Have you ever wondered what the numbers on some of the foods you buy really mean? It’s actually a lot more important than you think.
The digits you see printed on stickers are also known as the price look-up code (PLU).
The four or five digit numbers that you see help to identify foods that are genetically modified, organically grown or conventionally produced (use of pesticides/herbicides). Here’s what you need to know:
4-Digit PLU Code
The 4-digit PLU codes you see on apples, for example, tell the checkout lady which is a small Fuji (4129) and which is a Honeycrisp (3283). She’ll know what to charge you and the inventory elves will know what’s what. (source)
If there are only four numbers in the PLU, this means that the produce was grown conventionally with the use of artificial pesticides.
5-Digit PLU Code
1. Starts with “8”: If there are five numbers in the PLU code, and the number starts with “8”, this tells you that the item is a genetically modified fruit or vegetable. A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be: 84011.
According to the World Health Organization, “GMOs can be defined as organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally”.
2. Starts with “9”: Any number starting with a nine is organic. It is grown organically and is not genetically modified. An organic banana would be: 94011.
How Reliable Are These PLU Codes?
Except for number 9, all the other numbers are pretty much useless. Why?
Because number 8 wasn’t designed to be used by consumers. It was created so that retailers could distinguish between a GMO and a non-GMO for price or inventory purposes. (source)
Since GMO labeling isn’t required across the country, most grocery stores don’t use the number 8. And why would they? Most Americans say they would avoid GMOs if they were labeled.
In other words, you might be seeing a 4-digit code on a produce, but that doesn’t guarantee that it’s not a GMO.
Here’s a quick graph that show, the 10 GMO crops (in green) being produced in the United States and approved for commercial use. (source)
For more information about this table go here.
4 Tips To Avoid GMOs
- Buy organic.
- Look for products labeled “GMO free.”
- Download the Non-GMO Shopping Guide here.
- Buy foods that are locally grown and in season.
- Scientists Examine Brain Cells While Healing Intention Is Directed Towards Them – Here’s What Happened
Spiritual healing practices like Reiki and Johrei are often relegated to the realm of pseudoscience, which is why it’s so …
- Don’t Spend Your Money On Pedicure, Two Ingredients from Your Kitchen Can Make Your Feet Look Nice
When it comes to skincare, your hands and face are always the ones being spoiled with luxurious creams and treatments. …
- Dry Skin Brushing Helps Detox Your Skin And Reduce Cellulite…Here’s How To Do It Correctly!
Your lymphatic system plays an important role in helping your body get rid of waste and toxins. One of its main …
- Kid Scientist Accidentally Discovers Sweet Pest Control
Not that anyone will cry over the loss of some fruit flies but one boy’s science experiment resulted in just …
- This is What Happens to Your Body 10 Hours After Putting on Nail Polish
Take a look at your hands, what do they look like? If you’re a woman, your fingernails are probably painted …
- If You Get a Creeping Feeling in Your Legs at Night, This is What it Means!
“Restless Leg Syndrome” doesn’t sound very scientific, but it’s more descriptive than how it’s otherwise referred: Willis-Ekborn Disease. Restless leg …
- Is Pollution Increasing Your Cancer Risk?
Researchers continue to find that exposure to certain pollutants can cause cancer… and some areas in the United States are …
- The U.S. Lost One-third of All Honeybee Colonies Last Year…Here’s Why You Should Care!
Between April 2016 and April 2017, roughly 33% of honeybee colonies in the US died. Over the last decade, annual …
- Here’s Why Enameled Cast Iron Cookware Is The Best
What you cook your food in is as important as the food itself. Non-stick and aluminum cookware are known to …
- Your Liver is FULL of Aluminum, Start Eating These Foods To Get Rid of It Immediately!
Aluminum is a naturally occurring metal. But just because its natural, doesn’t mean that it’s okay for the human body …
- This 2-Ingredient Combination Boosts Weight Loss if You Drink it Every Morning on an Empty Stomach
Your long-term health doesn’t come down to how many diets you’ve been on or how many time’s you’ve gone on …
- Medicine For More Than 50 Diseases: This Super Tea Kills Parasites And Cleanses The Body of Toxins
Many of the ingredients used in this tea have been proven to help in the prevention of many deadly diseases …
- Losing Control Over These 3 Emotions Is a Sure Way To Kill Your Brain
Strokes are frightening, no matter how you look at it. The third leading cause of death in the United States …
- This Is What Sleeping On Your Left Side Can Do For Your Brain, Stomach And Lymphatic System
The way you sleep affects your health much more than you may think. Sleep give our bodies a chance to …
- 6 Ways You’re Causing Your Own Memory Loss
Memory loss is a common side effect of aging. Most of us know that we’re supposed to stay mentally active, …