looking gland is responsible for the production …
- 15 Ways To Reduce Endocrine Disruptors In Your Kitchen
When patients come to me for help in taking charge of their health, one of the essential changes I encourage …
- Adrenal Fatigue: What It Is And 17 All-Natural Ways To Treat It
Adrenal insufficiency syndrome is more widespread than you might think. Your adrenal glands don’t often get the attention they deserve and …
- Menopausal Weight Gain: 4 Hormones Other Than Estrogen That Need Your Attention
Our bodies are constantly changing. Your metabolism now isn’t what it was when you were three, nor is your body …
- How to Reset Your Thyroid to Burn Fat and Activate Your Metabolism
It’s estimated that over twelve percent of the population in the developed world will experience a thyroid problem at some …
- All The Signs, Symptoms, Triggers and Treatments of Hypo and Hyperthyroidism
According to the American Thyroid Association, an estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease. Up to 60 …